Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk closes but wont latch that extra latch so car says trunk open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got an appointment tomorrow for this same issue. The rear hatch closed but did not latch. Trying to push it down to latch did not work. The trunk would not open and it would beep 3 times.

The good thing is that it failed before I went to the airport so I allocated extra time to load and unload the luggage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613-103154.png
    Screenshot_20230613-103154.png
    719.3 KB · Views: 97
I've got an appointment tomorrow for this same issue. The rear hatch closed but did not latch. Trying to push it down to latch did not work. The trunk would not open and it would beep 3 times.

The good thing is that it failed before I went to the airport so I allocated extra time to load and unload the luggage.
Update: They only needed to repair the cinch actuator so total cost was $335.73. They needed more time to remove the hatch trim to avoid damaging it & I'm picking it up same day.

Reactions: drunkenbuda
Same Trunk Latch not working situation happened February 2023 at 18k miles on 2021 Model S Refresh. Adding comments for DIY's. My wife was about 1 hour away from home, I took an Uber, hanger, and some other tools to try and temporarily fix it. Texted Service to try and troubleshoot, did all of the steps, would not latch and could not push down to latch. They offered a tow trunk under warranty to bring it to the shop. While waiting, I climbed into the car and was able to fish hanger wire to hold closed. When I contacted service, they called me and said if I cancel the tow and drive the car myself to Service Center, they would not cover under warranty. So.....about 5 hours lost time.

Same Trunk Latch not working situation happened February 2023 at 18k miles on 2021 Model S Refresh. Adding comments for DIY's. My wife was about 1 hour away from home, I took an Uber, hanger, and some other tools to try and temporarily fix it. Texted Service to try and troubleshoot, did all of the steps, would not latch and could not push down to latch. They offered a tow trunk under warranty to bring it to the shop. While waiting, I climbed into the car and was able to fish hanger wire to hold closed. When I contacted service, they called me and said if I cancel the tow and drive the car myself to Service Center, they would not cover under warranty. So.....about 5 hours lost time.
WoW :oops: I duct taped mine and drove it for a couple of days until my service appointment. Tesla never offered to tow my car to the service center. 🤔

2015 model S may neednits second cinch motor, first one replaced Oct 2020. At that time the ranger replaced the latch mechanism as well, 299cdn all together. Does the latch mech really need replacing at same time? Could some regular lubricating of the latch mechanism prevented the second failure? I see the cinch motor part has undergone some revisions. Simple to do yourself, but all the trim removal is the challenging job.
Thanks for your thoughts people.

2015 model S may neednits second cinch motor, first one replaced Oct 2020. At that time the ranger replaced the latch mechanism as well, 299cdn all together. Does the latch mech really need replacing at same time? Could some regular lubricating of the latch mechanism prevented the second failure? I see the cinch motor part has undergone some revisions. Simple to do yourself, but all the trim removal is the challenging job.
Thanks for your thoughts people.

My X's liftgate sensor failed, so it was stuck thinking the trunk was permanently open, the latch (which contains the sensor) and the cinch motor were still opening and closing properly.

If it's not under warranty replace only the part that failed. Both of these components don't wear out the same (like hours on a set of headlights or miles on a set of tires) and this isn't a safety critical component.

I requested service for it, and they gave me an estimate to replace both, I commented to them that it was only the latch's sensor that failed, they responded saying "usually when one fails the other fails soon after". To this I responded "Unless there's a reason why the new latch can't work with the old cinch motor, I'd prefer to only replace the latch", their response was "No problem".

The estimate went from almost $300 to $125 CDN.

If they told me there was a revision that made the new part incompatible with the old, fine... But otherwise I'd prefer not to waste money and make garbage throwing away stuff that still works.

FYI anyone looking to understand how to fix it should check out Tesla's online service guides - they're free... this is the article for the 2015-2021 Model X latch replacement Model X Service Manual | Tesla

My X's liftgate sensor failed, so it was stuck thinking the trunk was permanently open, the latch (which contains the sensor) and the cinch motor were still opening and closing properly.

If it's not under warranty replace only the part that failed. Both of these components don't wear out the same (like hours on a set of headlights or miles on a set of tires) and this isn't a safety critical component.

I requested service for it, and they gave me an estimate to replace both, I commented to them that it was only the latch's sensor that failed, they responded saying "usually when one fails the other fails soon after". To this I responded "Unless there's a reason why the new latch can't work with the old cinch motor, I'd prefer to only replace the latch", their response was "No problem".

The estimate went from almost $300 to $125 CDN.

If they told me there was a revision that made the new part incompatible with the old, fine... But otherwise I'd prefer not to waste money and make garbage throwing away stuff that still works.

FYI anyone looking to understand how to fix it should check out Tesla's online service guides - they're free... this is the article for the 2015-2021 Model X latch replacement Model X Service Manual | Tesla

The flipside to that (for anyone else reading this after the fact) is: how much of the $125 was the price of the part, and how much of it was time spent getting to the point where the part could be changed, and getting back out again. Granted, for the tailgate, it's probably quite quick work - but a good thing to keep in mind for other repairs.

The flipside to that (for anyone else reading this after the fact) is: how much of the $125 was the price of the part, and how much of it was time spent getting to the point where the part could be changed, and getting back out again. Granted, for the tailgate, it's probably quite quick work - but a good thing to keep in mind for other repairs.
The part was $85, the labour was $40. I'll pay them another $40 to come back to my house and replace the cinch motor if that fails, but it's been absolutely fine for almost a month now.