Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The auto makers will, no elves (or tents) involved.

Take for example Daimler. They will have 8 battery factories globally:

Daimler to build battery factories in Sindelfingen, Untertuerkheim

Some already completed in Germany, more coming for a total of eight. And that‘s just Daimler (relatively small in terms of unit output among car makers).

As for cell supply: Just two news items from recent weeks...

CATL just announced building another 14 GWh cell factory in Germany for local clients:

China's CATL to build its first European EV battery factory in Germany

LG Chem is adding a 32 GWh factory (that‘s battery factory number five for them globally) in China:

LG Chem to Build Its Second Electric Car Battery Plant in China

And yet Elon Musk keeps claiming that he (via Panasonic) makes more EV batteries than all others combined?

Is “LG Chem to build...” the same as what Tesla is currently producing? I think not.

Same reason he designs the cars, manages the Sales department, supervises production from the factory floor, and personally delivers Model 3 to customers.
Someone really needs to tell Elon how delegating works because no human can run an entire car company singlehandedly.

Until evidence proves otherwise, I'm going to assume Elon is a human and not an alien. He's probably not Kane and we probably won't observe the appearance of Tiberium on the Earth's surface anytime soon. Probably.

Someone really needs to tell Elon how delegating works because no human can run an entire car company singlehandedly.

Until evidence proves otherwise, I'm going to assume Elon is a human and not an alien. He's probably not Kane and we probably won't observe the appearance of Tiberium on the Earth's surface anytime soon. Probably.

Oh great. Now every time I see a car carrier unloading Teslas, I'm automatically going to think "Reinforcements have arrived." And for Tesla crashes... "Unit lost." And in the factory: "Unit ready." And the tent: "New construction options"

And during the Q2 report: "Insufficient funds"? "On hold"? "Cancelled"? ;)

Seriously, though, I think it's good that Elon tries to involve himself to a small extent in every aspect of the business. So he can see for himself how everything flows together, to get the big picture.

Tesla is only out of this market because there is better opportunity for their limited resources.

If they ever get alien dreadnaught working it would make sense to build a low cost vehicle as they would have the lowest marginal production costs and a potential revenue stream from the tesla network.
It's silly to think one manufacturer is going to make a billion cars. Tesla's focus on high margin has a two fold impact. It Rob's market share from competors and forces when to react and gives them Capital to expand. But make no mistake, Tesla wants competition to mass produce EVs. Tesla just wants to own the biggest profit margin models while accelerating the transition to EVs and solar.

I don’t think outsiders should tell Elon anything (we have no idea how he really runs Tesla) and insiders better think twice. Anyone who is a self made billionaire making cars and rockets, might, just might know what he’s doing. Just because he doesn’t do things the approved MBA way, doesn’t mean his way is worse.

Gene Munster pre-ER note:

Tesla Preview: Bumps Remain, but Trend Is Positive | Loup Ventures
  • Tesla will report second quarter earnings on Wednesday, August 1st.
  • We are expecting results to be a mixed bag, but remain optimistic regarding the Tesla story.
  • June profitability and tariffs could weigh on shares.
  • Most importantly, Model 3 demand remains healthy, production is improving, profitability is increasing, and Elon Musk’s behavior is more measured.
Munster expects non gaap loss of $3.09 (consensus is $2.81). Some other snippets:

"Given Jun-18 will likely be another earnings miss, it will cause investors to question the company’s profitability guidance for Sep-18 and Dec-18. We share the concern around Sep-18 profitability and are modeling for a loss of $3.15 (or $546M). Our expected GAAP loss in Sep-18 reflects a lower gross margin on Model 3 and a more aggressive view on the impact of tariffs."

"Tesla’s goal is to exit August at a run rate of 6,000 Model 3s per week. We’re expecting the company to hit that mark at the end of September. If the company hits 6,000 at the end of September, that would imply an average of 4,300 vehicles per week, up from an average of 2,400 in Jun-18 and 633 in Mar-18. We believe this 80% q/q production increase will increase profit yields, putting them on track for a near 20% Model 3 gross margin in Dec-18."

"As a reminder, on the Mar-18 earnings call, Tesla reduced its Model 3 gross margin target exiting CY18 from 25% to 20%. We expect the company will reiterate that target on Wednesday’s call, but, once again, we are taking a conservative approach and expect Model 3 gross margin at 17% in Dec-18."

