Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TruLift 4000# Ratching Scissor Jack Review (Modern Spare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all,

Several TMC members asked me to post some pictures and a review of the subject scissor jack; so here it goes -

1) It's quite heavy, so I believe the 4000# rating
2) Nice rubber pad, albeit a bit small, for interfacing with your Jack Pad of choice
3) Fits under the car, with Jack Pad installed, and appears it will also work when the tire is flat.
4) Not as much leverage on the ratchet handle as I would like. Takes a lot of effort once you get half way up (due to weight of the M3 and shortness of ratchet handle); kinda hurts your hand. It might make more sense to just jack the wheel via control arm....
5) A hydraulic stubby bottle nose jack would be better, if you can find one "stubby enough" to fit (I couldn't; and I didn't feel like hauling around 2"x6" planks to drive up on)
6) "Meh...."

Overall: 2.7 out of 5 (Stars)

Pictures below for reference:

J1point5.jpg

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

Hello all,

Several TMC members asked me to post some pictures and a review of the subject scissor jack; so here it goes -

2) Nice rubber pad, albeit a bit small, for interfacing with your Jack Pad of choice
3) Fits under the car, with Jack Pad installed, and appears it will also work when the tire is flat.
4) Not as much leverage on the ratchet handle as I would like. Takes a lot of effort once you get half way up (due to weight of the M3 and shortness of ratchet handle); kinda hurts your hand. It might make more sense to just jack the wheel via control arm....
5) A hydraulic stubby bottle nose jack would be better, if you can find one "stubby enough" to fit (I couldn't; and I didn't feel like hauling around 2"x6" planks to drive up on)
6) "Meh...."

Pictures below for reference:

View attachment 445225

View attachment 445226

View attachment 445227

Update: Since I have a breaker bar (24") and a lug socket set, the breaker bar and 17mm socket can double as the jack's "crank," replacing the less than desirable ratchet that came with the jack. So, #4 was resolved raising the jack's score to 2.9 stars out of 5 possible.

Update: Since I have a breaker bar (24") and a lug socket set, the breaker bar and 17mm socket can double as the jack's "crank," replacing the less than desirable ratchet that came with the jack. So, #4 was resolved raising the jack's score to 2.9 stars out of 5 possible.

Just curious as I’ve been looking for a rubber flat top 4K lb scissor jack to replace my 1.5ton big red that’s been sitting in my trunk. I have the big red, scissor jack adaptor and breaker bar/socket. Tire wasn’t flat but I tested the setup out to see if and how difficult it was to lift the car....and it wasn’t bad at all.

It’s a scissor jack for emergency use. What about the TruLift could be better to make it 5 or even 4 stars? I just want something that could lift the car safely in an emergency.....To remove the wheel and plug a hole on the side of the road if I couldn’t get to it with the wheel still on the car.

Just curious as I’ve been looking for a rubber flat top 4K lb scissor jack to replace my 1.5ton big red that’s been sitting in my trunk. I have the big red, scissor jack adaptor and breaker bar/socket. Tire wasn’t flat but I tested the setup out to see if and how difficult it was to lift the car....and it wasn’t bad at all.

It’s a scissor jack for emergency use. What about the TruLift could be better to make it 5 or even 4 stars? I just want something that could lift the car safely in an emergency.....To remove the wheel and plug a hole on the side of the road if I couldn’t get to it with the wheel still on the car.

Things that would make it a 4 - 5 star jack include:

1) A larger pad with more surface area
2) A better included ratchet, or none at all. Including POS handle dampens the experience
3) Lighter weight. The thing is quite heavy.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Thanks for the update !!

I've been considering removing the nub of the Porsche jack and mounting a jack pad on it. Didn't get very far on this though ....

I rounded mine and it works, but there needs to be a "designed just for the M3" turnkey scissor jack produced. I'm looking for someone to do it and think I may have found someone to do it for us. A company I have no experience with, but one that "seemed" interested. We'll see.... Of course, price and quality will be key. Should anything develop, I will be sure to post it here.

I rounded mine also, but was still considering removing it completely. Mainly because it's easier for me to insert the jack pad adapter and place the jack underneath it without much effort...

I toyed with that as well, then decided to go after a "designed for" solution, as I did with the Tsolutions mud flaps group buy. Nothing reasonably priced available at the time, and we all needed something other than being gouged a $150 set of $30 flat plastic flaps.... I hope to have something to report on this (jack) front by the end of next week, early the following week - "Really"...

Hello all,

6) "Meh...."
Thanks for the review but I have some questions as your review seems very vague. You also posted more photos of your jack pad than the actual product you are reviewing (one also being out of focus) and the photo you have up of the actual product is half of it. I would've liked to see more photos and measurements of the concerns that you brought up such as the built-in pad and the ratchet etc. These were the main features that differentiated this scissor jack from the rest.

