Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical rock chip damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was towed about 8 hours to a repair shop and when I picked it up it seemed to me there was significant new rock chip damage in front of the rear wheel wells where the body flares out. My insurance company tells me this is normal for winter driving.

IMG_2419[1].JPG

Could anyone confirm similar chipping patterns due to driving wear?

Thanks

Unfortunately, they moved it twice and I've been unable to confirm how it was towed the second time. The only thing that makes any sense to me is they put it on a dolly and it got peppered at road level.

I feel like I'm losing my mind, how could I have possibly missed that obvious of damage?

FWIW, here's pics of when it left and when it got to the body shop:
IMG_2227[1].jpg
IMG_2421[1].jpg

The splash pattern of the mud looks like maybe the tires were kicking watery-snow up to the bed above (Icy snow on the mudflaps of the truck shows the tires throw some snow vertically), and it curling up and splashing your car, had to have been at speed at imagine. I'm no pro though, just my 2 cents.

My car was towed about 8 hours to a repair shop and when I picked it up it seemed to me there was significant new rock chip damage in front of the rear wheel wells where the body flares out. My insurance company tells me this is normal for winter driving.

View attachment 173387

Thanks
I don't do a lot of winter driving but I did spend 5 weeks in CO this winter and my blue tesla does not have any sort of similar damage. I can't say if you can use my experience as a definitive measure but I would try to get better answers than you've been given.

View attachment 173387

Thanks

Did the body shop call it "rock chip damage"? It looks like it could possibly be water stains / etching into the clearcoat from slurry and salt kicked up by the truck and traffic during transport. If shallow depth, then dual action polishing will take care of it easily. If more severe, then may need sanding followed by polish.

I cannot speculate why you have received those chips. But it is sad. However, after viewing many early Model S trade ins at my local service center it did become apparent to me that Xpel (or similar brand) protective coatings were the way to go, especially on a dark car.

The nosecone, front hood, front bumper and two side rearview mirrors take the most punishment and should be protected.
In second place is the L&R front fenders, L&R rear fenders and rear bumper and above the windshield at the roofline. These areas receive tire siping (siping are the fine cut channels in the outer edge of the tire) rock chips.
In third place are the 4 side doors.
Due to wind vortex, the rear hatch vertical area really does get quite dusty and filthy and due to cleaning and washing shows swirls.

To make matters somewhat more problematic, it appears that Tesla Motors uses a light grey primer coat on the S which shows very clearly any chips of the primary paint color (especially on dark colors).

Did the body shop call it "rock chip damage"? It looks like it could possibly be water stains / etching into the clearcoat from slurry and salt kicked up by the truck and traffic during transport. If shallow depth, then dual action polishing will take care of it easily. If more severe, then may need sanding followed by polish.

Yes they called it rock chip damage/sand blasting. You can feel the larger spots are holes with your fingernail.

I don't do a lot of winter driving but I did spend 5 weeks in CO this winter and my blue tesla does not have any sort of similar damage. I can't say if you can use my experience as a definitive measure but I would try to get better answers than you've been given.

Thanks for the input.

Did you drive on gravelly or sandy roads? If so for how long and would you be willing to post a photo?

Thanks again.

Whatever did it, it happened at speed. It does seem to be rockblasted by fine sharp gravel. But at that location and angle it's hard to imagine how it could have happened. Maybe the front wheel threw up a plume which the flare-out caught.

I suggest having the quarterpanel repainted (at any good shop) with actual Tesla paint which you buy from Tesla. And after at least 30 days for the paint to harden, Scotchgard Pro 2. Definitely would have prevented this.