Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry waaay OT, its the WE after all.

"There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication and keeping communication good as we grow is incredibly important.
Individually, a few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees. No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don’t want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees."

"There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication and keeping communication good as we grow is incredibly important.
Individually, a few acronyms here and there may not seem so bad, but if a thousand people are making these up, over time the result will be a huge glossary that we have to issue to new employees. No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don’t want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees."

Yup, WYSIWYG is one of my faves too.

Um... I did. Wish there was an easier way to search through this forum for all posts from a specific individual, because I made several public posts on this. I can in short order find a PM conversation with Bobo (who can confirm this), where I responded, when he asked me of my price targets:

To be more specific: Apart from reducing some overexposure shortly after the Q3 report (I really exposed myself on those ~$250 prices, they were just too tempting!), I set sell points at ~$346, ~$354, and ~$362. (the ~$346 had already gone off before Bobo's message). After noticing how Tesla seemed to be functioning as a hedge against the macros, I boosted my buy targets from mid-$320s to around $330.

How did I arrive at this? Simple. Once the Q3 report had been priced in, there's been relatively little news expected in the pipeline that would alter the fundamentals. Just random positive and negative news. So once you feel you have a handle on the average that prices are going to be fluctuating around, and a handle on how intense the volatility will be around that average, you should buy the lows and sell the highs. You then look at how much time is left before you expect any news that will have a long-term impact on the moving average to get a sense of the likelihood of hitting particular highs or lows.

Note in my sig: "Hooray for volatility!" :)

Full disclaimer: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. :) Also, I expect a lot more "timing-unpredictable" news in Q1.
Karen, It is great that you are able to time TSLA. Well done.
For every Karen, there will be 10X that amount of Retail swing traders that will lose money on TSLA (or not generate as much profit as buy-and-hold strategy), as it travels to Mars.

The SpaceX orientation video includes the line, "We have a 'no acronym policy, or NAP"

Karen, It is great that you are able to time TSLA. Well done.
For every Karen, there will be 10X that amount of Retail swing traders that will lose money on TSLA (or not generate as much profit as buy-and-hold strategy), as it travels to Mars.

Stocks don't move on magic; they move on news. What news exactly were you expecting during this timeperiod that was going to send the stock to Mars?

Yes, there can be a time delay between when news occurs and sentiment sets in. There certainly was one with the Q3 report. But how long exactly were you thinking it would take for people to come to grips with the implication of the report?

My thesis from the beginning has been that one profitable quarter would help, but it would take two or more to really kick the TSLAQ hypothesis to the curb, as doubters would just insist that the first profitable quarter was just a one-time engineered stunt. Don't you think that this thesis has been upheld thusfar?

To reiterate: past performance does not indicate future returns. Don't take my theses and performance as gospel; do your own research and come to your own conclusions. :)

Um... I did. Wish there was an easier way to search through this forum for all posts from a specific individual, because I made several public posts on this. I can in short order find a PM conversation with Bobo (who can confirm this), where I responded, when he asked me of my price targets:

To be more specific: Apart from reducing some overexposure shortly after the Q3 report (I really exposed myself on those ~$250 prices, they were just too tempting!), I set sell points at ~$346, ~$354, and ~$362. (the ~$346 had already gone off before Bobo's message). After noticing how Tesla seemed to be functioning as a hedge against the macros, I boosted my buy targets from mid-$320s to around $330.

Can’t you just use the search function above and type in the username of the user whoose posts your trying to find?

I do it all the time

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Can’t you just use the search function above and type in the username of the user whoose posts your trying to find?

I do it all the time
You said that out loud....to everyone...

Err apologies to all - I didn't mean to say those things about you / country / level of TSLA bullishness...

It's Brexit you see. Not getting much sleep - Ambien and S'mores really don't mix. Elon's fault really...

I think it's advertisement for Tesla. They have the best EVs, and the comparison shows it.

This. Bring in people who dismiss EV’s because they don’t like Tesla by getting them to look at a list of other ones. Through that, they find that: “oh, wow, Tesla’s actually beat the snot out of everything else” and convince themselves to buy one.

I believe investors reading this forum represent a significant percentage of all tsla investors in terms of total value of investment. I created this survey hoping to get a rough idea about the size of our investment collectively - I think information like this will be beneficial in making this forum a better place for tsla investors. The survey is completely anonymous.

Survey link: TMC tsla investor survey

I will share the result link shortly.

Edit: result link: TMC tsla investor survey

Last edited:
I believe investors reading this forum represent a significant percentage of all tsla investors in terms of total value of investment. I created this survey hoping to get a rough idea about the size of our investment collectively - I think information like this will be beneficial in making this forum a better place for tsla investors. The survey is completely anonymous.

Survey link: TMC tsla investor survey

I will share the result link shortly.

Your age range question has overlap at the round numbers. More accurate to have 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Status
Not open for further replies.