Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI & AP improvement wishes/suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UI and AP suggestions. Perhaps some of these are already present, and I am just unaware of them...
  • Gestures to minimize and/or close open screens on the UI. Don't make me tap a small "X" while driving. Swiping down with several fingers would be much easier and safer.
  • Auto zoom on map when approaching turn or lane recommendations
  • Show the next turn info on the left screen above the car animation (as it's displayed when something on the right is full screen)
  • Traffic indicators on the nav map are too thin & hard to distinguish at times. I really don't need to know what the traffic is where I presently am or where I've been, so leave that blue. Everything ahead of me? Make that just as bold of a line as my current path, but in red for the road ahead
  • Offer reroute option
  • Provide charging specific routing options, such as minimum supercharger kw, more frequent vs less frequent stops and preferred arrival SOC
  • Intermediate stops (I know, I know, Elon. Two weeks away)

• Autopilot: the ability to temporarily "hug" one side of a lane by applying slight pressure to the steering wheel (but not enough to disengage AP) in either direction. When releasing, recenter car between lanes. This would be helpful for passing larger vehicles such as tractor trailers
  • Autopilot: when in the right lane and passing by a merging onramp do not try to center the vehicle between the far right line of the merging onramp and the left lane line. There has to be a way to use the mapping info to know the break in the right line is due to a merging lane, so just maintain distance from the left lane marker
  • Autopilot: I look like a bleeping Christmas tree coming down the highway at night. High beams on, then off, on, off, on, off, on, off. I get that AP needs them on at night, especially with Vision only cars. But I'm certain on my last trip I had to send someone into an epileptic seizure with my lights flashing like they were. Perhaps a little less sensitivity on the oncoming lights, eh?

I think it would be nice if all the text/icons on the top of the screen had a black background, similar to when you bring up the repeater cams... Most of the time, a lot of that text will have a bright white background, and some of that text is grey, making it damn near impossible to read.

Would also be nice if the navigation would tell you which lane to use when turning. At the same time, make the icons show the correct direction. Often times, when the left two lanes turn left, it will show to use the left two lanes, but it always shows the lanes as going straight, even tho they are turning only lanes... Would also be nice, if it correctly counts the number of travel lanes.

Would also be nice if after you complete a turn, it announces the distance to the next turn, like Google/Waze do. This is especially important to figure out which lane you need to be in after you complete a turn, since the nav doesn't tell you which lane to use for the turn.

Autopilot: I look like a bleeping Christmas tree coming down the highway at night. High beams on, then off, on, off, on, off, on, off. I get that AP needs them on at night, especially with Vision only cars. But I'm certain on my last trip I had to send someone into an epileptic seizure with my lights flashing like they were. Perhaps a little less sensitivity on the oncoming lights, eh?
One thing with the high beams is they don't seem to care at all about whether there is a car in front of you. I've always thought it was rude to follow someone with your brights on, but here I am following people with the brights on.

Reactions: artnalex
One thing with the high beams is they don't seem to care at all about whether there is a car in front of you. I've always thought it was rude to follow someone with your brights on, but here I am following people with the brights on.
At night, it's almost reflex for me... When I click on AP, I push the headlight stick to disable Auto-Highbeam before it has a chance to toggle the highbeams on. Autopilot will work fine with just lowbeams.

As far as following people with brights... I have a feeling it's becuase when a car is far enough ahead, the cameras can't see the car anymore, so doesn't know there is a car in front of you.

Exactly the problem I was having. The car in front of me, maybe 200 yards or so, and my high beams kept going on.

At night, it's almost reflex for me... When I click on AP, I push the headlight stick to disable Auto-Highbeam before it has a chance to toggle the highbeams on. Autopilot will work fine with just lowbeams.

As far as following people with brights... I have a feeling it's becuase when a car is far enough ahead, the cameras can't see the car anymore, so doesn't know there is a car in front of you.
Pretty sure the high beams are a requirement for vision only cars. I don’t think they’re a way to override it

Pretty sure the high beams are a requirement for vision only cars. I don’t think they’re a way to override it
Nope, you absolutely can. You just can't turn it off in the menu, but you can override it each time you turn on AP. When you turn on AP at night, a grey (A) emblem appears with your headlights, but if you quickly push on the headlight stick, the grey (A) disappears, and only the lowbeams will stay on. The highbeams will not turn on, unless you push the headlight stalk again.

Just to clarify... This is how auto highbeams work on the Y... When enabled, it means when you toggle the brights, the car will automatically turn on brights when OK, and turn them off when not OK... That is ALL it means... When it is disabled, it means when you toggle the brights, the highbeams will turn on and stay on... The Auto setting ONLY modifies the behavior of the lights when the brights are toggled. If you don't toggle brights, the auto setting does not do anything. AP just happens to automatically toggle the brights at night, and also will not let you disable auto... But you can still manually toggle the lights.

So with regards to AP... When you turn on AP, and you go to the menu, you cannot disable auto highbeam... But that only means whenever you toggle on the brights, it will be in Auto... So when you engage AP at night, just hit the headlight stalk, and it will go back to lowbeam.... You aren't disabling anything, and you aren't overriding anything.

Last edited:
Great ideas @eleven24, agree with all of them. I'd love to be able to adjust position slightly while remaining on AP. Also, if I signal to change lanes then just let me go for a second without disengaging and having to reengage AP.

Agree there's too much swiping and tapping, especially in the MYP where it's, ahem... rather difficult to keep one's finger steady.

Spotify needs to work as well as it does on every other platform. Make everything a link. If I tap an artist/album in a playlist, take me to that artist/album instead of doing nothing at all.

Great ideas @eleven24, agree with all of them. I'd love to be able to adjust position slightly while remaining on AP. Also, if I signal to change lanes then just let me go for a second without disengaging and having to reengage AP.
Exactly. This is how my other car works... When you tap the signal, not only does it signal 3 blinks, it also lets you override all the lane keep assist and such for a few seconds, without deactivating anything.

I don't know why you can't turn on/off the headlights with voice controls... Or switch from Day/Night mode of the display thru voice controls... There are times when at dusk and/or raining, the auto headlights don't turn on the headlights ... Fumbling thru the display UI to manually turn on the lights is dumb. Likewise when it's dusk, and the display is set to Auto, but is still shining bright like it's daytime.... Voice controls for these would be nice.

Autopilot: the ability to temporarily "hug" one side of a lane by applying slight pressure to the steering wheel (but not enough to disengage AP) in either direction. When releasing, recenter car between lanes. This would be helpful for passing larger vehicles such as tractor trailers
I know I replied to your message already but just noticed this one.

I would absolutely love if I could subtly steer the car to pick which lane the car goes into when the lane I am in splits. Or at the very least if it were a setting. Most of the time if I’m on autopilot I’m going to want to go into the right lane but the default is the left which is frustrating.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev

I would absolutely love if I could subtly steer the car to pick which lane the car goes into when the lane I am in splits. Or at the very least if it were a setting. Most of the time if I’m on autopilot I’m going to want to go into the right lane but the default is the left which is frustrating.
I'm not sure it's as simple as a default. When I've been in a left lane on the highway and an HOV lane suddenly starts to the left, the car gets confused for a second and then confidently merges back right to stay in the original lane once it sees the new lines.

Reactions: Ogre

+1 this (except I typically want the left) I've never left it long enough to see which lane it picks. Usually it aims for the middle and I have to pull the wheel cancelling the autosteer before people think I'm driving like an idiot.

Reactions: Ogre