Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies to the tweet suggest everyone is equally confused. How could the pick-up come to market ahead of the Semi?
Well maybe very easily. They have a lot more production capability now than a year ago, much much more than 2 years ago. Using flippant language about doing a Mercedes van collab also makes it seem like they're living in a new paradigm now where certain products can be brought to market much more easily than before. I mean... They do print money now. Not really farfetched

1. Nov 15
    Short interest numbers are pretty far off what S3 shared last week. Any insights to what caused the discrepancies?

1 reply0 retweets1 like

2. Nov 16
    Also, which is more accurate? On 11/01 S3 posted “short interest is $10.85 bn, 32.16 mm shares shorted” while Nasdaq says short interest on 10/31 was about 29.9 Million shares.

5h5 hours ago
Nasdaq will be most accurate point in time twice a month with a big delay. S3 is forecasting total real time SI based on activity within their view. My assumption is that a heavyweight player in the $TSLA short game made big moves and threw off the forecast.

8m8 minutes ago
Ihor Dusaniwsky Retweeted Robert Bush

Pretty much spot on, and the activity was probably covered with internal Prime Broker stock loan supply which makes it even more invisible to us.

We may hear soon another or more short outing himself in the press that he/they pulled back from the position. Erosion will continue in particular if its as assumed a larger player who covered over the days.

Beside other factors this is one who gave Tesla the strength over the exceptional weak market we are in.

Also I do not hear that much FUD any more in orchestration with larger short selling. So it sounds like some do exit and do not trigger the media any more. Thats good news.

10m10 minutes ago
Ihor Dusaniwsky Retweeted John D.

We are seeing gradual buy-to-covers in $TSLA shorts, not a short squeeze, and there is still a large amount of short exposure in the stock but some short sellers are trimming their positions.

Last edited:
I like the priority order Elon listed. What he mentioned is the product order. Above all of them, the highest internal priority probably is FSD.

Model Y will be high demand high margin. So definitely top on the product list.
SolarRoof is very close to mass production, so give it high priority to get it out of the door.
Pickup truck - huge market. Can replace a lot of gasoline/diesel consumption.
Although Semi and Roadster get lower priority, I think they will come to the market in 2020.

I can see Tesla soon will need 10 Gigafactories. After Model 3 and Model Y reach stable production, the cash flow should allow Tesla to add two Gigafactories per year. The next few years will be very exciting.

My investment approach is still the same: buy enough whenever there is a big pullback so I don't have to chase after a rally. Meanwhile I continue to save cash to add more shares in the future.

Several reasons I place semi in front:
Sales price of semi is worth 2 -3 Ys. Probably with a comparable gross margin.
Demand will not be a problem in my lifetime. Tesla can easily sell what they make.
Elimination of all those diesels? I can hardly wait.
Semi will take longer to produce and Y's will produce more revenue and more cash flow quicker, so you have to go w/ Y's first.

Reactions: Carl Raymond
Tom Randall on Twitter

Has the pickup timeline been accelerated? Everything else on this list is supposed to be in production in 2019 or 2020.

Elon Musk on Twitter

What really matters is time to volume production, not initial market intro. Apart from brief moments, Tesla vehicle production is limited by total battery output.

Fred Lambert on Twitter

Are we to understand that this list is in order?

Elon Musk on Twitter

In order of resource priority, but not necessarily production ramp, as that depends on thousands of parts & processes, which are extremely difficult to forecast

Scott Robertson on Twitter

Won't it end up the same as roadster 1.0 though? You essentially have to change every single part of it.

Elon Musk on Twitter

No, it’s got enough load capacity & volume to carry the battery pack & our current pack energy density is about double that of original Roadster. Still, it would probably only save about 30% to 40% of effort, all things considered.

1. Nov 15
    Short interest numbers are pretty far off what S3 shared last week. Any insights to what caused the discrepancies?

1 reply0 retweets1 like

2. Nov 16
    Also, which is more accurate? On 11/01 S3 posted “short interest is $10.85 bn, 32.16 mm shares shorted” while Nasdaq says short interest on 10/31 was about 29.9 Million shares.

5h5 hours ago
Nasdaq will be most accurate point in time twice a month with a big delay. S3 is forecasting total real time SI based on activity within their view. My assumption is that a heavyweight player in the $TSLA short game made big moves and threw off the forecast.

8m8 minutes ago
Ihor Dusaniwsky Retweeted Robert Bush

Pretty much spot on, and the activity was probably covered with internal Prime Broker stock loan supply which makes it even more invisible to us.

We may hear soon another or more short outing himself in the press that he/they pulled back from the position. Erosion will continue in particular if its as assumed a larger player who covered over the days.

Beside other factors this is one who gave Tesla the strength over the exceptional weak market we are in.

Also I do not hear that much FUD any more in orchestration with larger short selling. So it sounds like some do exit and do not trigger the media any more. Thats good news.

10m10 minutes ago
Ihor Dusaniwsky Retweeted John D.

We are seeing gradual buy-to-covers in $TSLA shorts, not a short squeeze, and there is still a large amount of short exposure in the stock but some short sellers are trimming their positions.

Investors who put their money into FANG stocks generally understand the growth story. Recently we are seeing a massive drop in FANG stocks, moving that sector into bear territory. I believe a small portion of money moving out of FANG are now moving into Tesla, the new growth kid in town.

Elon Musk on Twitter

It looks like we're constrained by battery output.

I'd love to see the Tesla Semi out first. It can probably save the most CO2 per kWh.

But when they are battery constrained bringing out the Semi first is not the best move. Tesla needs to make money to grow and 8 Model Y’s or 5 Pickups will bring in more profits than 1 Semi.

Last edited:
But when they are battery constrained bringing out the Semi first is not the best move. Tesla needs to make money to grow and 8 Model Y’s or 5 x Pickups will bring in more profits than 1 Semi.
I think that's a false equivalency. 1 semi probably uses about as much battery as 3 Y's or 2 pickups. And margins are probably excellent for semi. Plus literal visibility of semi is a non-negligible factor.

I’m no options expert, but is there any other way to sell covered calls than being simultaneously long? I have done both to a limited extent — long with shares believing in the long-term story, and short-term SCC to play phases with likelihood of price decline/stagnation. Can pick up $2k-$3k a shot doing this. Did not SCC on 100% of shares at any one time since miscalculations can happen.

I think that's a false equivalency. 1 semi probably uses about as much battery as 3 Y's or 2 pickups. And margins are probably excellent for semi. Plus literal visibility of semi is a non-negligible factor.

Actually a Semi probably uses as many batteries as 5-10 Model Ys. (Depending on if short or long range.)

Actually a Semi probably uses as many batteries as 5-10 Model Ys. (Depending on if short or long range.)

tenor.gif

Strong doubt
I could see up to 5 MAYBE

tenor.gif

Strong doubt
I could see up to 5 MAYBE

They rate the Semi at <2kWh/mile and a range of 500 miles. That means the battery could be as big as 1,000kWh. (Or 13.3 times the size of the 75kWh Model 3 LR battery.)

Elon has hinted that they have improved things since they announced it, but I don't know if that means they will go for a smaller battery pack or longer range. (or maybe both and have three range variants.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.