Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Shenzhen Robotics Firm Is Selling Industrial Robot Arms To The Masses

Robots are getting very cheap - 7 axis (only 5kg) for $7000 and then $2000..... The plan was that Tesla were going to start printing free cash flow and spend the winnings on robots and gigafactories in order to make more free cash flow. Now with tents and almost free robots on their way, how are they going to get rid of the moolah?

It's basically gonna look like stealing from a baby - practically criminal. The answer therefore is probably going to have to be dark pool bitcoins to build in the Caymans - Elon's masterplan 3. I give you:

upload_2018-11-21_13-27-16.jpeg

The swing is inevitable because of the young vs old divide on the subject. Global Warming Age Gap: Younger Americans Most Worried Older people bear more of the responsibility for climate change, but have little time left to fix it. Much easier just to pretend it isn't real.

I had an old (70s) man walk up to me recently in a parking lot to ask about my S. He told me he didn't like Elon and that he heard Tesla's crash a lot. I told him he should test drive one. He said he is happy with his new Lincoln. Why would he care about Earth's temperature in 2040 when he's dead? "Fossil" fuel indeed.

When one considers children, grandchildren, and in my case, four great grand daughters and a 40 year younger wife, that is scary. N of one, of course, but so is referenced example and interpretation.

When I was a young assistant prof on the make, I was caught up short by some uncharitable statements I made about the need to get rid of older profs. Somehow my older colleagues took issue with my comments. My favorite math teacher in high school used to say, "too bad perspective comes at the wrong time of life." Typically, at the time I thought his a no-excrement statement. How could you get perspective without the perspective of experience?

At 82 guess my perspective.

I think that at this point the market will be more confident that more deliveries means more profit, especially given that Tesla will begin to go global with the Model 3 and that Tesla needs to increase production to be profitable with the SR.

I agree 100%. I am hoping for a bump at the start of December when we have those nice November EV sales figures and the huge jump for M3 in october can no longer be written off as an anomaly or coincidence. Nothing overcomes FUD better than a bar chart showing Tesla crushing its competitors.

This Shenzhen Robotics Firm Is Selling Industrial Robot Arms To The Masses

Robots are getting very cheap - 7 axis (only 5kg) for $7000 and then $2000..... The plan was that Tesla were going to start printing free cash flow and spend the winnings on robots and gigafactories in order to make more free cash flow. Now with tents and almost free robots on their way, how are they going to get rid of the moolah?

It's basically gonna look like stealing from a baby - practically criminal. The answer therefore is probably going to have to be dark pool bitcoins to build in the Caymans - Elon's masterplan 3. I give you:

View attachment 354536
I expect Tesla to produce robots themselves in the future. That's partly or fully what Grohman Engineering does, although I don't understand well what they actually do.

Only if we had a functioning government with some kind of vision and sense of purpose.

At the risk of over-simplifying things due to my early preference for engineering, there is always a time lag in adjusting the money economy and relevant aspects of what economists call the "real" economy. In the latter case nature, say, second law, will eventually prevail. Since money is by definition the fungible mediator between reality and expectations, financial panic can be contagious thus Keynes' statement "the market is a popularity contest."

When politics is used to divide us it causes uncertainty. To repeat the ultimate no sh**t statement, markets hate uncertainty. There is such a disconnect between what nature demands and what our institutions of politics permit at present, the market's collapse is certainly self-inflicted.

Wise heads here have frequently warned us. Our Samson-like urges are finally bringing down the walls of the temple. By comparison the Fed is relatively inconsequential, but in far wiser hands than idealogues like Alan Greenspan.

Edit: Cf. TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

Last edited:
It looks like the German government is getting more and more annoyed about the behaviour of the German car industry.

Yesterday German minister Peter Altmaier said the following during a meeting:
It was a nice round: Economics Minister Peter Altmaier (CDU) and the CEOs Herbert Diess of Volkswagen and Dieter Zetsche of Daimler sat together with Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfer. At the end of a publishing event by Axel Springer, the four discussed the future of mobility, e-cars and autonomous driving.

For one and a half hours they discussed in Berlin, it was laughed quite well. Then, in the penultimate question of Döpfner, Altmaier suddenly took off. "German cars have always been sexy: BMW, Mercedes and even the VW Beetle in the 60s," said the minister. And then: "I really wonder when you, Mr. Zetsche, or you, Mr. Diess, or Mr. Krüger of BMW will be able to build an electric car that is only half as sexy as a Tesla. As far as the appeal of their e-cars is concerned, you could actually bring in some fresh ideas."
It follows an abrupt change of topic

The two CEOs said nothing at first - or at least the interview, which then appeared in the "Welt am Sonntag", no answer. An abrupt change of subject follows the Altmaier quote. Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess had previously acknowledged a backlog in the development of autonomously driving cars. One must admit that about the Google subsidiary Waymo in driverless vehicles one to two years ahead, he said. "But we are determined to catch up. The game is not lost yet. "He pointed out that much depends on state regulation.
Link to full article in German language.

Can somebody please update me on the convertible notes? It’s about $900 million worth that’s due in March, right? But if the TSLA price stays above ~360 conversion is likely, right?

As Tesla prefers to pay back the notes rather than have them converted, shouldn’t Tesla pay them back as early as possible in order to avoid conversion?

And would this be released as public information? I mean, could we get a press release any day now saying that $900 million worth of notes are paid back?

Reactions: replicant
Yes and how many of us bought at 60 + and held for far too long.
GE? It traded at 60$ for like one day nearly 19 years ago. I doubt there are many holders at all with a 60$ share average. It was only over 50$ for about an 8 month period right around the peak of the dot com bubble and it hasn’t been anywhere near that number since or prior to the crazy dot com peak. It’ll make a nice long term tax loss sale for you though.

It looks like the German government is getting more and more annoyed about the behaviour of the German car industry.

Yesterday German minister Peter Altmaier said the following during a meeting:
It was a nice round: Economics Minister Peter Altmaier (CDU) and the CEOs Herbert Diess of Volkswagen and Dieter Zetsche of Daimler sat together with Axel Springer CEO Mathias Döpfer. At the end of a publishing event by Axel Springer, the four discussed the future of mobility, e-cars and autonomous driving.

For one and a half hours they discussed in Berlin, it was laughed quite well. Then, in the penultimate question of Döpfner, Altmaier suddenly took off. "German cars have always been sexy: BMW, Mercedes and even the VW Beetle in the 60s," said the minister. And then: "I really wonder when you, Mr. Zetsche, or you, Mr. Diess, or Mr. Krüger of BMW will be able to build an electric car that is only half as sexy as a Tesla. As far as the appeal of their e-cars is concerned, you could actually bring in some fresh ideas."
It follows an abrupt change of topic

The two CEOs said nothing at first - or at least the interview, which then appeared in the "Welt am Sonntag", no answer. An abrupt change of subject follows the Altmaier quote. Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess had previously acknowledged a backlog in the development of autonomously driving cars. One must admit that about the Google subsidiary Waymo in driverless vehicles one to two years ahead, he said. "But we are determined to catch up. The game is not lost yet. "He pointed out that much depends on state regulation.
Link to full article in German language.

But you left out what the VW marketing guy said "So you think we should make the E-GOLF less sexy ?"

In France, people just love to protest. They've been pioneers in the field for ever
It might be better to protest and try to force politicians to take people's concerns seriously, than to put populists in power and have the society torn apart.

NB: In France, the very rich emit 40 times more carbon than the poor, but the poor pay more than 4 times more carbon tax in % of their income (source)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.