Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Type 2 cable question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can I ask does the cable that comes with the tesla is that called a type 2.if so can I use it to plug into the many chargers that require a type 2 connection.or do I need to buy another cable.im confused.

Presumably for a very good technical reason the UMC cable does not have a Type-2 adaptor, so you need a Type-2 cable for chargers with that option, and then the UMC for anything else that you have an adaptor for - my car came with 13 AMP plug and a Commando socket adaptor.

I am pretty sure that nowadays the car comes with a Type-2 cable as well as the Tesla UMC.

Suggest you also plan on getting a heavy-duty extension lead for 13 AMP so that you are not reliant on your Mates worn out and frayed DIY cable when you stay there for the weekend!

Hi @Subevo, welcome!
The car does indeed come with a type 2 cable these days (any car ordered since April 2017). The cable is a high-quality Mennekes unit that is 7.5m long. It's rated for 3 phase up to 32A per phase. It allows you to connect to most untethered chargers like units in carparks etc!
There's no need to buy another cable to connect to public type 2 chargers.

You may want to consider a heavy duty extension cable as @WannabeOwner has suggested. In practice, I find this was not necessary for my needs. The UMC is also 7m long and it reaches fine when I'm charging at home (although I now use my wall charger...) When I'm out and about I either use the Supercharger network or the Type 2 public chargers.

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a message!

• Informative
Reactions: MagicMagicD
Just to explain a little more, to connect the car to an electricity supply you need a box of tricks that handles the delivery of the power, some safety sruff etc.

Public chargers like you find in car parks generally have these electronics already in them as do chargers you may install at home. The higher power ones tend to have a cable attached so you just plug in, as do some home and destination chargers but many require a cable - the so called type 2 cable.

You can’t always find a charging point and have to use a general purpose supply like a 3 pin plug, or an industrial socket like a blue commando socket, in fact some people have these fitted at home as it can be cheaper and Tesla used to fund these. When using, because they’re general purpose sockets, you need the box of tricks, and that’s the UMC cable.

It’s a touch more complicated than that.

To explain all the options and there relative speeds, but some advice on using superchargers, it’s explained here:

Owning a Tesla