Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two things I learned from an A/C Service Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I had the every-two-year A/C maintenance done today to replace the receiver dryer and desiccant. First time done in four years of ownership, so overdue. I wasn't having any A/C problems. The service wasn't very expensive, $285, given that the A/C system has to be emptied and refilled in the process, plus the desiccant comes out underneath the vehicle so covers have to come off. The system hadn't lost any charge since I bought the vehicle, so that's a good thing.

I learned that this service includes changing out the cabin air filter. I changed mine out last fall, and felt really good that I managed to get the damn big trim panel off the right end of the dash without breaking anything. I really didn't realize they were going to do this today. So, for the other MX owners, do this required service & get your cabin air filter changed as part of the deal.

In addition to the A/C work the service center resealed the front upper control arm ball joints. No charge, and it's called "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty" under Pay Type. I'm essentially out of the original warranty period, so I'm guessing there must be some extended warranty/tech bulletin involved.

This seems weird that you would need to replace the receiver dryer every two years. Generically speaking a heat pump system is a closed system and can run for many years without maintenance. If the system was appropriately evacuated during installation there should be extremely low levels of contaminants in the system that the receiver dryer would capture and store for many years. I personally would not have maintenance to any heat pump unless I was certain I was experiencing a loss of performance. The risk of introducing contaminates from even a marginally botched technician mistake could cause more damage to the system and far outweighs benefits perceived benefits to the system. To me this would be like controlling your weight by liposuction instead of diet and exercise.

Reactions: Genie
I had the every-two-year A/C maintenance done today to replace the receiver dryer and desiccant. First time done in four years of ownership, so overdue. I wasn't having any A/C problems. The service wasn't very expensive, $285, given that the A/C system has to be emptied and refilled in the process, plus the desiccant comes out underneath the vehicle so covers have to come off. The system hadn't lost any charge since I bought the vehicle, so that's a good thing.

I learned that this service includes changing out the cabin air filter. I changed mine out last fall, and felt really good that I managed to get the damn big trim panel off the right end of the dash without breaking anything. I really didn't realize they were going to do this today. So, for the other MX owners, do this required service & get your cabin air filter changed as part of the deal.

In addition to the A/C work the service center resealed the front upper control arm ball joints. No charge, and it's called "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty" under Pay Type. I'm essentially out of the original warranty period, so I'm guessing there must be some extended warranty/tech bulletin involved.
2/28/2022 replaced a 2018 Model X AC Receiver Dryer and Desiccant in Las Vegas $202.75 Carbon filter cabin & HEPA filter $305.25