Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm long on $TSLA, looking for > 10x current price - won't touch my core account

$NVDA, just looking for a quick win. It could easily go up 50% in short term from here, I think, I'd then sell and rebuy my $TSLA back.

Do you not have a solid timeframe (more than just "short term") for NVidia movement? Or at least a probability spread for your timeframe?

What's your grounds for thinking that the price adjustment isn't justified? Or that NVidia will be hurt less by a bad macro environment than TSLA?

upload_2018-11-21_1-11-45.png
T

Reactions: MartinAustin
Do you not have a solid timeframe? Or at least a probability spread for your timeframe?

What's your grounds for thinking that the price adjustment isn't justified?

No, I'm easy on timeframes. I have a well-paid day-job, my investment is to be cashed-in on as-and-when I think it's a good moment. No need for the moment and I'm mostly not at all interested in trading.

My thinking? Gut feeling, that's all :)

Okay. I personally recommend investing in defensible theses, not gut feelings, but to each their own :) Just make sure you're in TSLA for the predictably-timed market movers like quarterly reports, product unveilings, etc (I'd avoid 10-Qs and delivery reports... the former is just bear-fodder and the latter, you might as well just flip a coin as to how the market will react; deliveries are usually well priced in advance). There's no guarantee that any given quarterly report, product unveiling, etc will have a positive impact on the share price, but if you believe in the TSLA thesis, you should expect that they generally will involve upward stock movement.

No, I'm easy on timeframes. I have a well-paid day-job, my investment is to be cashed-in on as-and-when I think it's a good moment. No need for the moment and I'm mostly not at all interested in trading.

My thinking? Gut feeling, that's all :)

I sold some of my Tesla and bought Amazon and Apple, as I think they will bounce back soon, don't see Tesla moving till Q4 results. Will move back into Tesla for 2019 and beyond. Nothing has changed fundamentally with these companies, and the sell-off is a huge overreaction.

I sold some of my Tesla and bought Amazon and Apple, as I think they will bounce back soon, don't see Tesla moving till Q4 results. Will move back into Tesla for 2019 and beyond. Nothing has changed fundamentally with these companies, and the sell-off is a huge overreaction.
In the event of a hypothetical AAPL and AMZN rebound, TSLA will be blasting off into uncharted territory, imo. I do feel AMZN has a great outlook and should recover and then some. AAPL I don't really "get" but think it's overvalued.

The environment changed. Widespread selloff that might just ended, but it might just be a rest point, before it continues it's downward course.

I feel many here let their anti-Trump bias cloud their judgment.

The stand off with China has bigger implications in the long term. The more I look in Trump's history, the more I see he was talking about that for years. I don't think it will be a stretch to think that other very powerful people have the same convictions as him.

Once China overcomes US economically there is no way back. Military stand off is off the table, so the only possible way is economical pressure, which the sooner is done the better. The argument whether China, as #1 power presents real danger to US is another topic, irrelevant at this point.

If the above assumption is correct, Trump won't back off before the Chinese agree deal, ensuring the US economy can keep the existing gap. If/when it happens, impacts the general macro significantly.

I'm contemplating the unthinkable, to sell a small amount of $TSLA and grab some $NVDA, just $5k's worth, for fun.

I think Nvidia is way over-sold and could bounce hard, but Tesla is going to wander the halls of $350 for a while yet.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't...

All the FAANG equities are up in the pre-market today, lead by NVDA. Hopefully that means we found the bottom. Here's today's Movers and Losers as of 05:30 EST. Cheers!

NASDAQ-100..FAANG.by%chg.pre-market.2018-11-21-05-30.png

Last edited:
I'm contemplating the unthinkable, to sell a small amount of $TSLA and grab some $NVDA, just $5k's worth, for fun.

I think Nvidia is way over-sold and could bounce hard, but Tesla is going to wander the halls of $350 for a while yet.

I'm long on $TSLA, looking for > 10x current price - won't touch my core account

$NVDA, just looking for a quick win. It could easily go up 50% in short term from here, I think, I'd then sell and rebuy my $TSLA back.

Damn, I can't trade in pre-market until 14:00 local time - 90 minutes before opening bell...

Ah, been there, done that, except with SQ and NFLX few weeks ago (which brought me some success in the past)... $5k down the drain. And I don't blame them, but the macros. And it seems everyone is bearish or at least careful of macros while TSLA does stand out.

There's gonna be a few positive news coming out of TSLA in the next 3 months (opening Europe, Q4 deliveries, Q4 earnings, Model Y, paying off some debt, new board members) with very high certainty (I'd wager not ever before there has been such confidence in short term news) and the market is starting to recognize this stock (latest resistance against macros is the best proof).

I share the gut feeling you have about some of these stocks that went down heavily, but I've been burnt by my gut few times this year... So I just consider TSLA a very safe investment now and my gut says the days of volatility are over (at least until Model Y ramp :D). NVDA/NFLX/SQ will only go back up if macros allow and TSLA has a very good chance of sky rocketing with good macros.

The stand off with China has bigger implications in the long term. The more I look in Trump's history, the more I see he was talking about that for years. I don't think it will be a stretch to think that other very powerful people have the same convictions as him.

If the above assumption is correct, Trump won't back off before the Chinese agree deal, ensuring the US economy can keep the existing gap. If/when it happens, impacts the general macro significantly.
First, few people well-educated in economics have ever agreed with Trump's economic views.
Second, his track record going back the >30 years I have been aware of him (resident of NYC and/or corporate banker with NYC-based bank) during Trump's infamous Commodore Hotel, Plaza Hotel, Atlantic City and Eastern Air Shuttle deals. In these, as in many of his deals later as President, he ignores details, lies about his backing and often loses, then calls it a win.
Third, the rise of populist/jingoistic political leadership around the world gives substantial justification for pessimism.

Lastly, I don't see only doom and gloom, but I do see substantial headwinds from political dystopia in US, UK, Italy, several countries in Eastern Europe, most of the Middle East including Israel, Australia, Brazil, Venezuela and on and on. Those are all enough to be depressing. Add to those factors the rapidly growing population of aging people collecting pensions and one see structural fissures from Japan, Poland, Brazil, US, and almost everywhere taht make income-producing populations shrink as a percentage of total population. These are enough to tank markets.

When one considers all those things in context of a US inability/unwillingness to be a partner in global solutions one can expect market volatility, exacerbated by the obviously massive threat from climate change, completely or largely ignored by most political forces worldwide.

Despite the foregoing I remain long APPL and TSLA, among others, because other options seem even less attractive. My non-US investments I continue to hold also without major alterations. I fully expect my net worth to reduce during the next few years, with negligible impact on my life. OTOH, I am also in the process of moving off-the-grid as much as possible and taking other steps to insulate myself as much as possible from the already obvious dramatic climate changes.

Luckily, Trump's non-US support is very limited. OTOH, here in Brazil his emulators have just taken power. The outlook is pretty dismal here also.

Obviously all this is not strictly market action. Still, in this situation TSLA is one of the few holdings trhat might well defy gravity. Thus, I continue to accumulate shares on dips and hold on highs, to the extent I can assess such things, which means I mostly just accumulate as afternoon lulls appear..

(TSLA's) latest resistance against macros is the best proof

There's an interesting theory going around that TSLA's monday mornings resilience in the face of strong macro headwinds was partially the result of short covering by UBS.

Ihor @ S3 Associates discussed the possibility on Twitter, but said that much of the covering may be outside of the transactions visible to him, because "the activity was probably covered with internal Prime Broker stock loan supply which makes it even more invisible to us."

If news gets out that UBS has abandoned its short position, heads will roll, and so will TSLA. :D

Guess we'll know for sure what happened when @Fact Checking publishes his next report. :cool:

Cheers!

In the event of a hypothetical AAPL and AMZN rebound, TSLA will be blasting off into uncharted territory, imo. I do feel AMZN has a great outlook and should recover and then some. AAPL I don't really "get" but think it's overvalued.

Not sure TSLA will move much until Feb/March when they show Q4 profits and Model Y release and pay off the 900M debt. I rolled all my calls to later in the year and moved my stocks for the shorter term into AAPL and AMZN.

Not sure TSLA will move much until Feb/March when they show Q4 profits and Model Y release and pay off the 900M debt. I rolled all my calls to later in the year and moved my stocks for the shorter term into AAPL and AMZN.

I would expect TSLA to move on delivery estimates. Although profits would depend on the ASP, I think that at this point the market will be more confident that more deliveries means more profit, especially given that Tesla will begin to go global with the Model 3 and that Tesla needs to increase production to be profitable with the SR.

The 2018Q3 delivery numbers didn't move the stock as much because there was so much uncertainty on margin.

No, it's been undervalued for the last decade and still was when it hit new ATHs last month. There is no rational explanation for the low P/E (<15 today, should be 25 at least).

Agree I was dumbfounded yesterday seeing PE drop below 15 for AAPL. As far as how high it should be is hard to say but I think a trade from < 15 to 20 makes a lot of sense to me in the short term.

If markets continue to crash it is feasible to see it go to PE 12. At that point it should be a bet the farm price in my opinion.

Reactions: mutle

I did exactly that trade. Regretted it almost instantly but I think nvda will recover enough to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.