Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to play mp3's without the 400 bugs and hurdles Tesla throws at you...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With this device, you don't have to! You can FLAC it up with 1TB worth of storage. (I do 320 MB mp3's, and that works for me, but the few FLAC files I played sound great.)

It's not the storage capacity, but bluetooth itself. Bluetooth audio is compressed and doesn't have enough bandwidth for lossless audio. Quality loss is unavoidable, but this doesn't occur with USB...

ianc

It's not the storage capacity, but bluetooth itself. Bluetooth audio is compressed and doesn't have enough bandwidth for lossless audio. Quality loss is unavoidable, but this doesn't occur with USB...

ianc
Yes, but I want to clarify that this FIIO mp3 player will transmit audio via Bluetooth using aptX-HD, which basically gets you CD-quality audio. If there's a bottleneck, it might be that Tesla itself may still not support aptX-HD, but if / when Musk decides to tweak that, you could play your FLAC files and truly get the lossless resolution you're looking for- or something so close to lossless, I highly doubt that in a car, while driving with road noise, anyone could actually discern the difference. As picky as I am, I'm happy with 320 mbps mp3's, which is basically what "normal Bluetooth" transmits at. But for "true" hi resolution audio, aptX-HD moves Bluetooth into the big leagues.

Anyway, compared with the clunky, crappy USB interface system in that car, even the old Bluetooth standard is fine for me. But you're welcome to read the specs on this mp3 device and see for yourself:

There aren't any flavors of aptX in the current bluetooth implementation. All you get is pretty basic SBC. Just enough to get by. I doubt that tesla will ever agree to the licensing that qualcom wants to use aptX. I would love to be proven wrong about this though!