Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Budget 11 March 2020 - VAT Change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1
Wonder how difficult it would be to adapt a lamp post?
Obvs the lamp posts right on the road side and not the other side of the footpath - although we may become a nation of hurdle jumpers if we did.

No need to wonder. Up to last year there were already more than a thousand lamp post charge points in London ... it obviously works! Google will come up with the details.

Almost exactly this. They change the sodium for an LED with a lower light output and a reflector that doesn't light up the sky. enough energy saving for most lamps to be changed well before the end of the sodium bulbs lifetime.

Thanks. How many AMP / kW does that leave "spare" for car charging? Perhaps its based on / shared "all along the street" rather than having a low-ish power limit per lamppost?

Almost exactly this. They change the sodium for an LED with a lower light output and a reflector that doesn't light up the sky. enough energy saving for most lamps to be changed well before the end of the sodium bulbs lifetime.

I don't think the saving would be significant enough to account for enough spare power to make worthwhile charge on an EV. Quick Google, maybe a 150W saving? Nothing on the EV charging scale of things. iirc, a typical street lamp, irrespective of lamp technology, was good for around 2kW so maybe 6 miles/hour - easy coverage of an average daily commute..

I don't think the saving would be significant enough to account for enough spare power to make worthwhile charge on an EV. Quick Google, maybe a 150W saving? Nothing on the EV charging scale of things. iirc, a typical street lamp, irrespective of lamp technology, was good for around 2kW so maybe 6 miles/hour - easy coverage of an average daily commute..

Many lampposts on the street and not so many EV cars ... yet.
So maybe a reasonable number of kW saved on a short street-length.

However I would have thought the cable to the streetlamp was a decent ampere-age, or it is ducted and they can pull-through a new heavier cable. Hence a decent 7kw or 11kw per lamppost made available once upgraded. Neat !!