Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan for today (NOT advice): I have my core shares and added Sept 300 puts about 7-10 days ago for protection. Sitting on a good cash level.

I expect a +/- 2% move during regular trading hours followed by a dip when the ER is released (after hours) then a bit of a rebound during/after the CC. *IF* we get a 7-10% dip between the ER and CC I will add 'trading shares' after hours expecting we have now gone sub $300 and will get a bit of a boost from the CC.

*Traders/bots* will be out in force today. We could get a 3% spike up today just to see a 'sell the news' just before close to take profit.

This certainly could be a flawed strategy but I am looking for a sub $300 entry point for some trading shares.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I enjoy reading these expert opinions on how to limit your upsides (seems like your all pros at that). reminds me of posts bragging of selling shares when sp reached 40. In my opinion, if you need "insurance" than you are too risk adverse to be in options. You could exit your position if your concerned about the event to come rather than driving with one foot on accelerator and the other on the brake

I enjoy reading these expert opinions on how to limit your upsides (seems like your all pros at that). reminds me of posts bragging of selling shares when sp reached 40. In my opinion, if you need "insurance" than you are too risk adverse to be in options. You could exit your position if your concerned about the event to come rather than driving with one foot on accelerator and the other on the brake
Personally speaking, I do not brag. I'm just sharing my experience thus far. I'm a total novice, but it doesn't take an expert to understand basic options trading. Go back 6 months and you'll see how I thought one might need margin to rollover a covered call. I'm super bullish TSLA long term. This has nothing to do with trying to take advantage of short term volatility. If I was just a buy and hold investor only, I would have no reason to ever be on this thread.

I think comments like your's discourage people from posting their trading actions/strategies at the risk of being "reprimanded" by others. "Oh wow, member from 2013, he/she really must know his/her stuff." If the SP would have dropped, those with "insurance" puts would have been hailed as "wise and almighty." I mean no disrespect. If you feel like I have, my apologies.

This proved very very true for me with this last surprise earnings. Not a great idea to try to get so tricky. Just as you said, if not comfortable with the level of leverage, reduce it. Keep things as simple as possible but no simpler. Just one more lesson to add to the list of many I have received over the last year trading options!

Personally speaking, I do not brag. I'm just sharing my experience thus far. I'm a total novice, but it doesn't take an expert to understand basic options trading. Go back 6 months and you'll see how I thought one might need margin to rollover a covered call. I'm super bullish TSLA long term. This has nothing to do with trying to take advantage of short term volatility. If I was just a buy and hold investor only, I would have no reason to ever be on this thread.

I think comments like your's discourage people from posting their trading actions/strategies at the risk of being "reprimanded" by others. "Oh wow, member from 2013, he/she really must know his/her stuff." If the SP would have dropped, those with "insurance" puts would have been hailed as "wise and almighty." I mean no disrespect. If you feel like I have, my apologies.
Don't be silly. Been trading options for last six years. We all have regrets about some trades done or not done. I never understand the insurance strategy. The best strategy to adhere to is to either lighten your position add to it or sell. If the stock dropped with the report, your best strategy would not have been buying puts but liqidating your position. If your aiming for average returns just trade the stock and stay out of options. Having said this I do not believe you should take my advise or anyone else's. I did not mean to hurt your feelings which is why I have avoided posting. You should allow yourself to hear other strategies.

Don't be silly. Been trading options for last six years. We all have regrets about some trades done or not done. I never understand the insurance strategy. The best strategy to adhere to is to either lighten your position add to it or sell. If the stock dropped with the report, your best strategy would not have been buying puts but liqidating your position. If your aiming for average returns just trade the stock and stay out of options. Having said this I do not believe you should take my advise or anyone else's. I did not mean to hurt your feelings which is why I have avoided posting. You should allow yourself to hear other strategies.

Totally agree with most of what you said. Especially the "allow yourself to hear other strategies" part. Feelings weren't hurt. I will keep posting regardless because I enjoy this community. Just constructive feedback on how your post might have been perceived by others.

Reactions: MXWing

You are buying puts before the stock drops.

Totally agree with most of what you said. Especially the "allow yourself to hear other strategies" part. Feelings weren't hurt. I will keep posting regardless because I enjoy this community. Just constructive feedback on how your post might have been perceived by others.

Please keep posting. We are all in a process of trying to learn from each other here.