Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn on AC from phone app with car to set to manual mode with AC off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the cars HVAC set to manual mode AC OFF and climate control turned off when exiting the vehicle, is there anyway to turn on AC remotely from the phone app? When I turn on climate control via the app, it shows blue which I assumed meant AC was cooling the cabin; however, AC mode was not enabled when I returned to the car.

Are you sure AC was not on remotely? My experience is, when you turn it on remotely, it turns on, then when you open the door, the AC reverts to the setting it was when you got out. Said another way, if you turned it on, remotely, are you sure it didnt come on and cool the car, then when you got back to the car it simply turned off because thats how it was when you left it?

I am not 100% on this, but seem to remember it working like that. You could test it, by turning it off like you did, waiting a bit for the car to get warm to hot inside of it, then turn on the AC remotely and let it run for 15 minutes or so, go to the car, and see if its cool inside.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Are you sure AC was not on remotely? My experience is, when you turn it on remotely, it turns on, then when you open the door, the AC reverts to the setting it was when you got out. Said another way, if you turned it on, remotely, are you sure it didnt come on and cool the car, then when you got back to the car it simply turned off because thats how it was when you left it?

I am not 100% on this, but seem to remember it working like that. You could test it, by turning it off like you did, waiting a bit for the car to get warm to hot inside of it, then turn on the AC remotely and let it run for 15 minutes or so, go to the car, and see if its cool inside.
You might be correct. The HVAC was off when I exited the car, fan speed was 7 and recirc on prior to turning off. When I entered the car fan speed was higher, AC off and I forgot to check recirc setting. I hope they change the logic to leave AC ON when entering the car after enabling via the phone app.

I tried turning on the HVAC using the phone app while setting in the drivers seat (while in the exit state described above), it did not turn on the AC. Maybe need to be away from the car?

Last edited:
You might be correct. The HVAC was off when I exited the car, fan speed was 7 and recirc on prior to turning off. When I entered the car fan speed was higher, AC off and I forgot to check recirc setting. I hope they change the logic to leave AC ON when entering the car after enabling via the phone app.

I tried turning on the HVAC using the phone app while setting in the drivers seat (while in the exit state described above), it did not turn on the AC. Maybe need to be away from the car?

The car knows you are in the car (unlocked with some key, weight on seat, etc). If you want to test it, I would recommend testing it like I mentioned above, or something like that.

Reactions: hcdavis3
My 2021 does NOT turn A/C on if I had it off before shutting off the car, which is always the case. But I was pleased to find out the cabin was quickly cooled down from 135+ to ambient temperature (105) even without A/C on, so at that point, I turned on cabin overheat protection without A/C :). And if you want to turn A/C on with the app, you need to leave it on before shutting off the car. Not a big deal IMO, but if there's an obscure way to turn it on from the app, I'd like to know :).

I just had the experience last night where I had turned on my AC via the phone app, then proceeded to drive and got home around 5pm. When I went to my car this morning the AC was still running, as it ran all night. Owned my car for nearly 2 years and never had this happen before.