Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to time my delivery - Sept/ Oct 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, after following the forum for a few weeks since deciding on purchasing a MY-LR I'm trying to determine when to place the order in order to not have to possibly jump in and out of queue. The reason I want a Sept/ Oct delivery is that's when I expect to have to start commuting back to my office. I sold my previous car to carvana at a hefty profit so I just hope I don't order too late and end up ubering for weeks or months to work.

Along with the timing, I understand certain configurations are harder to get - my friend just took delivery of his MY-LR last friday in Chicago and he said that he waited almost 90 full days for his since his SA told him black/black configurations with the 20" wheels are among the last built and built in the lowest quantities.

As of today, the estimated delivery for my configuation is 9-13 weeks (MYLR midnight silver, 20" wheels and 5 seats w/out autopilot) is 9-13 weeks if I place the order now which on the long end of the estimate puts it at Sept 1st (exactly 13 weeks from now). A 9/1 delivery would be fine, I could get used to it for a few weeks and get my tesla charger installed in the time before I start commuting but I'm worried if I place the order now I'll get a delivery sooner in July or August (possible?) and then I'd ask to be put back in queue - which could risk me waiting into October/ November and then possibly having to re-run my financing credit score.

Has anyone tried to time their delivery like this and any advice for me?

Hi
I ordered MY on May 13th and still waiting for delivery in Chicago location. The minimum estimated wait time is one and half months.
since the Q2 sales ended up quickly. If you order in the coming days, the delivery date might show end of August or mid September.

As a general rule of thumb, the vast majority of US deliveries happen in the 3rd month of each quarter. The first month is mainly exports. There are exceptions, and once other Giga come online that will change. So September is likely something you can plan for as it's 3rd month of Q3.

Thanks, I ended up placing my order over the weekend. Current EDD says 7/6-8/6 but I can’t imagine it arriving that soon. I’m expecting it to be in hand in September - I would actually be disappointed if it was sooner but I probably wouldn’t jump back in queue.

New guy here ...

Ordered MY LR, 5 seats, 19" wheels, red on black on May 30, 2021.
Current delivery window is August 3 - 23, 9 - 12 weeks with a holiday.
First EDD was a week earlier and shifted within a few days of placing the order.
Reading the tea leaves and the "chip shortage" media coverage, I'm setting my expectations for September or October.
Will be happy and ready if MY arrives before September.

PS: looking around for a way to "react" to posts to acknowledge reactions to something I asked. Must have missed something. Any quick pointers appreciated.

Reactions: ajs847
New guy here ...

Ordered MY LR, 5 seats, 19" wheels, red on black on May 30, 2021.
Current delivery window is August 3 - 23, 9 - 12 weeks with a holiday.
First EDD was a week earlier and shifted within a few days of placing the order.
Reading the tea leaves and the "chip shortage" media coverage, I'm setting my expectations for September or October.
Will be happy and ready if MY arrives before September.

PS: looking around for a way to "react" to posts to acknowledge reactions to something I asked. Must have missed something. Any quick pointers appreciated.

Not sure about reacting to posts on mobile but on a desktop/ laptop the reaction button is at the bottom of each post I believe after you've left a number of comments that option appears.

As a general rule of thumb, the vast majority of US deliveries happen in the 3rd month of each quarter. The first month is mainly exports. There are exceptions, and once other Giga come online that will change. So September is likely something you can plan for as it's 3rd month of Q3.
This. Roughly 85% of US deliveries occur on the last month of the quarter. So if you want September delivery, order anytime after July 1st. You can certainly order now but there's a small chance of having a car delivered by June 30th. If that were to happen simply tell your SA to put your order on hold. That car then goes to the next customer. Then wait until after July 1st and click "I'm ready" on your Tesla account page and you're back in the queue. Then you're likely to get a September delivery. Of course this can change given the current supply chain problem all automakers face.

Just had the same issue. Once you post 6-7 times it turns on
Thanks Fraslin and ajs847. Guess the ability to "react" is a function of my profile becoming a bit more mature. All things in time.

And speaking of time, just saw that my ED has been pushed to September; third date window since ordering May 30. Somewhat expected with global delays of all sorts and notes above from N2B8. Fingers crossed it doesn't slid significantly more.

Thanks Fraslin and ajs847. Guess the ability to "react" is a function of my profile becoming a bit more mature. All things in time.

