Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New iPhone 15 Pro car won't always unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issues with the passive bluetooth door unlock since I upgraded to a new iPhone 15 Pro. It seems to drop out after about 30 minutes and fails to work consistently. The manual unlock with the app works fine as does the card. Only started happening since I got my new phone. I've set it up twice now. Any other tips? (thinking of deleting and re-installing the app). This is on 2023.26.9, 2022 Model 3.

Reactions: streetskooler
My iPhone 13 is the same, so I am not convinced this is a phone model thing. I have used phone as key since 2018 when I got my model 3, and over the past year or so, it went from like 99% functionality to like 50-60% functionality (without me touching the phone).

Unfortunately it’s a power conservation feature of the SoC. I’ve been messing around with the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 pro and the Google pixel fold and it works near 100% of the time when an external power source is present. It seems this can be mitigated by placing the MagSafe battery on the phone and ensuring you’re not on power saving mode.

I assume you have Background App refresh "On" and enabled for the "Tesla" App? Settings >General > Background App Refresh
Im not the OP (and wasnt trying to hijaack their thread, just say that over the past year its happened to me, so I dont think this is a iphone 15 issue), but Yes, for me, I have background app refresh on for the Tesla app (and most, but not all, other apps).

Unfortunately it’s a power conservation feature of the SoC. I’ve been messing around with the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 pro and the Google pixel fold and it works near 100% of the time when an external power source is present. It seems this can be mitigated by placing the MagSafe battery on the phone and ensuring you’re not on power saving mode.
That makes sense. For me, my iPhone is never in power saving mode though so that particular part isnt it. It feels like "battery optimization" without user facing settings, to me, just from a feel perspective.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I, too, have this problem and have had it since day one (iPhone 14 pro). It feels like a fluke when it ACTUALLY works on iPhone and its usually because I just had the phone open. If it's been locked for a few mins, 99% of the time the doors wont unlock until I open the phone first, which is a pain in the ass when your hands are full. This must be a power saving feature of the SOC as someone else had mentioned.

I installed/purchased the Watchla App on the appstore thinking it would be the ticket to getting a consistent experience but it's even more frustrating IMO since it "should" always work. The only thing that seems to work 100% of the time is using Siri to unlock the doors, but there is a bit a delay from when the command is issued to the door actually opening. I hope this eventually gets fixed, but I'm not counting on it since TESLA only controls the app and I believe the problem is actually with iOS itself.

I may pickup a Tesla key at some point but it's def nice not having to carry that stuff around.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max and have never had an issue. A suggested list of things to check:

Look at your Bluetooth settings, does it show your car’s name and does it say “connected?”

Is background app refresh “on” and is this enabled for the “Tesla” app? (Settings > general > background app refresh)

Next go to Settings > Tesla and check the “allow tesla to access” settings. Ensure location is set to “always,” Bluetooth is “on,” and background app refresh is “on.”

If you still have problems I would try deleting the key and setting it up again.

Good luck!

Don't worry it's not just your iPhone - my Samsung sporadically fails to unlock too. Sometimes it'll eventually unlock, other times I need to open the app and manually unlock. Once in it is usually good to go, but sometimes won't drive either unless I put the phone right on the centre console reader. Occasionally won't go at all and I have to get my wallet with card out. Phone restart usually helps. Sometimes need to remove the phone as a key and set up again. Annoying.

For what it's worth, my iphone 14 pro max is somewhat hit or miss in unlocking the car. I would assume it has more to do with the software than the hardware. There must be something that is restricting the background process of the Tesla app. I also carry a Pixel Fold and I have only ever had one issue with the phone not unlocking the car and that was after a power cycle and I didn't relaunch the Tesla app so shame on me. Just this morning I had my Pixel off as I forgot to put it on the charger last night and was trying to recharge as quickly as possible. I went into Wawa, used my iphone to pay for coffee, walked out and triggered Sentry when I tried to open the door.

Thanks, I thought maybe the phone is killing the Telsa app in the background, but oddly, the car still won't unlock even when I re launch the app and have it in the foreground. Happened again this morning, and it came good when I turned bluetooth off and on again on the phone. What I did notice is the Tesla bluetooth "key" was missing (not just "disconnected") in the list of bluetooth devices on my phone - or is that normal? (The only entry there was the other bluetooth device for the car audio. The key entry came back after toggling bluetooth off/on, and the car opened ok).

Okay, I have an iPhone 15 Pro and everything works with my iPhone (unlocking, etc). My issue was, no matter what I tried, my Y would not start without my keycard.

In desperation, I completely deleted the Tesla app, and started over. That solved the starting issue.

FYI: I’ve never had an unlocking issue w/iP13 Pro and no unlocking issues w/iP15 Pro. Just start up issue.

Also, my app has never shown the music controls like they do on our 3. Now they’re there. Weird…

Last edited:
Reactions: streetskooler
Same here. Upgraded from an iPhone 12 Pro to 15 pro and most times my phone will not unlock the car. Have to login to the app or use my keycard. Very frustrating. The car did receive an update tonight so hopefully that fixes it but I’m not counting on it.