"Tariffs will be an important topic on the call, given last week, all of the Big 3 automakers lowered profit guidance, citing rising commodity costs from the tariffs. The stocks were down on average 10% on the news. Even though Tesla recently reiterated that their guidance reflects these tariffs, we think it’s unlikely they have been fully baked in."

It's silly to think one manufacturer is going to make a billion cars. Tesla's focus on high margin has a two fold impact. It Rob's market share from competors and forces when to react and gives them Capital to expand. But make no mistake, Tesla wants competition to mass produce EVs. Tesla just wants to own the biggest profit margin models while accelerating the transition to EVs and solar.
Tesla is trying to be the Apple of sustainable energy. To this day, Apple sells around 10-15% of the world's smartphones worldwide yet rakes in 90% of the profits. That's a good position to be in, if you can manage it.

Only if it were true, and it still might not matter. Elon=Tesla at this point.
I think they could stage having Elon do his talk and then let Depak handle q&a and then let Elon talk questions from Gali. People want to hear him talk about the cool stuff and they want the analysts to get the respect that their employers think they deserve and that their media colleagues think they deserve. Sometimes a fight avoided is a fight best won.

I think they could stage having Elon do his talk and then let Depak handle q&a and then let Elon talk questions from Gali. People want to hear him talk about the cool stuff and they want the analysts to get the respect that their employers think they deserve and that their media colleagues think they deserve. Sometimes a fight avoided is a fight best won.
Exactly. Elon should speak about strategic and technological stuff, Deepak on the financial stuff. Win-win. Everybody goes home happy.

Exactly. Elon should speak about strategic and technological stuff, Deepak on the financial stuff. Win-win. Everybody goes home happy.
I don’t agree.
I’m willing to forfeit three years of stock value appreciation just to let Elon be Elon.
Please let the guy do whatever he deems most effective. Even when it isn’t, it’ll keep him in a position to work the miracles that he does. For himself and for all of us.

That would be a reasonable approach but I prefer not giving in to the powers that be. Expose the buffoons for what they are instead of placating them. I expect Elon won't be as aggressive as last time but if he bloodies a few noses again I'm fine with any temporary hit the stock might take.

Munster expects non gaap loss of $3.09 (consensus is $2.81). Some other snippets:

"Given Jun-18 will likely be another earnings miss, it will cause investors to question the company’s profitability guidance for Sep-18 and Dec-18. We share the concern around Sep-18 profitability and are modeling for a loss of $3.15 (or $546M). Our expected GAAP loss in Sep-18 reflects a lower gross margin on Model 3 and a more aggressive view on the impact of tariffs."

"Tesla’s goal is to exit August at a run rate of 6,000 Model 3s per week. We’re expecting the company to hit that mark at the end of September. If the company hits 6,000 at the end of September, that would imply an average of 4,300 vehicles per week, up from an average of 2,400 in Jun-18 and 633 in Mar-18. We believe this 80% q/q production increase will increase profit yields, putting them on track for a near 20% Model 3 gross margin in Dec-18."

"As a reminder, on the Mar-18 earnings call, Tesla reduced its Model 3 gross margin target exiting CY18 from 25% to 20%. We expect the company will reiterate that target on Wednesday’s call, but, once again, we are taking a conservative approach and expect Model 3 gross margin at 17% in Dec-18."

"Tariffs will be an important topic on the call, given last week, all of the Big 3 automakers lowered profit guidance, citing rising commodity costs from the tariffs. The stocks were down on average 10% on the news. Even though Tesla recently reiterated that their guidance reflects these tariffs, we think it’s unlikely they have been fully baked in."

Modeling a loss of $3.15 in Q3??? What am I missing?

Reactions: adaptabl
Modeling a loss of $3.15 in Q3??? What am I missing?
Yeah, this is pretty pessimistic for Q3. They are expecting tariffs to hit hard along with continued production inefficiencies. If this is even remotely close to what we hear from Tesla, there will be quite the buying opportunity after the ER, especially if Elon retracts the guidance for profits in Q3. I think we could see sub $260s perhaps? Let's see how it plays out. It sure makes it seem exceedingly unlikely there is any sort of pleasant surprise coming for Q3 guidance.

Reactions: BrianZ and neroden
A yearly salary of $ 350K for newly hired Chief Accounting Officer Dave Morton. OK, yes.
But, a sign-on bonus of $ 10M (stock, options, vested over four year, yada yada). F-a-Duck, that’s no small potatoes.
Unless you are buying a home in the bay area... Then you will only be able to eat small potatoes after getting the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.