Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk unlocks with phone in car; vehicle locked with card.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that if my phone is left in the car and the vehicle is locked with the card, I am still able to unlock the rear trunk without the card nearby. Is this normal? I am not able to unlock any of the doors, just the rear trunk. Any workarounds? Maybe turning off Bluetooth or something?

Kinda a bummer since I don’t like carrying stuff when I’m out on a run or surfing.

I always use PIN on my X since the fobs are more susceptible to the copying hack but I recommend it to everyone as a security measure. If you are leaving ‘keys’ in the car, no reason you can’t enable it for that one time if you don’t want to use it all the time.

I would have expected the phone locked in the trunk to let you open the car doors and do everything. I suspect it was a function of the phone model BT range and I might try with my phone to see but the point is clear, put the phone in airplane mode and secure the car.

A reminder that was noted in the OP which is often overlooked: when using the card key you need to use it to lock the car also. We’re so used to walk away lock that we need to remember to lock with the card if using it.

I noticed that if my phone is left in the car and the vehicle is locked with the card, I am still able to unlock the rear trunk without the card nearby. Is this normal? I am not able to unlock any of the doors, just the rear trunk. Any workarounds? Maybe turning off Bluetooth or something?

Kinda a bummer since I don’t like carrying stuff when I’m out on a run or surfing.

Try locking by opening the drivers door, pressing the lock icon on the top of the screen, then exiting. Maybe it will work differently? This is how I always exit the car, as my phone doesn't work and I don't like using the card key on exit.

Reactions: crackers8199