Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you honestly think that article is FUD (given The Verge is a tech site with a huge amount of credibility) then you're neck-deep in fanboy land. There is not one line in that article that is factually inaccurate.

People dismissing material developments and news which is negative, are just as bad (if not worse) than those who are focusing entirely on the negative news.
Being misleading while being factually accurate are why it's FUD. For instance, lets say I replace "some" and "sedans" with "the lowest volume" and "sedan".

While the Model 3 has struggled, it’s still selling better than the lowest volume traditional luxury sedan.

In this case the author is using an incomplete comparison after a subjective statement to frame Model 3 production/sales in a negative light. The 3 is selling better than every other luxury sedan and every other non-luxury sedan except for the Accord, Camry, Civic, and Corolla.

Incomplete comparison - Wikipedia

Edit - Switched inaccurate with accurate

Last edited:
Agree with you. I feel sorry for you.. I've lost also 10000$ because of this clown. My only hope is that stock will go again in the 360s so I can sell it all off to another bagholder. Until then... I am risking my life savings for this jerk.
don't feel sorry for me, I'm still up for the year. feel sorry for yourself. you may possibly get your money back after Q3/Q4 results.
I am just staying out for now because I think something is wrong with Elon's mental health. I hope I'm wrong.

If Tim Cook or Mary Barra or Jeff Bezos took a hit during a live interview with a cable news network, what would you think? The same as what you typed above?
Jeff Bezos took a whole bunch of hits in the beginning of 2000s. Tim Cook and Mary Barra are nobodies, MBA managers in their finest.
EDIT: I even didn't think it's about smoking pot. Who cares?
Musk is actually against smoking pot, and this interview didn't change this image. Ironically Jeff Bezos is not, but again who would care and why in 2018?

Last edited:
Once profitability hits, Elon will suddenly be allowed to do any interview he likes and discuss wide-ranging topics without the entire investing world coming to an end.
what happens when it 'hits'? Everyone cheers for a minute and then Tesla spends insane amounts to produce a truck, Y, Semi and factories in China? the light at the end of the tunnel seems way out there

The problem is, it wasn't "dismissing material developments because they are negative" -- it is all the spin, oversights, misleading statements, etc. Since I, and others, have covered this already I don't see any point in repeating it. The reason I am responding is your contention that MB, VAG, etc. have skin in the game with real EV offers.

I mean, in a technical way they are (or eventually will be) real -- but they aren't real in that they are too little and years behind. In fact the MB EQC is the poster child for what is wrong with thinking that it is just a matter of the established automotive companies deciding that its time to start competing.

A claim oft repeated is that they have vast experience in tooling, production, whatever. All very true, but then this is extended to "prove" that doing an EV is no different than an ICE. After all, its still a frame, suspension, wheels, seats, etc., right? The only difference is replacing the gas tank with a battery and the ICE with an electric, right?

And that thinking is what brought us the EQC. It is a completely risk averse design that uses as much as possible in common with other vehicles so it *will* be taking advantage of MB vast experience in tooling, production, etc. There's just one problem, and that is that this approach produces an inferior EV. It lacks range, it lacks acceleration, it lacks top end, it lacks storage (due to inefficiencies brought on by trying to wedge an EV into an ICE). And that is just considering the vehicle. A large part of Tesla's success comes from the supercharger network. What is MB doing for that?

Unlike GM's attempt it will probably turn a profit, but unless they seriously revamp the design (which will drive up production costs considerably) it isn't likely to sell well. I don't know what their sales target is so, by their definitions/expectations it may perform quite well. But it is laughable to think they will break into the top 10 of EVs, much less challenge Tesla.

So, no, don't mistake the EQC as MB having "skin in the game" as it is anything but. They are barely dipping their toes, not committing anything: not a new design/production line, not backing up their car with a charge network, nothing. No skin at all.
Exacty. Where is the charging network? Not a single dedicated fast charger at Tesla or better standard anywhere on the globe. None. Not one.

There is no serious competition.

Yes, there are similarities between ICE and ev car manufacturing, but as Elon pointed out last night with his Lotus example, manufacturing a complete ev is significantly different then ICE. This is why Tesla has a mass production advantage currently since no big auto company has put in the capital to scal EV specific vehicle production as Tesla has. There is only so far ICE expertise can take them, until they have to put in the elbow grease to develop scaled ev production (and development) processes, they won’t touch Tesla Motors.

Also, Elon mentioned coming out with a new air conditioning unit/system for homes... did anyone else catch that? He also mention some big Neurolink announcement, among a few other “Easter eggs” in the interview... oh well, I guess puffing (but not inhaling) was the biggest news of the night...

Sooo, market action. Today's seems to be dictated by (a) pot smoking in interview making some investors nervous and (b) CAO departure under weird circumstances. If (b) is either because of bookkeeping shenanigans (which could be bad) or "something else." If it's something else, it's another non-event. (a) is completely a non-event. I think the Rogan interview may provide a positive sentiment in the long term. Today is just financial news fodder, but there's nothing of long term significance there. All-in-all, glad to have filled order at 260.

If anyone actually watched the podcast, Elon came across passionate for the environment, our future, and the products he makesand pleading for fellow human beings to control artificial intelligence

99.9% of the interview was interesting, intelligent, and "of course you'd invest in this guy"

00.1% of it is what is being reported.

Terms of Service Violation

Can someone tell me what this (TOSV) means? It is a link to a Bloomberg article.

When you just post a link to the Bloomberg article, the software chases the link (to put in the page title) and Bloomberg notices it came from somewhere else, and replaces the title with what you see. Instead, just type some explanatory text like this, select the text, press the hyperlink button (chain-like icon right of the font button) and paste the URL in there instead. Alternatively, cut-and-paste the actual title, then do those actions, like:
Tesla Fills Chief Accounting Officer Void With Seagate's CFO

ok,
i thought the pedo thing and the going private situation was much more disruptive, and handled much more poorly than this interview.
(i’m not political, i’m not in favor of drugs, etc etc i’m mostly a normal straight shooter with a disdain for bullshit and unnecessary risk)

it was over 2.5 hours, of course he’s not going to be chipper and balls to wall for that long. he was candid, real, and informative, as always. the weed hit thing was a joke, it’s quite clear he doesn’t do that drug. it shouldn’t be taken as anything more than a skit-like act of comedy.

as far as morton leaving, i’m assuming due to not going private. and the HR person doesn’t really matter, nor is it surprising, since they’ve had some human relations issues, and someone’s head was bound to roll (assuming they’re trying to remedy some of those situations).

this fear is MANUFACTURED by the shitty media that we are forcefed over and over again. musk headlines are a gravy train for them, and they get paid (ads) to run the smear from the usual suspects, of course, so win win!!
while some understand this, others erupt. relax.
(the bullshit part)

now - does elon give them ammo? yes (the unnecessary risk part) ...for the last six months or so. i don’t necessarily like this, and have expressed my anger in the past (with some disagrees).. and my acct value has dropped as precipitously or more than most of yours over the last month...(options will do that to you).

but this?? this is nothing. it was quintessential elon, albeit a little more somber in mood. watch the entire podcast

the street needs this stock to take a complete sh!t so that they can reverse their stance and drive it up on the real news....which, for anyone paying attention, is that tesla is kicking everyone’s ass in the marketplace right now...and it’s only just begun. it will be a sustained year or so of this (as fast as they can ramp and deliver) at least.

this is the real story.

Status
Not open for further replies.