Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk wont stay open after its lifts up ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

my model S trunk lifts up as normal but at its highest point, it makes 3 beeps and closes down again¨

I did a software update but nothing changes. Is something broken here ? Does someone else has the same experience ?

Thank you !

Doesn’t sound like the classic gas strut problem.

Are you familiar with feature that lets you set the hatch open height by manually moving it to the height you want then holding down the hatch button until it beeps? I’d try that - should reset the target open position. Just a guess, no guarantee...

Doesn’t sound like the classic gas strut problem.

Are you familiar with feature that lets you set the hatch open height by manually moving it to the height you want then holding down the hatch button until it beeps? I’d try that - should reset the target open position. Just a guess, no guarantee...
Yes i tried that, it works .It will lift up to the correct height but it will go down again after 3 beeps....?

Gas strut.
Easy to verify;
When it opens, help it by lifting manually about 2-4kg of thrust, help it holding position when it is fully open, observe that it will stay there.
Then, stop helping... Overload will be sensed, and it will close.

Gas strut.
Easy to verify;
When it opens, help it by lifting manually about 2-4kg of thrust, help it holding position when it is fully open, observe that it will stay there.
Then, stop helping... Overload will be sensed, and it will close.
I tried. It stayed in position. But as soon i restart the operation, same situation, 3 beeps and automatically closes. I start thinking the Gas struts are broken ....

What was the resolution on this? I've been working for or more years with Tesla on this, they've replaced the struts, latch, everything and it still does it. Works fin on flat gorund, but the gentle slop eof my driveway (2-3% maybe) causes it to fail.

Thanks.