Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS-029 - Tesla Must Do Better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an early adopter of Tesla. I bought my Model S in Feb of 2015, laying out close to 90k for a car – which is something I would have never dreamed of doing previously. But I believed in the mission, I believed in the car – so I traded in my Kia Optima and subjected myself to this grand experiment. This was the days where the masses really didn’t know what Tesla was – I would get stopped in parking lots and get strange looks on the road – and I gave makeshift mini-presentations about how this was the future of transportation.

Fast forward 8 years and 3 months later…. After Supercharging I received an error on my screen that said “maximum battery charge level reduced” and gave the code BMS_029. After 8 years and 85k miles of very happy ownership – dealing with the usual door handle replacements, window regulator breaks, new MCU, new front dash screen etc – I now realized I was faced with something much more serious.

I planned on keeping my car indefinitely. I love the car. I have never loved a car, but I do love this car.

3 months after my battery warranty expired, I have this error that is going to limit me to about 35% charge, and from everything I read online it is basically a battery death sentence. The Tesla equivalent of the “blue screen of death”. I went to the Tesla Service App, and explained the error and a screenshot – and got back a 15k estimate. No phone call, no options, no offer of repair, no diagnostics - just give us 15k and we will fix it.

Thank goodness for the online community. I found a Facebook group dedicated to this, and lots of help at Teslamotorsclub. I am not an engineer. I am simply a normal consumer. I feel like that needs to be said because if not for the amateur Tesla engineers out there, and aftermarket technicians – I feel like there would be zero information about this because Tesla isn’t talking or explaining. They simply text you back an estimate in an app, with one option – pay us or your car is dead – bricked.

So after doing lots of reading online – and talking to several experts – these are the options:
  • Error removal through software. There are people out there who will (for about $500), simply remove the error so that you can go back to where you were the day before this dreaded error showed up.
  • Pay anywhere from 8k to 9.5K to ReCell or another 3rd party for a remanufactured battery. You will get a battery pack from a car that they previously replaced, and remanufactured for you. Your battery will then be remanufactured and sold to someone else. You will get a battery pack that is dated anywhere from 2012 to 2015 and a 2 year 25k warranty.
  • Pay Tesla about 15k for exactly what ReCell does, but get a 4 year 50k warranty.
  • Buy a brand new 90KWH battery from Tesla for about 19k, and get a 4 year 50k warranty.
Option 1 seems like the absolute worst option. It seems like this is widely advised against, as this simply removes the error but doesn’t fix the root cause – which could be catastrophic. This part seems obvious. But hiding under the surface is a very big problem for Tesla – and for Tesla owners – the resale market can never be trusted. When I got this error – overnight – my resale value went from 30k to 10k. If I can remove this error, it goes back up to 30k. So it is obvious that there will be lots of unsuspecting buyers who end up with a car that is going to get the error again – or a potential big problem with the battery – either from a dealer who buys it for 10k and removes the error and sells for 30k, or an individual. This seems like a PR disaster for Tesla – and a horrible situation for consumers. It has already happened multiple times.

Option 2 and 3 are very similar – really just warranty differences. But in the end, if you can get a brand new battery for 4k more, and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, ReCell and Tesla need to do a better job of educating the average consumer (like me) that a reman battery with 8-10 year old cells has a value proposition vs a brand new battery. I fully support ReCell and their mission, because they are doing what Tesla does and beating them on price – and for the right person – it is a great option.

I chose option 4. I hate that I am laying out 19k to basically get back to where I was before the error. But at the same time – with the limited information I have – especially from Tesla – and very limited options – it is the best decision for me. My car is at Tesla right now sitting waiting for the work to be done.

Tesla needs to do a much better job addressing this, and develop a program that has better education and options. Are they trying to get the early cars off the road? Are they trying to get the unlimited supercharging cars off the road? They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?

Tin foil hat time…. I don’t necessarily believe any of the following to be true – but as Elon likes to say on Twitter – “I am just asking the questions”. What if there was a company that could press a button and send an error to a car fresh out of warranty, and essentially brick it knowing that they then would charge between 15k and 19k to replace it, and in return get a battery that they will sell to the next person they send the error to?

