Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS-029 - Tesla Must Do Better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an early adopter of Tesla. I bought my Model S in Feb of 2015, laying out close to 90k for a car – which is something I would have never dreamed of doing previously. But I believed in the mission, I believed in the car – so I traded in my Kia Optima and subjected myself to this grand experiment. This was the days where the masses really didn’t know what Tesla was – I would get stopped in parking lots and get strange looks on the road – and I gave makeshift mini-presentations about how this was the future of transportation.

Fast forward 8 years and 3 months later…. After Supercharging I received an error on my screen that said “maximum battery charge level reduced” and gave the code BMS_029. After 8 years and 85k miles of very happy ownership – dealing with the usual door handle replacements, window regulator breaks, new MCU, new front dash screen etc – I now realized I was faced with something much more serious.

I planned on keeping my car indefinitely. I love the car. I have never loved a car, but I do love this car.

3 months after my battery warranty expired, I have this error that is going to limit me to about 35% charge, and from everything I read online it is basically a battery death sentence. The Tesla equivalent of the “blue screen of death”. I went to the Tesla Service App, and explained the error and a screenshot – and got back a 15k estimate. No phone call, no options, no offer of repair, no diagnostics - just give us 15k and we will fix it.

Thank goodness for the online community. I found a Facebook group dedicated to this, and lots of help at Teslamotorsclub. I am not an engineer. I am simply a normal consumer. I feel like that needs to be said because if not for the amateur Tesla engineers out there, and aftermarket technicians – I feel like there would be zero information about this because Tesla isn’t talking or explaining. They simply text you back an estimate in an app, with one option – pay us or your car is dead – bricked.

So after doing lots of reading online – and talking to several experts – these are the options:
  • Error removal through software. There are people out there who will (for about $500), simply remove the error so that you can go back to where you were the day before this dreaded error showed up.
  • Pay anywhere from 8k to 9.5K to ReCell or another 3rd party for a remanufactured battery. You will get a battery pack from a car that they previously replaced, and remanufactured for you. Your battery will then be remanufactured and sold to someone else. You will get a battery pack that is dated anywhere from 2012 to 2015 and a 2 year 25k warranty.
  • Pay Tesla about 15k for exactly what ReCell does, but get a 4 year 50k warranty.
  • Buy a brand new 90KWH battery from Tesla for about 19k, and get a 4 year 50k warranty.
Option 1 seems like the absolute worst option. It seems like this is widely advised against, as this simply removes the error but doesn’t fix the root cause – which could be catastrophic. This part seems obvious. But hiding under the surface is a very big problem for Tesla – and for Tesla owners – the resale market can never be trusted. When I got this error – overnight – my resale value went from 30k to 10k. If I can remove this error, it goes back up to 30k. So it is obvious that there will be lots of unsuspecting buyers who end up with a car that is going to get the error again – or a potential big problem with the battery – either from a dealer who buys it for 10k and removes the error and sells for 30k, or an individual. This seems like a PR disaster for Tesla – and a horrible situation for consumers. It has already happened multiple times.

Option 2 and 3 are very similar – really just warranty differences. But in the end, if you can get a brand new battery for 4k more, and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, ReCell and Tesla need to do a better job of educating the average consumer (like me) that a reman battery with 8-10 year old cells has a value proposition vs a brand new battery. I fully support ReCell and their mission, because they are doing what Tesla does and beating them on price – and for the right person – it is a great option.

I chose option 4. I hate that I am laying out 19k to basically get back to where I was before the error. But at the same time – with the limited information I have – especially from Tesla – and very limited options – it is the best decision for me. My car is at Tesla right now sitting waiting for the work to be done.

Tesla needs to do a much better job addressing this, and develop a program that has better education and options. Are they trying to get the early cars off the road? Are they trying to get the unlimited supercharging cars off the road? They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?

Tin foil hat time…. I don’t necessarily believe any of the following to be true – but as Elon likes to say on Twitter – “I am just asking the questions”. What if there was a company that could press a button and send an error to a car fresh out of warranty, and essentially brick it knowing that they then would charge between 15k and 19k to replace it, and in return get a battery that they will sell to the next person they send the error to?

It seems a lot of cars are getting this error just after 8 years. Tesla – isn’t it in your best interest to be more transparent about issues, education, and options? Do you not care that the people this is happening to are the same people who in part built the company to what it is today? I have probably sold 20 people over the years on buying cars, and I have bought a MY. I am not suggesting Tesla owes us anything – but it just seems like a smart business decision to better handle this.

There are lawsuits already out there. Who knows. One persons opinion… This experience has seriously diminished my faith and experience in Tesla. I am biting the bullet – spending 19k on a car that will only be worth 30k when done – but I will always wonder if the BMS_029 error was just a software glitch, a $50 circuit board, a real problem that just happened to occur at 8 years and 3 months – or something much more sinister.

Come on Tesla, you can and need to do better.

13931046016_3a0a212798_b.jpg

"2014 Tesla Model S" by harry_nl is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

great write up and welcome feedback — for our part, @Recell's mission is simple: keep these cars on the road as long as we can and ensure that owners get a full 12 years or more out of their existing battery pack - basically 4 years or more on top of what Tesla provides. And we build all our remanufactured battery packs around that principle.

