Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of truck owners who don't support Trump, don't have oversize mud tires, don't roll coal, and who are interested in technology.

A bit off topic, you might be surprised. Many of my friends turned out to be Trump followers... after knowing them for decades. Spun my head! When I was in college, everyone (I thought) smoked weed and was not religious. Fact is, that's all I knew and boy was I wrong! My perspective was heavily skewed with assumptions. I bet you'd be shocked if you asked these people who they're voting for in the parking lot.

I really gotta get outta Arizona! Canada is looking better everyday, AND it's my home country. I'm still very long on $TSLA and that will fund my lakefront property someday. I'll post pics when I get there, while thanking all those shorts who supported my retirement. Sold my last option today, just holding about 2/3 $TSLA in my IRA for the next 5-10 years and coasting a long long way.

I sold a hundred @340, was planning to buy back tomorrow during MMD -- just a daily play to have some fun (my core shares are kept safe), never thought it would dip today, so I missed this opportunity... Just came back from lunch and its already recovered. Oh well, I hope the shorts bring me a good MMD tomorrow...
You didn't happen to have BREAD with lunch, did you? :eek:

Shorts and PR network are defending the bond conversion point. If Tsla goes past it and sustains, squeeze gains higher probability.

The question is, what cash on hand impact would be implied if bonds (2019) coming due convert over to shares?

Tesla can also just choose to settle those in cash, regardless, right? After the Q3 results, I’m not sure what keeping the stock price low would do for shorts anyway, in that regard. It’s clear Tesla has the money to cover it. If anything, it may be better for them to cover now, try to drive the SP higher, hope Elon will pay the full rate anyway out of pride, and then short back in, hoping that large payment drives their EPS negative again.

Ahaha, not quite. His response to my comment on Aug 16 showed the mis-information he's been fed by the main-stream financial media. He didn't even know that Tesla has offered to open the Supercharger Network to competitors:

View attachment 348050

Robert Bollinger > Artful Dodger2 months ago

"They aren't open to other brands sharing their network as far as I know. I'll try tweeting Elon and see if he responds!"

This is a fine example of the type of Propagada War we are fighting here on TMC. Proud to be part of the Fight for Green.

Cheers!

I saw that response.

And they aren't necessarily contradictory.

He doesn't think Tesla is open to sharing but would do so in a heartbeat if it were available to Bollinger Motors.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Netflix is starting to look more like a good buy ATM

I'm trying to diversify a bit myself and sales are everywhere. Netflix had a good Q3 but Q4 was projected low, then next year way up... any clue what's happening there?

FYI, my goto now for movies is Netflix through Direct TV. Movies are so cheap at about 2-3 a month for us. Great content!

I don't understand the fixation on the bond conversion point ($360). If Tesla wanted to pay off those bonds in stock rather than cash but the share price was lower than the $360 conversion price they aren't screwed because they could simply do a capital raise at whatever price it's at and use those funds to pay off the bonds.

If the share price is at $360 and the $920 mil bonds convert to shares, that's 2.55 million new shares of ownership dilution.

But if the share price languishes at $335 Tesla, could simply sell 2.75 million new shares at that price to raise the $920 million and pay off the bonds. So we're talking about a difference of 200,000 shares in dilution - hardly a big deal - Tesla issues more shares than that in stock based compensation all the time.

Arguably worse would be if the share price goes higher than $360 because then the bond holders would be getting ownership in the company for below market rates.

So the best scenario with regards to these bonds, is that the share price sits at about $360 until the bonds convert. A little lower is fine but adds the hassle of an elective rather than automatic capitol raise. A little higher hands out ownership in the company for below market value.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: X Fan and Tslynk67
I don't understand the fixation on the bond conversion point ($360). If Tesla wanted to pay off those bonds in stock rather than cash but the share price was lower than the $360 conversion price they aren't screwed because they could simply do a capital raise at whatever price it's at and use those funds to pay off the bonds.

If the share price is at $360 and the $920 mil bonds convert to shares, that's 2.55 million new shares of ownership dilution.

But if the share price languishes at $335 Tesla, could simply sell 2.75 million new shares at that price to raise the $920 million and pay off the bonds. So we're talking about a difference of 200,000 shares in dilution - hardly a big deal - Tesla issues more shares than that in stock based compensation all the time.

Arguably worse would be if the share price goes higher than $360 because then the bond holders would be getting ownership in the company for below market rates.

So the best scenario with regards to these bonds, is that the share price sits at about $360 until the bonds convert. A little lower is fine but adds the hassle of an elective rather than automatic capitol raise. A little higher hands out ownership in the company for below market value.

They're going to pay the bonds off in cash, and said so

I thought I heard Elon specifically say with emphasis that these bonds will be paid off in cash. So all this other stuff is moot.

Fire Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.