It seems a lot of cars are getting this error just after 8 years. Tesla – isn’t it in your best interest to be more transparent about issues, education, and options? Do you not care that the people this is happening to are the same people who in part built the company to what it is today? I have probably sold 20 people over the years on buying cars, and I have bought a MY. I am not suggesting Tesla owes us anything – but it just seems like a smart business decision to better handle this.

There are lawsuits already out there. Who knows. One persons opinion… This experience has seriously diminished my faith and experience in Tesla. I am biting the bullet – spending 19k on a car that will only be worth 30k when done – but I will always wonder if the BMS_029 error was just a software glitch, a $50 circuit board, a real problem that just happened to occur at 8 years and 3 months – or something much more sinister.

Come on Tesla, you can and need to do better.

13931046016_3a0a212798_b.jpg

"2014 Tesla Model S" by harry_nl is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I'm aware that this can be done, but how do you know this is the case for this vehicle?

If so, and I were the OP, I'd be hunting for evidence. A vehicle sale leaves a clear paper trail to the previous owner, so if the OP can prove the error happened in the previous owner's care, there's a legal case.

I'm aware that this can be done, but how do you know this is the case for this vehicle?

If so, and I were the OP, I'd be hunting for evidence. A vehicle sale leaves a clear paper trail to the previous owner, so if the OP can prove the error happened in the previous owner's care, there's a legal case.
Before purchase some folks have recommended factory reset or supercharging to 100% SOC and see if alert pops up. Another recommendation is getting seller to attest in writing that BMS_u029 reset was not done. After purchase, I believe 057tech has a way to determine but they need the car.

Last edited:
While that might be true, there's clueless sellers that think that BMS_u029 is just another #dieselgate/#batterygate...
U can't really blame them for not understanding how EV/cells work.

Sorry, I totally disagree with that.

That's akin to shutting off the "Service Engine Soon" light on a car before selling it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Whether you know what the problem is or not, shutting the 'alarm' off and reselling the car before it pops up again is fraud. You don't need any deep knowledge of anything to know that.

EV, gas car, diesel, whatever it is -- deliberately disabling the alert is deliberate and fraudulent.

Sorry, I totally disagree with that.

That's akin to shutting off the "Service Engine Soon" light on a car before selling it to an unsuspecting buyer.

Whether you know what the problem is or not, shutting the 'alarm' off and reselling the car before it pops up again is fraud. You don't need any deep knowledge of anything to know that.

EV, gas car, diesel, whatever it is -- deliberately disabling the alert is deliberate and fraudulent.
Thats not what i meant.
If an average owner calls an EV shop n says i have u029 error, can u fix it? n the shop fixes it for <$1k without explanation
The owner none the wiser n thinks they know what they're doing n legit fixed a problem.
Then sometime later sells the car w/o second thought..
Not everyone is a nerd hanging out on forums...

• Helpful
Reactions: father_of_6
While that might be true, there's clueless sellers that think that BMS_u029 is just another #dieselgate/#batterygate...
U can't really blame them for not understanding how EV/cells work.
While there are many clueless people out there, to argue that they did not know it was a problem you would also have to argue that they received the error. did not contact a service center about it, somehow came across a company offering to reset the code and never saw any other information indicating it was a problem. That exceeds credulity.

Reactions: dmurphy
While there are many clueless people out there, to argue that they did not know it was a problem you would also have to argue that they received the error. did not contact a service center about it, somehow came across a company offering to reset the code and never saw any other information indicating it was a problem. That exceeds credulity.

Agreed. It's really the same as a gas car. If someone's check engine light is on, they take it to a mechanic and "the guy" says "I shut the light off" ... they wouldn't ask "did you fix it?" or even "what was wrong?" Wouldn't want a bill with a detail or two?

Only way they'd accept that is if they KNOW the guy just shut the light off and didn't fix a damn thing.

Still put the onus on the owner. You don't have to nerd out online to know just shutting the light (or alert) off and then immediately selling the car is shady as hell.

"Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.") The assumption is that buyers will inspect and otherwise ensure that they are confident with the integrity of the product (or land, to which it often refers) before completing a transaction. This does not, however, give sellers the green light to actively engage in fraudulent transactions."

"Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit ("Let a purchaser beware, for he ought not to be ignorant of the nature of the property which he is buying from another party.") The assumption is that buyers will inspect and otherwise ensure that they are confident with the integrity of the product (or land, to which it often refers) before completing a transaction. This does not, however, give sellers the green light to actively engage in fraudulent transactions."

Which is exactly what someone is doing if they clear the code prior to selling the car.

Reactions: dmurphy
I don't agree. A tech clears the error and says - "it sometimes just happens, should be fine" - "the software is too picky". There are all sorts of explanations that could be used by someone reseting the alert.
I doubt many would say - for $500 I can reset it but it is dangerous and you should sell the car immediately. I am sure that goes on also but other explanations are reasonable.
Now - that someone would first go to an independent shop without forum knowledge is a bit suspect. But if you live in an area with a busy SC and well known independent shops - then maybe.

The reality is this is a huge problem for Tesla. Because people that own these S cars are realizing Tesla doesn’t give a flying “f” about the customers that helped build the brand. Tesla giving up on the older cars and suggesting an expensive repair to keep it on the road is strategic on their part. They are betting most people will give up on the car and simply buy a new one. But why would a customer who felt wronged by Tesla actually agree to buy a new one? The answer is they won’t and other brands will benefit from their customer service ineptitude. Tesla has no interest in two things 1. Offering an extended battery warranty & 2. Warranting a new replacement pack for 8 years. Why would they want the customer to get perceived value out of a 19,000 expenditure? No one can answer why Tesla is offering the same warranty for a used pack versus a new one. If it’s new why are they even worried it would last even a day less than 8 years. Considering they have “claimed” to have corrected earlier issues yet you constantly see newer cars for sale that have had packs replaced. Tesla ransomwaring their batteries seems to be the complete opposite end of the spectrum from sustainability. No one in their right mind would pay 132,000 for a car and then scrap it after 8 years especially if it had low miles. Tesla needs to rethink this fast but I doubt they have the common sense to do so.
That is exactly what I had to do. I regret it now, but I couldn't get a loan for a new battery, but I could get a loan for a Model 3...

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
I am an early adopter of Tesla. I bought my Model S in Feb of 2015, laying out close to 90k for a car – which is something I would have never dreamed of doing previously. But I believed in the mission, I believed in the car – so I traded in my Kia Optima and subjected myself to this grand experiment. This was the days where the masses really didn’t know what Tesla was – I would get stopped in parking lots and get strange looks on the road – and I gave makeshift mini-presentations about how this was the future of transportation.

Fast forward 8 years and 3 months later…. After Supercharging I received an error on my screen that said “maximum battery charge level reduced” and gave the code BMS_029. After 8 years and 85k miles of very happy ownership – dealing with the usual door handle replacements, window regulator breaks, new MCU, new front dash screen etc – I now realized I was faced with something much more serious.

I planned on keeping my car indefinitely. I love the car. I have never loved a car, but I do love this car.

3 months after my battery warranty expired, I have this error that is going to limit me to about 35% charge, and from everything I read online it is basically a battery death sentence. The Tesla equivalent of the “blue screen of death”. I went to the Tesla Service App, and explained the error and a screenshot – and got back a 15k estimate. No phone call, no options, no offer of repair, no diagnostics - just give us 15k and we will fix it.

Thank goodness for the online community. I found a Facebook group dedicated to this, and lots of help at Teslamotorsclub. I am not an engineer. I am simply a normal consumer. I feel like that needs to be said because if not for the amateur Tesla engineers out there, and aftermarket technicians – I feel like there would be zero information about this because Tesla isn’t talking or explaining. They simply text you back an estimate in an app, with one option – pay us or your car is dead – bricked.

So after doing lots of reading online – and talking to several experts – these are the options:
  • Error removal through software. There are people out there who will (for about $500), simply remove the error so that you can go back to where you were the day before this dreaded error showed up.
  • Pay anywhere from 8k to 9.5K to ReCell or another 3rd party for a remanufactured battery. You will get a battery pack from a car that they previously replaced, and remanufactured for you. Your battery will then be remanufactured and sold to someone else. You will get a battery pack that is dated anywhere from 2012 to 2015 and a 2 year 25k warranty.
  • Pay Tesla about 15k for exactly what ReCell does, but get a 4 year 50k warranty.
  • Buy a brand new 90KWH battery from Tesla for about 19k, and get a 4 year 50k warranty.
Option 1 seems like the absolute worst option. It seems like this is widely advised against, as this simply removes the error but doesn’t fix the root cause – which could be catastrophic. This part seems obvious. But hiding under the surface is a very big problem for Tesla – and for Tesla owners – the resale market can never be trusted. When I got this error – overnight – my resale value went from 30k to 10k. If I can remove this error, it goes back up to 30k. So it is obvious that there will be lots of unsuspecting buyers who end up with a car that is going to get the error again – or a potential big problem with the battery – either from a dealer who buys it for 10k and removes the error and sells for 30k, or an individual. This seems like a PR disaster for Tesla – and a horrible situation for consumers. It has already happened multiple times.