Last edited:
great write up and welcome feedback — for our part, the @Recell mission is simple: keep these cars on the road as long as we can and ensure that owners get a full 12 years or more out of their existing battery pack - basically 4 years or more on top of what Tesla provides. And we build all our remanufactured battery packs around that principle.
Can you post online here any rough numbers for the cost of your offerings? And how busy are you - is it a long turnaround to get a battery replacement from your company? My battery warranty expires in six days, and I fully expect to be in the same boat soon. Maybe I need a tin-foil hat, but I think Tesla is blocking defects in their batteries until the warranty is out, then giving us the bad news. I say this because I tried in good faith every way I could think of, with repeated requests and suggestions, offers to pay for the info, to get Tesla to examine my car's battery and tell me what shape it is in now, while its under warranty. No dice. Basically they gave me the middle finger. "Your battery is fine, trust us" was all they said. I'm not a Tesla fan right now.

There's a lawsuit around this (batteries "failing" due to firmware pushes with evidence of antics being that if you revert to older firmware versions the battery keeps working as though it's in good shape, for basically forever), if memory serves me. Running a scam like you described is likely to end up with enough nuggets left in internal communications / things found with discovery that it'd be ... bad. Keep in mind that some VW execs have gone to jail for antics like that.

But anything's possible; people crime because they think they'll get away with it.

Tesla's got a history of sometimes grudgingly doing the right thing, and sometimes doing kinda the right thing and sometimes not doing the right thing. Ask someone about GM ignition lock assemblies and someone with a bolt with new batteries and they'll have distinct feelings about if GM "does the right thing".

A couple years ago a new battery was 22k; now it's 19k and if you get a refurb you're somewhat likely to get a new battery anyhow, and those are $11k (roughly). So the costs for replacement batteries are going in the right direction. Ideally tesla will keep driving those costs down. Counting inflation (or the cost of eggs) that's a pretty significant price decrease over time.

Were I in the situation to need it (and I guess I will be in the situation to need it in 18 months; my car's an early 2016) I'd either reset the warning and block updates (and keep the car) or more likely just pay for a new battery.

Can you post online here any rough numbers for the cost of your offerings? And how busy are you - is it a long turnaround to get a battery replacement from your company? My battery warranty expires in six days, and I fully expect to be in the same boat soon. Maybe I need a tin-foil hat, but I think Tesla is blocking defects in their batteries until the warranty is out, then giving us the bad news. I say this because I tried in good faith every way I could think of, with repeated requests and suggestions, offers to pay for the info, to get Tesla to examine my car's battery and tell me what shape it is in now, while its under warranty. No dice. Basically they gave me the middle finger. "Your battery is fine, trust us" was all they said. I'm not a Tesla fan right now.

absolutely. all the details, technical specs, FAQ, etc. can be found here:

and our backlog is short, 1-2 weeks out. because we have packs in inventory ready to go, we can typically swap out a pack same day/next day.

Last edited:
You have exactly one option: Replace the battery.

All of the other things are kicking the can down the road with vary levels of safety - most of which bypass any safety Tesla has built into the car and could put you, your family, and your home directly in harm's way.

Essentially, consider the battery failed.

What you choose to replace it is up to you -- but it's done.

All the kerfuffle around firmware updates and such are noise. The firmware updates detect failures which earlier firmware did not. That's a safety improvement, and something which I personally would not mess with.

Consider it as a smoke alarm which has been improved to detect more types of smoke. You wouldn't ignore that alarm and say "oh, the old detector didn't notice it, so we'll just put it back", would you?

... “I am just asking the questions”. What if there was a company that could press a button and send an error to a car fresh out of warranty, and essentially brick it knowing that they then would charge between 15k and 19k to replace it, and in return get a battery that they will sell to the next person they send the error to?

It seems a lot of cars are getting this error just after 8 years. ...
There are other sayings, like: "Once Is Chance, Twice is Coincidence, Third Time's A Pattern." It is incredibly coincidental that these packs miraculously "age" right after 8 yrs / warranty expires.

The other thing that may surface in a lawsuit (especially in Europe) is how private customer videos (naked guy in garage, child on bike hit by Tesla car, etc.) were distributed internally.

I might bring it to you when its got 149k miles just to get that extra 2 yrs warranty! That's a great benefit (if I read it right).

@Electricfan no need to. save your (hard earned) money until there’s an actual issue. All our packs have a base warranty of 18 months / 15,000 miles that covers vehicles more than 12 years old or more 150,000 miles 👍

and of course, we offer a free extended warranty for up to 4 years and 50,000 miles on vehicles less than 12 years and 150,000 miles.

Last edited:
@JVL fantastic write up, Thank you for taking time to do so. If you don't mind, would you let us all know the exact specs of your car. Thinking of things that are in my signature for my '15 S. I'm gathering from the original post that you have MCU2 but don't know which exact model and what firmware.

