Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this cautionary thought over the weekend as I went door to door asking people to vote.

Last week I stated that the big 3 couldn't possibly make margins because of Tesla's lead in technology (efficiency and battery costs). Now I look at those Ford Truck commercials and have trouble seeing these Trump supporters (classic Truck owner profile) switching to electric based on research with political preferences and lifestyles (a new book reference here eludes me).

The source pool for people to switch to EV cars was huge and represented a more even distribution of political views (compared to trucks owners). As a result, this demographic is going to take some time and they will resist. They love their macho mufflers and loud noise as it feeds their ego. Not sure an EV truck will do the same and some might be ridiculed for switching over at the next tailgate party. I doubt we'll get the 400K reservations like we did with the Model 3 but it will take a bite out of the market and will eventually shift over the years.

Thoughts?

My usual response to them is this:

You don't have to worry about EVs, because the more EVs there are on the road just means there'll be that much more of the remaining gas/fuel left for you. Usual reponse I get is crickets ;^)

Thanks for GOTV!

I'll be incredibly disappointed if it's nothing more than an urban cruiser. And I really doubt that's what they're going to make.

I will attempt to make this my last comment on the Tesla pick-up as this is the market action thread and all this discussion should be moved to the Tesla pick-up thread. Musk has indicated that the pick-up he envisions would have special load balancing characteristics that tend not to be well handled with today's pick-ups. So, yes, I would say at least Musk plans to make something more than an urban cruiser.

Tesla's 'deepening' FBI inquiry will be a hard case for investigators to prove, Wall Street analyst says

"We think it will be difficult for prosecutors to prove criminal wrongdoing," Ben Kallo, an analyst at Baird, said in a note to clients as reported by Bloomberg. Kallo, who has a bullish $411 price target for the stock, added that "investigators would need to find evidence TSLA made projections it knew would be impossible to achieve, which we believe is a high bar to meet."

Kallo also said that the article "largely recycled previously reported information" and that Baird found "certain aspects of the article suspect."

Since some here may not read every post, especially those over the weekend, please allow me to educate ALL about the importance of staying on topic since this thread often strays into off topic discussions.

To that end, I'll quote here from the powers that be on said importance:

The courtesy of moving your more gossipy posts to the relevant thread has become too cumbersome for the limited time of moderaters with talent. Thus the burden will fall on my crude methods. Any further mention of Fred bashing, comparison to Musk, etc., shall fall prey to the brutal ax at my disposal—deletion. The system has changed since I was made a mod earlier. Now local mods can ban temporarily. Repeat offenders will suffer that fate and, of course, my favorite infraction—direct attack on a member. I haven't the time to put you in "moderation," a less drastic penalty where peoples' posts are approved before publication.

As many say of these fractious times we need a return to civility and that means the self-restraint of ordinary citizens. Rob Stark could do this. Think of the famous Uncle Sam poster during the war: "That means you."

Alternatively, "Loose lips sink threads."

MOD:
Do what the Prof says....or else. We're serious.

:mad:MOD:mad:

TAKE THE POLITICAL TO THE POLITICAL THREAD. Utter Final Warning.

Tesla should do great in the southwest where a lot of people tow heavy trailers and toy haulers every weekend, once word gets out it will out haul their current vehicle.. These are the people with $$

Attachments

• 484688_538510696173228_395475270_n.jpg
    484688_538510696173228_395475270_n.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 116_img_4655.jpg
    116_img_4655.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 57
  • post-112655-0-72678100-1382391394.jpg
    post-112655-0-72678100-1382391394.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 56
believe it or not, we're between two strong resistance levels.. 332, and 345$. We'll probably play here a while. Don't get me started about 355$.
I don't think the resistance levels stay the same - I expect people to have moved their limits. They have had a bit of time to do that. Its beyond me why anyone would want to sell stock at 345 now. I can understand some people wanting to buy on dips at 332.

ps : i.e. Anyone who is not a day trader though I don't understand why there are day traders buying/selling stock instead of options.

Oh thank God. Went out to buy bread, we at $342, come back 30 min later, we at $332.

Immediately thought "Tsunami hits Western USA" or "Elon tweeted".

So, who sold earlier and bought back now in at $332? :D

Cheers to the Longs!

I sold a hundred @340, was planning to buy back tomorrow during MMD -- just a daily play to have some fun (my core shares are kept safe), never thought it would dip today, so I missed this opportunity... Just came back from lunch and its already recovered. Oh well, I hope the shorts bring me a good MMD tomorrow...

I don't think the resistance levels stay the same - I expect people to have moved their limits. They have had a bit of time to do that. Its beyond me why anyone would want to sell stock at 345 now. I can understand some people wanting to buy on dips at 332.

ps : i.e. Anyone who is not a day trader though I don't understand why there are day traders buying/selling stock instead of options.
technically speaking, that's not really how resistance works. TODAY could change this a bit since we're up to and floating around at another level here 344$, so it could move up or the next target 355$ could now come into play. But, if we close back in the 33x$ range today, we'll have rejected 344$ another time which increases that levels strength and volume.

No question, this morning was a good open and relative performance - I'm not calling it strength yet - is another positive sign

330/331 is now a pretty nice level of SUPPORT, so thats another positive. not a lot between that an 309 though, then there are some 303/301 levels, then hope for sure it doesn't get back under 300$.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
I think your perception of truck owners is a little oversimplified. I still own a full size truck only because Tesla doesn't make a pickup yet and sometimes I need to tow/haul things. There are lots of truck owners who don't support Trump, don't have oversize mud tires, don't roll coal, and who are interested in technology. Tesla doesn't have to use the concept of climate change to sell trucks. Want a truck that's 100% made in America, doesn't run on foreign oil, doesn't need oil changes, has a front trunk, gets software updates over the air, can power your 120v/240 tools without a generator? It can even fit in to your off-grid solar / disaster prepper lifestyle if you're into that. Imagine that Super Bowl commercial.

My workplace is pretty conservative and about half the people drive pickup trucks. Everyone still wants to check out the Tesla in the parking lot.

Just saying, it's a statistical thing.

"If there are more pickup trucks in a neighborhood, there is an 82-percent chance it voted Republican, according to an algorithm developed by Stanford researchers."

To my point, the conversion might not be as quick as the M3. Myself, next one's the Y or the Truck because I hate my Murano dog SUV now (thanks Tesla). I want a utility vehicle period as I still fix and build my own stuff. Towing a boat or camper is also a pleasure. So I'm in the 18% that wants a truck because it serves purpose rather than ego, and so are you and your colleagues perhaps.

Resistance, show me where ?! It looks like Falcon 9 to me.... but maybe at $360

Tesla d TMC-2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.