Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trouble syncing phone to M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my M3 and we had trouble trying to sync the phone contacts and music to the car. The process started and when it came to the last few seconds of finalizing, it would terminate the connection. We rebooted the phone, we rebooted the car. no luck. Spent at least an hour trying to get this to work. The Tesla technician finally stated it was my phone and not the car. Anyone else having this type of problem?

Just picked up my M3 and we had trouble trying to sync the phone contacts and music to the car. The process started and when it came to the last few seconds of finalizing, it would terminate the connection. We rebooted the phone, we rebooted the car. no luck. Spent at least an hour trying to get this to work. The Tesla technician finally stated it was my phone and not the car. Anyone else having this type of problem?
Funny - I just had this problem today also. I went to drive, tried to play music from my phone, but the car said it wasn’t connected. This persisted while I ran errands around town despite rebooting the car and my phone, trying to manually connect the phone through Bluetooth etc. When I went to use the car later on, I was able to connect again. Not sure what happened but it now works.

I’ve had the car for 5 days now and this is the first time this occurred.

www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/8mm161/tesla_model_3_bluetooth_contact_sync_fix/ 11 months ago 6/2018

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I have struggled with Bluetooth Contacts/Call History Sync problems since taking possession of our Tesla Model 3 LR AWD on 10/31/2018. My workaround was to Disable Contacts/Call History, which makes hands-free calling all but impossible. I had a Google Pixel XL cellphone, finally gave up and upgraded to a new Samsung Galaxy Note 9, but the Sync problem persisted. I performed a careful search of all 1000+ of my Google/Gmail Contacts for the "&" character and replaced it with "and" (or deleted the offending Contact) in every case, after a second pass today 5/6/2019 this FINALLY fixed the Sync problem after nearly 6 months and 6 different Tesla Service Requests / Tesla Service Center visits. Note that the characters ,./()- are all perfectly OK, just the character & appears to cause the problem (and perhaps the unusual characters #!@$%^*<>+= used in the contact title/name ???). You would think Tesla would fix this, they admitted to me that they have had many owners who have had this same Contacts Sync problem. I am running Tesla Model 3 Software Version 2019.12.1.2. 5c87371 (just installed 5/5/2019).

Last edited by a moderator: