Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TTAC: Tesla Born! Birth Watch Over! (begins Death Watch)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stance TTAC has taken towards Tesla has always been overwhelmingly negative. They were annoyed to have to give Tesla any credit. I don't understand why they seem to want Tesla to fail. At any rate, I'm staying optimistic that Tesla can get their act together, and sincerely hope they succeed.

Last edited:
The stance TTAC has taken towards Tesla has always been overwhelmingly negative. They were annoyed to have to give Tesla any credit. I don't understand why they seem to want Tesla to fail. At any rate, I'm staying optimistic that Tesla can get their act together, and sincerely hope they succeed.
Doug,

I also want to see TM succeed, but I don't think that they can with their current executive structure. Things have been going downhill since Martin was ousted...

All the best,

Chris H.

Doug,

I also want to see TM succeed, but I don't think that they can with their current executive structure. Things have been going downhill since Martin was ousted...

All the best,

Chris H.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, the petty and spitefull way Tesla is now handling Martins car is not good for they customer service reputation. Not to mention very unprofessional. BUT companies with horrendous customer service has been known to thrive and be very successfull. The Roadster IS an excellent product, not the least thanks to Martin's vision. That means currently Tesla can demand customers firstborn child for ritual sacrifice and STILL get plenty of takers...

The question that is important for Teslas future is the Whitestar. If the Whitestar is a good product Tesla will survive and grow. If not Tesla will survive based on the Roadster and become a niche manufacturer like there already is plenty of.

When it comes to TTAC, I can't read them from Europe now, seems to be routing problems, but they have always hated Tesla. Probably because someone is making a desirable sports car that is not something they know anything about, and it threatens their feeling of superiority.

Cobos

When it comes to TTAC, I can't read them from Europe now, seems to be routing problems, but they have always hated Tesla. Probably because someone is making a desirable sports car that is not something they know anything about, and it threatens their feeling of superiority.

Well, I think the real issue with TTAC is that they wanted to be contrarian. At a time when ALL of Tesla's press was gushing and overwhelmingly positive, TTAC wanted to be the only skeptical voice. That's fine, the only problem is that they were unreasonably negative. So instead of being fair and reasonably skeptical. They've been unmistakably negatively biased. But who knows, maybe they're like this about all car companies. I've only managed to read their Tesla coverage. Which, though negative, is pretty darned entertaining.

I've been having issues connecting with their site as well, but I still have the article up, so I'll quote it here, in it's entirety.

Tesla Birth Watch 48: Done.

By Frank Williams
May 15, 2008 - 507 Views

tesla2.jpgWhen we started the Tesla Birth Watch last August, we said "we'll be following this developing story as it develops." Then, in January, we stated "we're obliged to quit carping under this title when one- count it ONE- Roadster enters its owner's climate-controlled garage." Well, it's happened. After several false starts, revised delivery dates and lots of PR tap dancing, the first Tesla is in the hands of a paying customer. (We know Tesla CEO Elon Musk got his Roadster three months ago, and supposedly paid full price for the honor, but we don't see that as a "real" delivery.) According to Tesla Comms Veep Darryl Siry, "Car #3 was delivered to someone (who prefers not to be named) who is not associated with the company on a day to day basis, but whose investment fund put money into Tesla very early." Of course, RF is grumbling, asking for independent verification of Siry's assertion. But I've convinced him it's time to call it a day. The Tesla Birth Watch is officially over. The Tesla Death Watch begins.
You'll have to go to their site for the comments, but here's a pretty good one by Darryl:

Actually I can't get the TTAC site up either here in the LA area.

Yes, it worked earlier today, but I can see I get 4 jumps within the US before it dies so probably some network problem somewhere in the US. Seems I can do a DNS resolve but not a ping, so their server itself must be down or the routing to that server.

Cobos

You'll have to go to their site for the comments, but here's a pretty good one by Darryl:

I find it a bit interesting that Darryl keeps commenting on TTAC which has always been extremely critical, while the whole issue with Martins car has gone uncommented on Autobloggreen. The article on ABG about Martins car is currently the most commented post the last 7 days which must be generating lots of views and still no comment. The silence speaks volumes, isn't that the expression?

Cobos

Controversy generates traffic, and on an ad-supported site like TTAC, traffic generates money.

It works ok, it's gotten a few visits from me :) (Though I've never clicked any any ads :)

-Ryan

I'm pretty sure doing a DDOS attack (which is the only version worth talking about) is illegal in the US as it is in Norway. You really think Tesla would do a DOS attack on something as unimportant as TTAC? Especially considering a DDOS attack might theoretally buy you some time, but you can't keep it up for an extended period of time.... Knowing quite a few things about webservers I'm guessing some mundane problem with the fiber or the servers somewhere...

Cobos

Okaaayyyy..... back on topic:
I'm actually sad the Birth Watch is over. I was hoping they'd keep it going until the Founders' Series was done. Anyhow, I'm sure they'll continue to comment on all things Tesla with their special brand of spin. It's kinda like reading the Onion. But with the Birth Watch over, I do think it overly pessimistic, even for them, to start a Death Watch.

TTAC said:
According to Tesla Comms Veep Darryl Siry, "Car #3 was delivered to someone (who prefers not to be named) who is not associated with the company on a day to day basis, but whose investment fund put money into Tesla very early."

This is Jeff Skoll formerly of eBay fame. I'm not sure why there is any mystery about this. Check out his Wiki entry under Other Interests. (I did not submit that info.)
Jeffrey Skoll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is also what we were told at the store opening at the beginning of the month. I do not count this as a real customer in any way. He still has great interest in the success of the company as a whole and not just about how the car is. It is not likely we will hear a honest review from him either.