Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This news is crazy ugly. I returned to see how this forum would be responding to the news tonight. All the comments regarding "loading up in the morning" are pure B.S. Look out for yourself gang. Not saying its going to zero, but the groupthink on here may end up deadly. They will be holding your hand telling you to buy at $50.00 too. Good luck to all!

BTW., in case anyone has any doubts about the SEC's purpose here, here's how the SEC writes gushingly about short 'investors':

https://cdn.pacermonitor.com/pdfser..._Exchange_v_Musk__nysdce-18-08865__0001.0.pdf

"In 2018, stock analysts and investors increasingly began to question whether Tesla could meet its previously announced production targets and begin to earn sufficient cash in order to sustain its operations and pay its existing debt load. By August 2018, more than $13 billion worth of Tesla shares were being “shorted,” meaning they were sold by investors who did not own them at the time of the sale. Investors who sell stock short typically believe the price of the stock will fall and hope to buy the stock at the lower price to cover their short positions and earn a profit. If the price of the stock rises, short sellers who then exit their short positions by purchasing the stock at the higher price will incur losses"​

So shorts are apparently investor who did not own the stock 'at that time'. Good to know!

So is it the SEC's position that it's now the fiduciary duty of Tesla board members to hurt the company, to help these short 'investors'?
Board members do not have a fiduciary duty to shorts, but all directors and officers of public company have a statutory duty to speak truthfully and not recklessly.

Reactions: theschnell
Here is the response from Elon:

Elon Musk calls SEC fraud lawsuit 'unjustified,' says he acted in best interests of investors

"This unjustified action by the SEC leaves me deeply saddened and disappointed," Musk said in a statement to CNBC. "I have always taken action in the best interests of truth, transparency and investors. Integrity is the most important value in my life and the facts will show I never compromised this in any way."

Thanks for the link. It sounds like Elon’s first impulse is to fight. IMHO, the better outcome would be a negotiated settlement where he steps down as a director, stays as CEO, pays a $20M fine, and promises to, in the future, relay important information like this in an 8K filing. This is better because it would be over quickly. But it all depends on the SEC and Elon’s willingness to compromise.

This news is crazy ugly. I returned to see how this forum would be responding to the news tonight. All the comments regarding "loading up in the morning" are pure B.S. Look out for yourself gang. Not saying its going to zero, but the groupthink on here may end up deadly. They will be holding your hand telling you to buy at $50.00 too. Good luck to all!

I think this is nonsense - the news tonight has zero impact on near term Tesla company fundamentals.

Wow... for me the question right now is, how many tens of thousands of dollars to buy tomorrow...
This is THE question. I've only bought a few shares & calls till now through all this turmoil. Is this the time to invest big ?

My plan was to buy before Monday's deliveries - but the SP ran up quite a bit yesterday.

But this is going to be circus - with a lot of know-nothings pontificating about what will happen with the case - and several potential 10% drops (and spikes) possible in the future.

I wonder whether Bloomberg/SEC sort of tried to bury this news on Kavanaugh hearing day.

If Elon hadn’t been CEO the last year, I very much doubt Tesla would be producing as many Model 3s as they are today. No one else that I can think of would have pushed this large company as fast as Elon did. Make no mistake, Elon is critical is to the future success of Tesla. Oh sure, Tesla can survive without Elon, but not thrive, and certainly not support a $300 per share price.

Do you think there would have been much difference in company performance if Musk was in a non-executive “product shepherd” role with Deepak as CEO instead?

There is nothing stopping Elon from remaining the public face of Tesla (Except on earning calls) in a limited time non-executive role, still overseeing product and operational details etc

Board members do not have a fiduciary duty to shorts,

I'm glad we cleared that up: they have fiduciary duty to shareholders, and when shorts gain, shareholders lose; when shorts lose, shareholders gain.

So as per mathematical necessity the Tesla board has a fiduciary duty to help shareholders, which, inversely, is hurting shorts.

The countless quotes in the SEC's complaint about shorts are showing a basic misunderstanding of this fundamental inverse relationship. Elon fought against shorts because shorts were hurting shareholders and protecting shareholders from shorts and other harms is his job.

but all directors and officers of public company have a statutory duty to speak truthfully

Which Elon did, but clearly that duty to speak truthfully does not extend to you.

///////////////////////
I.
Finding that Defendant violated the provisions of the federal securities laws as alleged herein;
II.
Permanently restraining and enjoining Defendant from, directly or indirectly, engaging in conduct in violation of Section 10(b) of the Exchange Act [15 U.S.C. § 78j(b)] and Rule 10b-5 thereunder [17 C.F.R. § 240.10b-5];
III.
Ordering Defendant to disgorge, with prejudgment interest, any ill-gotten gains received as a result of the violations alleged herein;
IV.
Ordering Defendant to pay civil penalties pursuant to Section 21(d)(3) of the Exchange Act [

15 U.S.C. § 78u(d)(3)];

V.
Ordering that Defendant be prohibited from acting as an officer or director of any issuer that has a class of securities registered pursuant to Section 12 of the Exchange Act [
15 U.S.C. § 78l] or that is required to file reports pursuant to Section 15(d) of the Exchange Act [15 U.S./////////////

OK, fairly certain Musk has not gorged on any ill-gotten gains, as he would have to sell stock to have done this, and I know that EVERYONE would know if he sold stock, so he did not. The SEC mus know this as well, so I am guessing # 2 is boilerplate?

Can anyone clarify what the civil penalties could add up to?

Is this something that will be resolved in six months? A year? Several years? If Elon could stay on for another three years, for example, then this really means nothing and Tesla is OK. If he is thrown out in six months then this is problematic.

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
I wonder whether Bloomberg/SEC sort of tried to bury this news on Kavanaugh hearing day.

They wanted to bury any political blow-back against this obvious hatchet job of a lawsuit against one of the most innovative companies of America - but they knew what the market reaction would be, which appears to be their main interest.

From the press conference it seemed that the SEC was saying that removal as CEO was NOT in the cards unless that's what the board/shareholders want. As upset as I've been with his irresponsible tweeting I would not want him removed. Hoping that I'm understanding that correctly.

No, that’s not what they said. The question was whether Elon could remain as CEO until a court judgement. The answer was yes, but if the court can order him barred from being CEO.

Looks like the maximum civil penalties under Section 21(d)(3) are either $100,000 (as Musk is a natural person, being an actual human being) or the gross pecuniary gain (which is $0 AFAIK?), whichever is greater: 15 U.S. Code § 78u - Investigations and actions

...I'm actually not sure they can ask for both disgorging the gains and Section 21(d)(3) penalties, as that's already covered in Section 21(d)(3) if I understand it correctly?

Edit: Oh, I think I get it - disgorging the gains is restitution, the maximum penalties are set by the gains (so therefore a bigger penalty is available for a bigger crime). But when there's no gains...

Last edited:
Is this something that will be resolved in six months? A year? Several years?

This depends on the parties: any of the two parties could drag this lawsuit out almost indefinitely - the average civil litigation in the U.S. is over 25 months, without appeals, but complex civil litigation with well-funded parties can take a lot longer - if that is the intent.

The civil suit Fairfax started against the NY short hedge funds at around 2006 (Chanos was a party to that lawsuit too) was decided in 2012 in the first instance (6 years), but appeals are still ongoing (!) and part of the case apparently goes back on trial. So 12 years and counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.