Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a small $TSLA early-trading bump in the price, which started in the European session.

Maybe it's related to this very positive Model 3 Performance review posted today by Top Gear:

Tesla Model 3 Performance review: is it a BMW M3 and C63 rival?

Was written by Jason Barlow, with the kind of quotes that are going to convert people to Tesla. My favorite one is:

It just feels… right. Once you’ve acclimatised to the minimalist interior, you can’t help wondering why all cars aren’t designed this way. The air vents span the whole length of the cabin, there are two column stalks – wipers, and the drive selector – the 15in touchscreen is now landscape-oriented, and the hazard warning button is above your head. Whatever in-car feng shui is called, the Model 3 has it.
This is exactly what is needed to counter all the FUD and lies.

Note that since then there was a drop in early trading - which coincided with a selloff on NASDAQ futures - could be profit taking after yesterday's big NASDAQ gains, correlating with $TSLA.

Obviously enough of them do. And interestingly enough- they are the ones with proven record of recognizing truly disruptive companies in their early stages.

I sincerely disagree. I think all of them would agree with every bullet, and are choosing to invest despite of them.

And that's fine. We're all trying to predict the future.

But Twitter bulls lose a lot of credibility when arguing things like...
  • "Pshhhh, Moody's. Remember 2008? Lol"
  • "The NYTimes, Wall Street Journal - they're just FUD"
  • "Maybe Vern is a pedophile"
  • "Competition LOL. Tesla is going to get a 50%+ global market share of the entire global auto industry. Just wait and see."
  • "Shorts positions are inherently evil."
  • "Tesla will launch X new products before 2020."
All of these are just stupidly ignorant statements, many of which have been made on this forum. Even more often on Twitter.

And when bulls make these statements, it weakens their core argument: Tesla is ahead and will build on their lead.

Market action please
Ok, right, I forgot where I was so I deleted my off-topic posts. Note, the borrow rate at IB is back above 2% where it was before Elon's going private tweet. In the meantime I don't expect much upwards movement until the second half of September so the shorts can drive it down a little in the meantime. By a little that could be $250 again - the sentiment seems to be ridiculously negative. Or we're at a bottom. I have no idea.

oh get off my back :) And no, it's the company needs to be successful to fulfill the mission statement. I honestly don't care if people on here or in the world don't make that extra 100k because the stock didn't go up another $10 or whatever because the company chose to produce the SR to get more people driving electric. Glad people want to make money off the company, but not at the expense of keeping certain products off the market. Here, look at this again, it's from the company. It shows nothing about stock price, just the focus of expanding

You're the one focusing on stock price. The company needs to be profitable to continue to exist. Selling the SR 3 now which you keep complaining about would hurt the company and hurt the mission. You keep talking about greed while ignoring your own greed to get your car and the rebate. Your personal desires run counter to actually helping the company complete their mission.

Last edited:
If you had bought TSLA below $30 you'ld have 10x your money also...
Tesla's position in its growth curve is an independent thing to Amazon's...
Not that Elon's twittering has anything to do with the Model 3 ramp, or Tesla's balance sheet.

Why should I be furious? If the stock was at $400, I still wouldn't be selling, so it doesn't matter to me.

No. You choose to take on the risk or not. Going with Tesla has meant going with Elon since they were first listed. If you don't want to place money on that pairing, then don't. If one thinks a CEO is reckless, then leaving money in is carelessness on their part, but Elon has no obligation to bend to our opinion of what he should do.

Edit: risky loans provide higher interest rates as an incentive. Risky stocks are just risky, with no guarantee of return. I do not put TSLA in that category.
You basically miss the prior post's entire point with this answer. He is just saying Musk's childish behavior has cost alot of us significant amounts of money I'm down for some of my shares since I purchased them....And mostly due to non business related news, just his tweets.

I'm still invested but the latest tweet behavior does give cause for doubt. I think tesla has a great future and Musk is good on the engineering side...but I wish he'd be 100x wiser on the communication side.

