Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to admit Elon's tweets have had an impact on the share price, to say otherwise is willful ignorance. It's frustrating but won't matter in the long term. I would rather have Elon tweeting and running Tesla than some polished CEO who just wants to please shareholders and wall street each Quarter end.

Anyway, let's get back to decoding the Lemur tweet...

"Short burn of the century" wasn't so coded, and we know how that turned into long burn of the century. There are many examples like that, but can you think of one example when any of the tweets turned out well for longs?
Many here would argue that a “long” doesn’t get burnt by these short term movements because they are in for several years not the day or week.

Day traders made money.
Swing traders made money.
Shorts made money.
Weak market speculators who bail out early lost money.
Short term option buyers lost money.

A few more years from now Longs will rake it in but many probably still won’t sell.

I can agree with you that for short term traders Elon’s antics are risky. You could do better trading something different. Elon recommends to exit TSLA and go trade something else.

The problem with EM's tweeting, I think, is that it sets unrealistic expectations that have a tiny chance of coming true. It's the way he does things, in order to push his people and himself, but simultaneously provides ammo to bears. In that way, sure, his tweeting depressed the SP, but only after it caused an initial lift. What's strange is that the people who complain about those tweets now got super-excited when those tweets (the production goals / features tweets, not the pedo ones) were put out. It's not like any long saw the 3mm, 6md tweet related to FSD and went "Oh, crap, better sell now cuz the SP is going down!".

Remember when you first appeared here with your way over the top bullish projections and we all tried to tell you to be more realistic?

Step 2: Discredit, even though it has nothing to do with the specifics being discussed. The TMC Vigilante playbook is too predictable.

Did you have anything to say about the nearly five-year flat stock performance being pushed aside to mislabel concerned retail investors as short-term speculators? Are you personalizing this discussion, because you can't argue on facts?

Second, my post says "nearly five years;" the high price on February 24, 2014: $265 per share.

Can you explain why you are picking the local high 5 years ago, while today we are pretty close to what is a local low?

I.e. in your arbitrary comparison why were you willing to pick a price point 'approximately' 5 years ago that was favorable to your argument, while unwilling to do the same favor and go back about 2 months and use $370-$380 as the high point?

I.e. I don't think the comparison you made is fair: 5 years ago you add the effects of volatility, today you subtract the effects of volatility.

Reminds me of the global warming comparisons that used 1997 as a starting date: the local temperature high point of an En Nino cycle from where you can see 'cooling' occur for a couple of years ...

Step 2: Discredit, even though it has nothing to do with the specifics being discussed. The TMC Vigilante playbook is too predictable.
It has to do with your victim mentality. "Waaa, people disagree with me, that's an attack!" :rolleyes:

Did you have anything to say about the nearly five-year flat stock performance being pushed aside to mislabel concerned retail investors as short-term speculators? Are you personalizing this discussion, because you can't argue on facts?
The stock has not been "flat", it's moved all over the place, because it's a volatile stock, as we all know. What "facts" do you think we aren't addressing? There are many factors which have moved the stock price, both up and down. You seem to want to ignore all the forces at work and only concentrate on what you think Elon did wrong, many of us disagree, simple as that.

Again, you are missing the essence of my post, which is that many more than just short-term speculators have been hurt by the stock's long-term performance. Four years is a very, very long time for retail investors. Failing to acknowledge this is denying important facts... for what purpose?

It's important that we acknowledge why investors are frustrated: 8 out of 10 have not seen *any* return on their capital: ValueAnalyst on Twitter
No you are completely wrong. You, and I guess many more, are just REALLY bad at playing the stock market when it comes to TSLA. I have only made money every years trading Tesla anyway I have chosen except short term options. I learned quickly not to trade short term options with TSLA but I am still up 20% with my trading money. And when I say UP I mean I have withdrawn the initial seed money from my trading fund for this years and put it back in my checking account. I still have 20% in the fund after the transfer. I think 20% is pretty good for 10 months.

You and all those others should go trade something safer. Or stop selling so often and stop with the options.

Five years is peanuts for investing, retail or not. The stock market is not a place for gambling. It is not a saving account. It is where you invest in companies you want to succeed. Sure you make money in the process if you do it right . The percentage is not the point. Funding companies you believe in is the point.

Yes I speculate and basically gamble in the market but I don’t cry about it because technically that’s not what the stock market is for. Elon has clearly said do not invest in TSLA if you do not like volatility. Why are you still here?

Why Tesla skeptics are feeling so good — CNN Business

I feel sorry for these guys(not). Is this all they got? Too little demand? Too much luxury? Everybody I talk to wants a model 3, and I live in northern Rockies, not LA. If there is so little demand, why is almost every automaker trying to catch up.

Timed perfectly for our reading pleasure at the MMD.

5 year flat stock performance? I must be tripping because I swear in that time I've bought at $150 and sold at $370...

I think most of us would agree that TSLA is currently undervalued. TSLA hasn't really helped my portfolio over the past few years. Rather than complaining about this, and looking to place blame on Elon or the company, I've been seeing this as a buying opportunity. Buy low, sell high, that sort of thing.

Blimey, what a discussion folks!

upload_2018-10-18_17-38-10.png

Many here would argue that a “long” doesn’t get burnt by these short term movements because they are in for several years not the day or week.

Day traders made money.
Swing traders made money.
Shorts made money.
Weak market speculators who bail out early lost money.
Short term option buyers lost money.

A few more years from now Longs will rake it in but many probably still won’t sell.

I can agree with you that for short term traders Elon’s antics are risky. You could do better trading something different. Elon recommends to exit TSLA and go trade something else.
I think you forgot to add the group that was "I just liquidated my 401K to buy more TESLA stock - 420 baby!"
And, "I just took a 2nd mortgage and will buy more stock here (370$) going to 420 baby!"

Read back through this thread and you'll find those posts from members. I and many others said "do NOT take a 2nd mortgage to buy more TESLA stock", etc. And, I should add were summarily smacked down hard.

Sadly, THAT group is clearly in the LOST money category. Now, some might argue "well, you haven't lost money till you sold", but for the person who took out a 2nd, or HELOC (there was one of those as well) they are paying signifiant interest on those loans and holding a stock that is now hmm, 30% less than what it was? And possibly going lower.

Granted as well. Some, many, possibly all of those posts could have been simple hyperbole. We don't know, some I believe were not as they have re-engaged with their current state or misery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.