Option 2 and 3 are very similar – really just warranty differences. But in the end, if you can get a brand new battery for 4k more, and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, ReCell and Tesla need to do a better job of educating the average consumer (like me) that a reman battery with 8-10 year old cells has a value proposition vs a brand new battery. I fully support ReCell and their mission, because they are doing what Tesla does and beating them on price – and for the right person – it is a great option.

I chose option 4. I hate that I am laying out 19k to basically get back to where I was before the error. But at the same time – with the limited information I have – especially from Tesla – and very limited options – it is the best decision for me. My car is at Tesla right now sitting waiting for the work to be done.

Tesla needs to do a much better job addressing this, and develop a program that has better education and options. Are they trying to get the early cars off the road? Are they trying to get the unlimited supercharging cars off the road? They are getting my battery as part of the 19k repair – and they will remanufacture that and sell it to someone else for 15k. How much work and cost goes in to the remanufacturing? What if it is a circuit board or a few cells or even a module on my battery – that costs them close to nothing in comparison to the 15k they will flip it for – is that fair that I pay 19k on a car that is only worth 30k, and they ALSO get my battery?

Tin foil hat time…. I don’t necessarily believe any of the following to be true – but as Elon likes to say on Twitter – “I am just asking the questions”. What if there was a company that could press a button and send an error to a car fresh out of warranty, and essentially brick it knowing that they then would charge between 15k and 19k to replace it, and in return get a battery that they will sell to the next person they send the error to?

It seems a lot of cars are getting this error just after 8 years. Tesla – isn’t it in your best interest to be more transparent about issues, education, and options? Do you not care that the people this is happening to are the same people who in part built the company to what it is today? I have probably sold 20 people over the years on buying cars, and I have bought a MY. I am not suggesting Tesla owes us anything – but it just seems like a smart business decision to better handle this.

There are lawsuits already out there. Who knows. One persons opinion… This experience has seriously diminished my faith and experience in Tesla. I am biting the bullet – spending 19k on a car that will only be worth 30k when done – but I will always wonder if the BMS_029 error was just a software glitch, a $50 circuit board, a real problem that just happened to occur at 8 years and 3 months – or something much more sinister.

Come on Tesla, you can and need to do better.

View attachment 944839
"2014 Tesla Model S" by harry_nl is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.. very informative,,,

Reactions: JVL
Deceiving a buyer by knowingly misrepresenting the condition of something for financial gain is precisely the definition of fraud.
Damn straight, ethics matter. With the amount of used early model S's hitting Facebook marketplace from suspicious-looking sellers, this is a business model car flippers are adopting. It will hurt honest sellers.

Damn straight, ethics matter. With the amount of used early model S's hitting Facebook marketplace from suspicious-looking sellers, this is a business model car flippers are adopting. It will hurt honest sellers.
To elaborate a bit more, there’s certainly an amount of caveat emptor and due diligence required on the part of buyers. ANYONE thinking of buying one of these cars would do good to know the cars provenance and ask the seller very explicitly if the car has had any battery errors or other codes serviced or cleared recently by anyone - be sure to turn a lie of omission into a deliberate deception.

Although if you could prove someone did this prior to sale and they didn’t disclose it (sounds like wk057 can and does help in situations like this), they’ve fundamentally misrepresented the condition of the car in any case and I think you have a very good shot at legally proving fraud.

This BMS_029 alert reset issue appears to have entered into another example of buyer beware - Dealers/private sellers use the <$1000 reset option, then sell the Model S (MS) to unsuspecting buyers who inherit the alerts.

These dealers/private sellers stand to probably make $10-20k in this flipping scenario (basically the current cost of replacement pack.) That's a fairly good return on investment.

My dollar figure based on either (1) current owner using reset option and still getting $25-30k for their MS or (2) dealer/private seller buying known 029 alert MS for $7-11K, using reset option, then selling MS for $25-30k.