Because he holds my money and is in a position of public trust with many small investors I do expect better behavior and self control. I don't like the excuses that you get the good with the bad or you somehow have to be reckless to be innovative.

Ok, right, I forgot where I was so I deleted my off-topic posts. Note, the borrow rate at IB is back above 2% where it was before Elon's going private tweet. In the meantime I don't expect much upwards movement until the second half of September so the shorts can drive it down a little in the meantime. By a little that could be $250 again - the sentiment seems to be ridiculously negative. Or we're at a bottom. I have no idea.

As chairman of the board, Elon HAS AN OBLIGATION to look after shareholder interests. He didn't fulfill that obligation with his funding secured tweet or the haphazard plan to take Tesla private.

BTW it's also ridiculous that Elon is chairman of the board in addition to being CEO and that his brother sits on the same board. How can you possibly have an independent board?
I don't want an independent board.
I don't want a CEO that gives a *sugar* about your day to day account balance, or mine.
I want a CEO that creates value at a rate much higher than the rest of the market, that ignores entitled little shits that think less risk should be taken or less money spent to support the price of a stock.

If you want to invest in a company that cares about such short term nonsense then I hadh Ford shares are on sale. They even discontinued an entire product segment just to prevent volatility from showing bad delivery numbers.

You want an example of what we are up against. Read this tweet and the replies:

Reuters Top News on Twitter

Main stream media are putting these parking lot truthers on a pedestal as champions and heroes. One guy is a rabid misogynist and personally attacks bulls in DMs, but the Reuters writer has been trolling twitter saying she is in the "Market" for Tesla inside info so she can continue to write these terrible articles. This while youall wonder why the stock is down 10 days in a row. One major reason is that Fudsters spread false narratives that the media picks up and lately has been quoting these same fudsters like they are facts. This crap gets clicks so the media is very happy to push it. I mean, there is no one to correct the record. One parking lot truther finds 2 days worth of production on a logistics/shipping lot and they claim Tesla is not selling cars, they are just building them to make production goals then stashing them. Now this is stupid, I know that, you know that, but the press is reporting it likes its facts and people are commenting how these images are making them get a second mortgage to short Tesla. Without anyone to counter this crap, its only going to get worse. Think of it like Bitcoin, only you are on the other side of the trade as it goes to 20k. Its becoming in vogue to bash Tesla and have people like Chanos and MBS on CNBC. We have Gali and the Loup Ventures guy.

You can spare 20 minutes a day to counter some of this vile crap.

we know this bullshit is going on, so does elon and tesla. and tesla could do something about it, so why aren’t they?
all they have to do is have a tactful PR team that simply negates most of this *sugar*.
OR, elon himself, since hes really the PR, could simply negate most of this crap.

i’m not saying reply to these individual scumbags that sabotage for profit on twitter. instead they can reply, professionally, to any article with facts. even if once a month, this would send a clear message, don’t F with us

what’s been going on instead is quite the contrary. he’s losing the PR battle. and the scumbag shorts and media are controlling the narrative now because tesla doesn’t say a word, nor does elon.

he could mention a million different things without divulging anything material that would be positive PR (not talking about mkt moving stuff).

he’s already done this for years, so it’s not a new concept.

he let them get under his skin, this lately is his own creation.
- attack media in may (IMO rightfully so, they’re dirtbags - but should’ve been handled differently) now he barely gets a fair shake from anyone.
- the pedo guy, june and this week - no reason for it. i don’t care if someone is egging him on...what are we, teenagers? there’s a better way to handle, period

a ceo responsible for 10s of billions and 10s of thousands of people just can’t do that.

i’m NOT saying stay off social media. i’m JUST saying do not have petty name calling on social media, or doing anything that the public will say, wtf?
this turns people against you, and your products. these are potential customers! and at this early stage, it’s ever important! let’s not kid ourselves.

this is part of the playbook for the enemy..can’t destroy the company? destroy the man!

so why give them ammo to do it!!!!!

the psychology of social media is another animal altogether. i’m guessing 33% of the users are pure trolls who hate themselves, so projecting their hatred and wishing failure on others is their only outlet in life, and social media is the only empowering tool for them besides outright violence.

elon should continue using it to his advantage, not detriment.

I don't want an independent board.
I don't want a CEO that gives a *sugar* about your day to day account balance, or mine.
I want a CEO that creates value at a rate much higher than the rest of the market, that ignores entitled little shits that think less risk should be taken or less money spent to support the price of a stock.

If you want to invest in a company that cares about such short term nonsense then I hadh Ford shares are on sale. They even discontinued an entire product segment just to prevent volatility from showing bad delivery numbers.
At some point, you might wonder when Elon crosses the line and put his personal reputation above the company's interests. In my opinion, he's recently been on the knife-edge. That's to the detriment of most shareholders.

I just want a CEO that doesn't make me look like an idiot shortly after I defend him to detractors.

I don't ask for much. All I want is someone to filter his tweets. Not even for him to stop tweeting, just some human being between his phone and tweet publication - a human being who will pass most straight through imediately, but when there's controversy, can ask for more info from Elon, the board, key executives and Tesla's legal department.

If Musk won't agree to this sort of thing willingly, maybe it's time to vote in a resolution mandating such a thing. "All board members and top executives must have any social media postings they make cleared with a Social Media Manager before they're posted." Or something along those lines. With enforceable consequences for violations.

He needs a filter between his brain and Twitter, because his brain lacks one on its own. That's not an insult to his intelligence - actually just the opposite, as many incredibly smart people are poor at reading social situations.

Last edited:
No one takes $tsla bulls seriously on Twitter because they often make some outrageous statements.

If you disagree with any one of these bullets, you're not going to be taken seriously by mainstream media or Wall St:
  • The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Moody's are all generally respected organizations that have more trust and respect than Elon Musk
  • Tesla's current cash position is very weak.
  • There are signs of financial distress at Tesla:
    • Asking suppliers for refunds
    • Elon cracking down on contractors/suppliers
    • Elon personally approving every 1M+ expense
    • Laying off 9% of their workforce
  • The Model 3 ramp has been a disaster. Q2 average production was below their Q1 target.
  • Tesla is yet to verify that they have delivered 5000 Model 3s per week in any two consecutive weeks.
  • SolarCity was a disasterous acquisition due to their liquidity problems and debt obligations.
  • Tesla will need to raise billions for all of their projects if any are to happen before July 2020:
    • Semi
    • Pickup Truck
    • Solar Roof
    • Model Y
    • Roadster
    • Germany Factory
    • Shanghai Factory
  • Tesla level 4/5 autonomous driving is still several years away.
  • The $35,000 Model 3 does not appear to be coming in 2018.
  • Elon Musk has been behaving erratically on Twitter and conference calls since Q2 began, to the detriment of his reputation and Tesla shareholders.
  • The auto industry is unlikely to be a winner-take-all market.
You might personally disagree with these statements, but professional investors and fund managers won't.

not everything you listed is a fact. some is true. some is opinion. not going to go through it again for the 100th time. but some of the TSLAQs are equally insane. we get it. personally i don’t think either extreme is correct. as honestly, neither does the market. that’s why tesla has been rangebound, but volatile, for years.

Here is a nice upstanding Journalist offering to pay people for dirt on Tesla. This is the same lady who is idolizing a misogynist parking lot truther:

Sarah N. Lynch on Twitter

Her hatred for Tesla is so great, or her love for Clicks is so great, they she does not care if she is putting a misogynist up on a pedestal. These are the forces aligning against Tesla. Without smart people to counter this crap, it will only get worse.

lazy journalists can’t do their own work. they hate elon so much for attacking them that they’ll shed all integrity just to get back at him.
worthless.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
Status
Not open for further replies.