Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backward compatibility of Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two Tesla Model S (2014 P85D and 2018 100D) and I want to install new wall connectors (I have been using the mobile connectors in 220V sockets). I read somewhere that the Gen 3 wall connectors are not backwards compatible with early model S's. I like the power sharing feature as I only have 60 amps available without pulling more wires into the garage. Any advice would be welcomed

I havent seen that (that Gen 3 wall connectors are not compatible with older model S) anywhere. Some older model S might have dual chargers, so be capable of receiving more power than gen 3 wall connectors put out, but that doesnt mean "incompatible."

Since you are looking at sharing a 60amp circuit anyway, which is max power for a gen 3 wall connector, I am fairly sure you will be fine (but I dont work for Tesla or anything).

Reactions: DerbyDave
I read somewhere that the Gen 3 wall connectors are not backwards compatible with early model S's.
That is not true, but I wonder if you were hearing about something similar that IS true. There were very early first generation wall connectors. At some point around like 2015 or 2016 or something, the newer cars had something about their central computer that was an incompatibility with those very old wall connectors. Tesla never did get that corrected to make the newer cars work with those old wall connectors, but that is the reverse of the problem you are talking about. The Gen3 wall connectors do work with everything as far as I know.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
The only thing I can think of that might be considered an incompatibility is that very early Model S didn’t reliably charge at 277V, which is supported by NACS. Shutdowns would occur when voltage was on the high side, but still within the +5% required by ANSI C84.1. This was corrected before the Model X was introduced, so I’m not sure whether or not your 2014 might be affected.

BTW, support for 277V is the reason why wall connectors are meant to be hard-wired, not plugged into a NEMA receptacle. UL2594 requires that EV chargers that are rated for more than 250V have to be hard-wired.

As long as your wall connector is powered by 208V or 240V, there should not be any compatibility issues with either of your Teslas.