Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not fully opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MY 2 days ago and have a question about opening the trunk. I have a drive way which slopes slightly. When I park with the front of the car sloping downward the trunk will not fully open. I open the trunk and it opens about a foot then stops like it too heavy and then closes. If I give it a boost it will open. Are the hinges so weak that the car needs to be almost level to open the trunk automatically or do I need to report this as a problem?

Just got my MY 2 days ago and have a question about opening the trunk. I have a drive way which slopes slightly. When I park with the front of the car sloping downward the trunk will not fully open. I open the trunk and it opens about a foot then stops like it too heavy and then closes. If I give it a boost it will open. Are the hinges so weak that the car needs to be almost level to open the trunk automatically or do I need to report this as a problem?
Obviously a problem

• Disagree
Reactions: empiredown
Extend it to wherever you’d like it to open to, press the closure button on the hatch until you hear the chimes, close it, then reopen and see if that fixes the issue...

Good luck!

ß
Your advice does not seem to fit the OP's problem description. If the trunk lid opening limiter setting were causing the problem, it would open part way and then stop. It would not immediately close itself.

Had the appointment for last Friday. It got cancelled because the part had not come in. Was rescheduled for this afternoon but was cancelled again because the part had not come in. Now scheduled for 10 days out. Wonder if this is just a part supply problem or if more and more MY are having the same problem. Now my trunk will unlock but not go up automatically no matter how I am parked. I can still open and close it but have to do so manually.

Had my appointment yesterday but the problem is not fixed yet. They determined that it is a problem with the pistons. So waiting for the next appointment which is two weeks out. They thought it was a latch problem and said they had not run into this problem before. So had to order parts again.

An update. My on site repair has been cancelled and a new service appointment scheduled for the service center this Friday. Seems like I am now entering the Tesla service pit. Asked for a loaner since I am a care giver and the car is for all intents new. Also since its Friday if it runs into the next week I am going to have major problems. The answer was they dont reserve loaners for people and its a first come first serve case. They said that the $100 Uber credits are all they do to provide transportation. So....will take the car in and see what they have to say before I leave it. Didnt really believe the stories about how bad the service procedure is but have now learned. I like my Tesla but if I am having problems like this within the first 500 miles I am beginning to think I should have gone one more time with an ICE car and let Tesla firgure out how to keep customers happy. The problem with the trunk not opening is now running onto a month since I brought it to their attention.

I was disappointed to find out that the Y hatchback doesn't have a sensor to detect when it's going to hit something while opening. The Y is pretty high, so when I opened the trunk while my garage door was open, the hatchback opened and kept going until it hit the garage door. I now have a rather significant scratch along the edge of the hatchback. Seems like it would be an easy thing to add given the car can tell where every car, trash can and cone is around me.

Had to update this post. I guess I have entered the Tesla Service Hell. Had an appointment this morning at the service center and went and it turned bad. Was a couple of minutes early so tried to part. This was at 9 am and there were no parking spots left and several vehicles which had apparently just been double parked and left. I tried the doors and all were locked. No signs of how to contact anyone. Then I got a text thanking me for leaving the Y and said I could follow the service on the app. I was not about to just leave a $60,000 vehicle in a parking lot with a key with no employes around and walk away. Besides I had received a text yesterday saying that I could talk to a service tech about alternative transportation. I am a care giver with no alternate transportation so was not about to leave the car with Tesla who might be planning on keeping it for a week. Total unknow. So I left. Had tired to get into the service section of the app and it would not connect. I tried after the store was open to contact the service department by phone by calling the store and could only leave a message. No one has contacted me about missing the appointment and have tried to reschedule in the app but can not even do that. Guess I never will get the factory defect repaired unless I go to someone who can do the work and order the parts from Tesla. Anyone have any suggestions of how to contact Tesla about a factory defect and/or can you recommend a good lemon law lawyer in Las Vegas?