1) What was the weight difference between this and the Porsche scissor jack?
2) Modern Spare claims that the built-in pad negates the requirement of a jack pad, what was your experience without the pad?
3) You claimed you struggled to lift one corner on the Model 3 (The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?), but your review here says it "it appears to work". Can you please elaborate...?
4) Modern Spare claims on their website that it's up to 56% less effort than a conventional scissor jack. Would you say this claim is the opposite? What was your experience using it with air/power tools?

Thanks for the review but I have some questions as your review seems very vague. You also posted more photos of your jack pad than the actual product you are reviewing (one also being out of focus) and the photo you have up of the actual product is half of it. I would've liked to see more photos and measurements of the concerns that you brought up such as the built-in pad and the ratchet etc. These were the main features that differentiated this scissor jack from the rest.

1) What was the weight difference between this and the Porsche scissor jack?
2) Modern Spare claims that the built-in pad negates the requirement of a jack pad, what was your experience without the pad?
3) You claimed you struggled to lift one corner on the Model 3 (The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?), but your review here says it "it appears to work". Can you please elaborate...?
4) Modern Spare claims on their website that it's up to 56% less effort than a conventional scissor jack. Would you say this claim is the opposite? What was your experience using it with air/power tools?

Hello,

Comments in red below.

1) What was the weight difference between this and the Porsche scissor jack? I think another reviewer reported the Porsche jack weight at something like 14 oz, vs pounds for this one. Very heavy to me, by feel (I was surprised, quite frankly)- I wouldn't want to tote it around in my truck; except when going on long trip, and if I didn't have a lighter alternative..
2) Modern Spare claims that the built-in pad negates the requirement of a jack pad, what was your experience without the pad? Perhaps... The jack pad insures "the lift" is in exactly the correct location, due to "nipple location"
3) You claimed you struggled to lift one corner on the Model 3 (The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?), but your review here says it "it appears to work". Can you please elaborate...? Yes, it lifted the car just fine and is heavy duty (contributing to its weight); it's just that my hand really hurt after using the provided ratchet (not long enough in my opinion).
4) Modern Spare claims on their website that it's up to 56% less effort than a conventional scissor jack. Would you say this claim is the opposite? What was your experience using it with air/power tools? If this is true, they must have used a scissor jack none other like I have used in the past.... Can't really comment, specifically, as I don't know what jack they used as a comparison or what condition that jack was in when they "ran the biased test," if the even conducted a test - could have been a 10 years rusting in salt water jack, who knows. Too many unknowns to comment on this "assertion".

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Hello,

Comments in red below.

1) What was the weight difference between this and the Porsche scissor jack? I think another reviewer reported the Porsche jack weight at something like 14 oz, vs pounds for this one. Very heavy to me, by feel (I was surprised, quite frankly)- I wouldn't want to tote it around in my truck; except when going on long trip, and if I didn't have a lighter alternative..
2) Modern Spare claims that the built-in pad negates the requirement of a jack pad, what was your experience without the pad? Perhaps... The jack pad insures "the lift" is in exactly the correct location, due to "nipple location"
3) You claimed you struggled to lift one corner on the Model 3 (The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?), but your review here says it "it appears to work". Can you please elaborate...? Yes, it lifted the car just fine and is heavy duty (contributing to its weight); it's just that my hand really hurt after using the provided ratchet (not long enough in my opinion).
4) Modern Spare claims on their website that it's up to 56% less effort than a conventional scissor jack. Would you say this claim is the opposite? What was your experience using it with air/power tools? If this is true, they must have used a scissor jack none other like I have used in the past.... Can't really comment, specifically, as I don't know what jack they used as a comparison or what condition that jack was in when they "ran the biased test," if the even conducted a test - could have been a 10 years rusting in salt water jack, who knows. Too many unknowns to comment on this "assertion".
Thank you for your response, I actually ordered this jack last week and hopefully I can add the missing info to your original post. There's no question that the Porsche jack is better as it's easier to use and it's made of aluminum, the price point reflects this (avg $100+). The only downside is that you have to file down the nub on the jack which isn't too hard. This is the breaker bar / lug wrench I intend to use, probably won't use the included ratchet based on your feedback: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-642284-Billy-Universal-Wrench/dp/B00JFH6D1E I like how it's versatile and includes the most popular sockets used for removing lug nuts (they're stored in the handles when not in use).

I just couldn't justify the price living in Canada, it'd be almost $200 CAD after shipping and currency conversion. The TruLift was only $65 CAD for me. If it's a bit harder to use, I can live with that.

Last edited: