Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully, next week the market can focus on the fundamentals of car production and sales, rather than the overhyped sideshow of what “funding secured” means.

But even the Q3 numbers are a sideshow. The real news this quarter has been about the product: it’s a winner in every dimension, including safety. At the same time the competition is announcing products that don’t match up.

It is impossible to predict when the market will wake up to that reality. But it will. It could be this week, it could be next year. So I remain long, with in the money LEAPs to provide a modest amount of leverage.

Not investment advice. Just don’t let the daily drama let you lose the forest for the trees. At the forest level, Tesla is flying ahead.

With that interview and when you see who Elon has retained

Musk has hired Stephen Best at Brown Rudnick, who successfully defended internet billionaire Mark Cuban in an insider trading case, according to people familiar with the plans who also asked not to be identified. He also hired former Assistant U.S. Attorney Chris Clark of Latham & Watkins to defend him in the case, the people said.

I will give it 95/5 to Elon

First off, I haven't posted here in awhile (or anywhere really). Elon Musk deciding not to take Tesla private was by far the worst decision he has made and I was 100% convinced he would do it.

Sad.

Now that I've eaten my crow...

I need to point out something that I'm not seeing enough discussion about regarding the recent events. While everyone is focusing on "funding secured" and "420", I'm focusing on Elon saying that he didn't envision a situation where his percentage stake in Tesla would change substantially if Tesla went private. I am also focusing on his ability to determine a $420 price. Also, I'm focusing on an elephant called SpaceX. You'll see why.

Elon Musk is not just a CEO who randomly decided he was taking his company private...it's just not that simple. He is a ~25% owner and a CEO who also happens to own ~60% of a company called SpaceX, which happens to be valued at $30+ billion dollars, who decided he wanted to take his company private. This changes the dynamic in a way that the SEC will eventually have to come to terms with. They chose to omit this from their filing because it really hurts their case.

As someone who commands a $20 billion dollar position in another company, which can be borrowed against, the SEC is choosing to ignore that Elon Musk himself has the ability to make an offer to buy Tesla shares in mass at a specific price, because he has a way to fund it, especially if the majority of large shareholders hold. His $420 offer can come out of a unicorn's ass, it doesn't really matter where it comes from, if he has the ability to buy a shitload of TSLA shares at that price, if the deal goes as he wants with other holding, during this period of "considering" he spoke of. Him saying that he didn't envision a situation where his TSLA holdings would change too much proves that he thought there was a small chance it may become necessary to do just that. If he wasn't considering that as an option, he would have said, "my position will not change at all".

If a CEO worth $1 million says he is going to take his company worth $20 billion private, and he hasn't talked to anyone, it's a problem.

If the CEO worth $30 billion says he is going to take his company private at a $72 billion valuation, and he's talked with a few funds and sees most large shareholders staying around, and he thinks small shareholders can do a SpaceX-style-ownership situation (and be mistaken on that) and he subsequently says funding secured...I'm sorry, but he is allowed to do that. It's not criminal for a CEO and major owner, who thought his one private company's ownership plan could be applicable to his other company if he takes it private, to make an accident and be wrong. Unfortunate, yes. Reckless and misleading investors on purpose? Laughable.

Contrary to popular ignorance, Elon Musk is not an idiot. He isn't going to admit he did anything wrong when he literally possesses the ability to do everything he said and clearly had been in talks with MANY people regarding this idea prior to his tweet. The SEC does a great job showing how much time was spent on this prior to his tweets. I appreciate them painting the picture. If Elon spent any amount of time speaking to others about this, then you know it was on his mind in a big way.

Ignore the context and everything looks terrible. Remembering that the guy with $20 billion dollars in another company can leverage that money and buy a significant portion of the company he wants to take private if necessary...well...that sort of changes everything.

Elon Musk has NO BUSINESS AT ALL accepting ANY penalty for his actions by the SEC. To do so would be completely irresponsible and would hang a "damager" and "damaged" sign around him and the company. I fear a settlement being reached at some point in the future because, unfortunately, that how the system works, and I will be very unhappy that day if it happens because of what I just described. But, knowing Elon, he'll be the one to pay the extra money and go the extra mile to fight it to the very end, as he should.

I'll take "SEC Ignoring Context" for $500 Alex.

P.S.

...Page 4 of the filing...

• "In 2018, stock analysts and investors increasingly began to question whether Tesla could meet its previously announced production targets and begin to earn sufficient cash in order to sustain its operations and pay its existing debt load."
Excuse me...the only "investors" questioning the ability of Tesla to survive is short sellers. Get the **** outa here putting that *sugar* in an SEC filing and acting like longs holding the stock believe that trash.

SEC filling their documents with copy-pasta nonsense from Jim Chanos and David Einhorn's emails to the SEC...oh lordy...

DISCLOSURE: LONG TSLA. DON'T BUY IT. THE SKY IS FALLING. ELON KILLED JESUS.
Bravo! This sounds very reasonable. Elon’s billions + saudis billions = funding (verbally) secured. Elon can win this in court 8 years from today.
Next week it will be all about delivery numbers. Margin will increase due to favorable AWD and P3D mix. And about how autopilot V9 will make people super excited. And about full self driving testing rolled out to tesla employees. Cutting edge stuff! SEC news will slowly fade into the background, and Tsla will get back to $300. Then Nov Q3 ER will show M3 margin higher than 15% with an awesome Q4 guidance that would bring us back into the low $300.
-14% drop on fear of losing Elon as CEO is sort of expected. My guess stock price last night was pretty good ($260-$285 range vs $260-$278). Further analysis, consensus is this will take years and Elon would have the upper hand in court. He could also settle with SEC any day if they can work it out amd stock will pop.

With this, I would say Monday will be an another opportunity to add more shares. Tsla should be above $300 after Q3 ER and higher after Q4. There are a lot of bull money who will jump in when the stock stabilizes.

Hold strong longs. Go refinance your house ASAP and triple down...ok don’t do it, but Don’t sell at these low levels for a huge loss. It will come back up soon, because there is a sign:
Elon Musk on Twitter

I posted this earlier where the former SEC senior counsel pretty much saying SEC will most likely lose this case, Elon's tweet being "more than defensible".

Please pay attention also to war between medias. All medias are fighting for their market share. And when one of most famous CEO use Twitter for important info, there is a red alert in the legacy media supported by legacy industries. Means less $ for them.

Bravo! This sounds very reasonable. Elon’s billions + saudis billions = funding (verbally) secured. Elon can win this in court 8 years from today.
Next week it will be all about delivery numbers. Margin will increase due to favorable AWD and P3D mix. And about how autopilot V9 will make people super excited. And about full self driving testing rolled out to tesla employees. Cutting edge stuff! SEC news will slowly fade into the background, and Tsla will get back to $300. Then Nov Q3 ER will show M3 margin higher than 15% with an awesome Q4 guidance that would bring us back into the low $300.
-14% drop on fear of losing Elon as CEO is sort of expected. My guess stock price last night was pretty good ($260-$285 range vs $260-$278). Further analysis, consensus is this will take years and Elon would have the upper hand in court. He could also settle with SEC any day if they can work it out amd stock will pop.

With this, I would say Monday will be an another opportunity to add more shares. Tsla should be above $300 after Q3 ER and higher after Q4. There are a lot of bull money who will jump in when the stock stabilizes.

Hold strong longs. Go refinance your house ASAP and triple down...ok don’t do it, but Don’t sell at these low levels for a huge loss. It will come back up soon, because there is a sign:
Elon Musk on Twitter

I agree. The more Tesla info I digest the more optimistic I get. Today was tough. But it's become clear that the SEC case is tilting in Elon's favor.

I've always believed Elon was being truthful. The tweet was ill-timed, and not optimal, but truthful. THERE IS NO FRAUD.
I combed through every word from that tweet to the subsequent blog posts, through the complaint. The details matter. There's literally not a single piece of fraud anywhere (unless we're all being duped, which we're not).

There is one mistake he made - not forewarning the NASDAQ of the tweet. He will be rightfully fined for that and gladly pay. Then we will put this all behind.

(and I can't see the DOJ having a case)

Stay strong. We have to rally behind Elon. We're are so close to an inflection point in the electrification timeline. The future is inches away.

In case anybody needs a reminder, TSLA is on sale right now. 50% discount vs Intrinsic Value based on 5-year cash flows:

intrinsic-value.2018-09-28.png

( from Tesla (Nasdaq:TSLA) - Share price, News & Analysis free reg.req.)

I doubt that the dealer is billed when the car leaves the factory. I’d guess the dealer only gets billed when the cars get delivered on the dealers’ site (and the 60 days due date only starts then).
Yes then take the number of cars in that period x avg' value and divide by interest rate = cost of system/ loss of interest on capital/operating cost, must be considerable sum over a year, If not to the company then in terms of value of product to customer vs: final price paid. And don't forget all the advertising you paid for as the end consumer too.

Here's an encouraging end-of-Q3 delivery crunch "all hands on deck" data point:

I just returned from the Fremont Delivery Center (FDC).

While I was there, I overheard one employee tell another one they delivered almost 250 vehicles on Friday, and are scheduled to deliver 450 more on Saturday alone! That's 3+X+S I assume.

This doesn't count the people who get home deliveries out of the Kato Road "Tesla Direct" location. There are tons of cars there, too, and many people working out of that facility. I swung by it on my way to FDC. I also saw cars stashed in other parking lots around town when I drove there from my home in S. Fremont. One lot had 10's of Tesla's with their emergency flashers on. They told me it is a semaphore used to indicate the vehicle needs to be brought over to FDC. (The shorts would probably tell you those are the ones that need rework!) :p

My family and I were the last customers to leave around Friday 9/28 midnight with a Model 3 AWD+EAP. I had time to go through the entire checklist and couldn't find any issues while waiting for paperwork since they had to match me to a VIN right there after "Tesla Direct" home delivery stood me up earlier that afternoon. So far, it's awesome! Model 3: A+ Fremont Deliver Center: A+ "Tesla Direct": F

Last edited:
Mark Cuban SEC case appeared to tak e five years ex Wikipedia

On November 17, 2008, it was reported that the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filed a civil suit against Cuban relating to alleged insider trading in the shares of Mamma.com, now known as Copernic.[70] A stock dilution occurred shortly after a trade in June 2004, giving hints of inside knowledge at the time of the trade, and Cuban allegedly was saved from a loss of $750,000.[71] The SEC claimed that Cuban ordered the sale of his holdings in Mamma.com after he had been confidentially approached by the company to participate in a transaction likely to dilute shares of current shareholders. Cuban disputed the charges, saying he had not agreed to keep the information secret.[72] On his blog, Cuban contended the facts were false and that the investigation was "a product of gross abuse of prosecutorial discretion".[73] DealBook, a section of The New York Times, reported through an anonymous source that Cuban believed the investigation was motivated by an SEC employee having taken offense to his interest in possibly distributing the film Loose Change.[74]

In July 2009, the U.S. District Court dismissed the charges against Cuban, and the SEC appealed. In September 2010, an appeals court said that the district court had erred and that further proceedings would be necessary to address the merits of the suit.[75]

A federal jury in Texas found in favor of Cuban on October 16, 2013.[76] The nine-member jury issued the verdict after deliberating 3 hours and 35 minutes.[77]

This Elon case may just fade into the distance

What's wrong with the list? I'm not saying this should be the Board. I'm saying just one of them should join. Would make a great headline and alleviate much concern.

*is the the wrong thread for this?

Tesla has gone from a garage start-up to $50b, sorry, $42b capital value in a relatively short time. Their products are in huge demand. The brand has become one of the most aspirational on the planet. They're making record deliveries right now and ramping nicely. They are likely to be profitable now and for the future.

Why would I want to change anything?

You can argue that Elon's eccentricity is negatively effecting the SP. That may be so, but artificially so, thanks to the short sellers.

In reality, Elon being Elon is a huge asset as people that matter - prospective Tesla purchasers - relate to it and like it.

Tesla are so successful BECAUSE they don't follow the normal path. I want that to continue, even if we get ridiculous situations like this from time to time.

I posted this earlier where the former SEC senior counsel pretty much saying SEC will most likely lose this case, Elon's tweet being "more than defensible".

Note how significant that interview is: as a former SEC senior counsel he also has ultimate insight into the weak points of the SEC's legal strategy and statutory authority than most other lawyers commenting on this have - let alone that of non-lawyer commentators.

I pointed out some of those possible weaknesses in earlier comments, but there might be more which the former SEC counsel is probably not allowed to disclose due to work product and attorney-client privilege. I do believe the SEC wants out of this lawsuit as quickly as possible, they don't want this to go to trial, at all.

I'm quite certain that's not what the CNBC anchors wanted to hear though.

Last edited:
Elon has always been cavaliar when it comes to the stock market. Not doing enough research beforehand on what would happen to stock holders means many had to maneuver based only on what was twitted. If only musk spend as much time understanding the financial markey as he does on engineering before he decides to announce a financial move, that'd be enough for me.

The market reacts negatively to uncertainty. So it would objectively have been better if Elon Musk had first consulted with his legal team along the lines of:

"I am considering delisting Tesla or taking it private in some form. To what extent will it be possible for current investors to keep their stock?"
- and then either not tweet at all or communicate something more substantial.

I have to assume he did not inform himself sufficiently on matter since the resourceful Ark Invest appealed to him not to go forward with the deal, exactly because it would preclude a number of current investors from remaining with Tesla and that this contributed to him cancelling the attempt.

It is still possible that some preparation for a deal had been ongoing and that the revelation of the Saudi buy-in (on the open market) and its effect on the stock price forced his hand.

So I am not even convinced that his tweets were reckless, they may very well have been what he considered the least bad reaction to the timing of events beyond his control.

Anyway, it is very true that Musk's "first principles" analysis of physical problems (e.g. on how to populate Mars) is remarkable, and I think he is less convincing in his dealing with financial challenges.

Panasonic uneasy about partner Elon Musk's bombshells

There's the usual FUD, although it's interesting that they have a source claiming that Panasonic is getting leery of working with Musk, over things like the going private tweet and his "use" of marijuana on Joe Rogan's podcast.

(To be fair, my understanding is that the Japanese cultural attitudes towards those who smoke marijuana, on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Jeff Sessions, and 10 is Willie Nelson, are... probably a 1.)

Status
Not open for further replies.