Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk vs Frunk which is more secure in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say Glovebox is most secure followed by Frunk, then trunk.

Frunk has a definite advantage in that it is invisible. If they can see into your car and there is nothing valuable visible they are less likely to break in. The cargo cover might help with that as well. With the glovebox, they have to break a window, then essentially tear apart your dashboard. Seems like it is very secure.

You can get into the glove box extremely quickly (<10sec for sure) and with no damage if you can open the passenger door (watched a Tesla tech get into mine to make adjustments because it wasn't opening)

Reactions: David99
The frunk is not safe at all — anyone with a pocket sized jump battery can open it.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-34181E3A-B4A7-4658-906A-38C6647B5664.html

On the plus side… no damage? I keep nothing of value in the frunk.

Wow, did you really register just to post this?

You cannot use the emergency release leads to open the frunk unless the vehicle's 12V battery is dead.

So yes, the frunk is likely much more secure than the trunk. Anyone willing to break a window can get into the trunk... you'd have to open the frunk with a pry bar. Additionally most people don't keep things in the frunk so it's a much less likely target for the smash and grab thieves that target cars in parking lots.

Glass can be broken very easily with the right tool and it makes almost no noise. It then allows instant access to the trunk area. I'm not an expert, but as far as I understand car thieves go for the quick grab. They break the glass, grab what they can quickly and take off. On a parking lot, it looks like someone is just standing between the cars and the whole thing takes 10 seconds or less.

The front trunk takes longer to open and it is very obvious if someone is using a pry bar on the front of a car. You need tools and force. Thieves don't open random frunks when they have no clue if something valuable is there. They look into the windows and see something of value they can grab quickly. I'd say the frunk is safer from those kind of attacks. If someone knows you have valuables in your car and plans their attack, no place in the car is safe.