Someone in another thread raised a good question. If you put an extra 20k on a car that is worth 30k, and then totaled it in an unfortunate event, insurance is not going to give you 50k and probably much lower than that ... In the old days, we always sell the car if the repair cost is piling up, but for EV, the car is worthless if the battery doesn't work ...

There are other sayings, like: "Once Is Chance, Twice is Coincidence, Third Time's A Pattern." It is incredibly coincidental that these packs miraculously "age" right after 8 yrs / warranty expires.

The other thing that may surface in a lawsuit (especially in Europe) is how private customer videos (naked guy in garage, child on bike hit by Tesla car, etc.) were distributed internally.
I don't know.. I know people that work at Dell that expect (engineer) their hard drives to fail very shortly after the warranty is up.. not because they are trying to screw customers but because they are making them just reliable enough to fulfill their warranty period... some would call that good engineering

on a related note.. how is your S85 2013 holding up!?

Reactions: David29 and MP3Mike
I didn't mean to imply that I am making a wise financial decision by buying a new battery. In fact, it is just flat out dumb (financially) to put 19k in to a car that is maybe worth 30k on the other side. For me, there is more in this than than the $ - and stupidity of wanting to keep the car has taken over any common sense I have.

Another real issue.... Who can you ethically sell a car with this error to? This is a big part of the problem that Tesla needs to address. I can't ethically sell my car (with the error) to anyone other than Tesla themselves. If I list it and advertise the error, I get 10k and then someone who buys it clears the error for $500 and flips it for 30k. So I have basically authorized a middle man to screw someone. Yes - one step better than me directly screwing someone - but not much better.

So then what does Tesla offer me? 12.5k WITHOUT the error on trade! Yes - the same car that third party vendors will pay 25-30k - Tesla offers 12.5. I didnt even bother asking them what they would offer WITH the error.

See the predicament? Tesla is offering by far the lowest for a trade, and you really cant ethically sell it to anyone except for Tesla. They are almost begging you to go and sell on the open market and in that case - someone is going to lose.

Tesla needs to think this through and act. What about an extended warranty program for the battery? Pay $X per year after the 8 years, and get a reman battery as needed. It spreads the cost out over many people and many year (premise of insurance).

At the very least - Tesla needs to consider the ripples here - and they are far reaching.

@JVL fantastic write up, Thank you for taking time to do so. If you don't mind, would you let us all know the exact specs of your car. Thinking of things that are in my signature for my '15 S. I'm gathering from the original post that you have MCU2 but don't know which exact model and what firmware.
I will do this when I get the car back from service. I dont know this stuff without asking them - but I will - and update the post.

Someone in another thread raised a good question. If you put an extra 20k on a car that is worth 30k, and then totaled it in an unfortunate event, insurance is not going to give you 50k and probably much lower than that ... In the old days, we always sell the car if the repair cost is piling up, but for EV, the car is worthless if the battery doesn't work ...

we were talking about this just the other day over lunch - and to be clear, we’re NOT saying this to drum up reman business!

unless you’re undeniably passionate about YOUR specific car (color, config, low serial number, etc. - all perfectly understandable reasons to hold onto it as long as possible) it actually makes little sense to get a NEW pack for a 10-12 year old car, for that exact reason. you don’t want a $20k battery to outlast the car, and with a NEW pack, it most likely will.

instead you probably want to re-up on term every 4-8 years in order to optimize your investment.

in fact, arguably the best model for owners needing a replacement pack would be a ‘replacement pack as a service’ (RPAAS 😉)

anyway, everyone has their own personal calculus to vehicle ownership - so it won’t appeal to everyone - but it’s an interesting problem.

Last edited:
They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?
I don't personally like the idea that they keep your bad battery cause you can actually sell good modules from failed battery for a good chunk for solar or other EV projects, but on the flip side, this is arguably how Tesla keeps the costs down... not sure what the actual cost of the pack is...
Only way around this and also Option 5 for u, is to get a used battery from like Salvage yard n sell off modules from ur old one.
Good side benefit is this will prevent someone using ur failed battery as a scam later...

Another real issue.... Who can you ethically sell a car with this error to? This is a big part of the problem that Tesla needs to address. I can't ethically sell my car (with the error) to anyone other than Tesla themselves. If I list it and advertise the error, I get 10k and then someone who buys it clears the error for $500 and flips it for 30k.
That is a good point n i'm glad ur ethics kicked in here. I share ur view here.

Reactions: Dreamcar
In fact, it is just flat out dumb (financially) to put 19k in to a car that is maybe worth 30k on the other side.
But is it really dumb? When it's all resolved, I have to have a car to drive. My transportation either cost me $19k (new battery) and end up with a Model S... or roughly $19k (new car) to end up with a Nissan Versa (or equivalent). In the end, I end up with a car and X dollars left in the bank, so on purely a financial basis it's the same for new battery vs new car. If having a decent car on a budget is the goal, then the new battery seems like a clear winner. If it's all about the $X left in the bank, then a used Nissan Leaf 😣 is clearly the winner. If it's all about a cool car, I'll look at Lucid or something.
For me, I'll opt for the new battery and drive a Model S. I just wonder if my logic is off.