Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Gen 3 chargers, for one Tesla and one non-Tesla…?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen variations of this question, but I’m getting a little confused so help me out please.

I have a Tesla Gen 3 charger installed at 48 amps on a 60 amp circuit. I now want to install another charger for a non-Tesla EV, ie a car with a J1772 input, and (maybe) PowerShare between the two chargers.

I’m pretty sure I can’t do power sharing with a non-Tesla charger.

Can I add another Tesla Gen 3 charger, put one of those J1772 adapters on it (like Teslatap), and then PowerShare between the two Gen 3 chargers? Or do the cars themselves both need to be Teslas to PowerShare ?

Thanks.

Since the basic Gen3 Tesla Wall Connector allows you to select to charge both Tesla and non-Tesla vehicles, I am fairly certain this is permitted in the sharing - assuming Tesla coders have properly implemented power sharing with few bugs.

The firmware to enable sharing is not installed or shipped by default, and my wall connector would not update automatically to the code, and said I was up to date on versions. Nonetheless, I updated to this newest code available on Tesla (manual download and update), and have been running it on my simple, non-shared installation without any issues.