And speaking of time, just saw that my ED has been pushed to September; third date window since ordering May 30. Somewhat expected with global delays of all sorts and notes above from N2B8. Fingers crossed it doesn't slid significantly more.
Same, when I woke up and checked it was showing 8/2-8/22 and just a moment ago I checked and it's now showing September. To me, I just like to see a change knowing that my order hasn't fallen through the system and it's moving along. As long as it doesn't start showing October or November delivery time!

Ha, seeing quite a few ED changes. Talked to my advisor on another topic and he told me his internal info sources have my vehicle coming off the production line late July and maybe delivery the first week of August. Didn't ask and was happy to hear especially since my last look said ED September. Just looked at my Tesla Account this morning and the ED says 8/2 - 22.

Looking at ajs847 ED tracker notes, it appears that Tesla updates ED windows routinely. Agree that seeing updates provides some confidence that my order is getting some attention and not falling through the cracks.

After yesterday I was going to take a break from this message board for a few weeks to hopefully let some things happen with the build of my Model Y but I wanted to just update and say that my ED is back to 8/2-8/22 so it seems like yesterday was a glitch/ maintenance issue or internal tesla thing (hopefully) indicating a shift back to domestic production at Fremont. Just glad to see movement. But I am probably going to take a break from the madness of the message boards so that hopefully I can jump back on late july/ early august with good news regarding VIN or delivery.

Reactions: BobG1
After yesterday I was going to take a break from this message board for a few weeks to hopefully let some things happen with the build of my Model Y but I wanted to just update and say that my ED is back to 8/2-8/22 so it seems like yesterday was a glitch/ maintenance issue or internal tesla thing (hopefully) indicating a shift back to domestic production at Fremont. Just glad to see movement. But I am probably going to take a break from the madness of the message boards so that hopefully I can jump back on late july/ early august with good news regarding VIN or delivery.
Haha - same here!
MYLR (Silver, 5 seats, B&W, 19", no FSD)
ordered June 5,
original delivery date was Aug 9-30,
moved up to Aug 2-22 (yess!)
dropped to September (booo)
and now this morning, back to July 27-Aug 16 (yess!)

need to take a break from constantly hitting refresh :)

Reactions: BobG1
Haha - same here!
MYLR (Silver, 5 seats, B&W, 19", no FSD)
ordered June 5,
original delivery date was Aug 9-30,
moved up to Aug 2-22 (yess!)
dropped to September (booo)
and now this morning, back to July 27-Aug 16 (yess!)

need to take a break from constantly hitting refresh :)
All - BIG surprise from Tesla. Got a text from my SA with the VIN at 1PM. Got an email from Tesla 30 minutes later saying my car is ready for pickup.
Getting it Friday. Total 13 days from order to delivery

Mine has shifted around several times and is now expected in September. With that being said, for any September deliveries, would we possibly expect the 2022 model? I do believe Tesla refreshes the year model in September
that would be cutting it close because it may depend on the manufacture date to determine if you have the 2021 or 2022 refresh, but I think Tesla pushes updates any time of the year so even a 2022 built in 2021 may not be the same as a 2022 built in 2022. My company is rumored to push our return to office dates back again (worries about the Delta variant) so I may be in the position of putting a hold on my order if my wife feels ok going through a chicago winter with just her (FWD) car.

why can't you just accept the car early?
1) going through a home refi so if I get the "blue button" tomorrow I'd have to decline because I don't want to mess with the credit score my refi currently is working off... hopefully the home refi is resolved by end of month

2) I'm working from home and when I placed my order my company expected to reopen offices for "corporate" workers in september so I wanted to time my delivery for then...

3) but now as of today my company is expected to delay the office reopen because of this Delta Covid Variant so if my wife is comfortable going through a chicago winter with just her honda accord we may put a hold on the order until when we know we'll need a second car.

Ever since selling my BMW it's been nice to save the money we'd be paying toward a fancy car that just sits in the garage while we both work from home. Her car is paid off and is the easiest to maintain (low miles, simple engine, I do that stuff myself)

At the same time, I see inventory cars in my area that aren't the exact spec I want but could make do with, but because of the refi my hands are bound to wait and hope that when the refi is done I can snag another and just over this wait.

In other words, the angel on my shoulder tells me to be patient and wait until I "need a car" and the devil on my shoulder is shouting "buy! buy! buy!'

Last edited: