Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Budget 11 March 2020 - VAT Change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to invest in the charging infrastructure

No. If you are considering lobbying your MPs/political parties etc, please don't ask for general investment in infrastructure!

The reasons I say that are that on the one hand EV charging is now an investable business and there are plenty of commercial operators already, and on the other hand Government have shown that they are really bad at doing it - past government investment in public charging has wasted a lot of money on poor quality provision.

What we do need is for Goverment to do things that only they can do by removing obstacles preventing the people who already have the money from getting on and doing the job. My priorities would be:
  • Regulation to empower people living in rented or leasehold property to install home charging. At present, landlords can just say "no" because they can't be bothered (likewise for management companies in blocks of flats etc). This is a significant impediment to EV uptake, and can be solved without significant extra expense. Some parts of the USA already have stuff like this.
  • Some combination of regulation and subsidy to solve the problem of getting new electricity supplies particularly in rural areas - both the cost and the time taken. Something like the code powers granted to phone companies may be needed to resolve the wayleave issue, and something to resolve the cost issue where a new supply requires you to pay not only for the connection itself but also reinforcement of the network if there doesn't happen to be spare capacity. Without this we will still have charging deserts (eg. Wales).
  • Activate the powers they took under the Automated and Electric Vehicles act to require contactless bank cards to be accepted at rapid chargepoints.

I am due to collect my car on the afternoon of 11th March. If the VAT cut is announced I will seriously consider cancelling the order. A £10k saving is not to be sniffed at.

Out of touch when the budget is, but Tesla seem to (and I have personally experienced this) in a round about way*, honour price cuts on orders, and honour old pricing when prices rise.

* they effectively revalue every at then current 'book' price. If new book price is higher than old, you get your original price, otherwise you get the new discounted price. In reality, this means that you may lose previously discounted pricing, but you will still pay less or same than your previous order. An example was early £1000 FSD discount. When price cut came in, the new FSD price was used losing# the discount, but the overall price cut more than offset the FSD discount. Another example was swap of 'free' colour from black to white. Some suddenly ended up paying £xxx for their 'free' black colour, but this was offset by discount, while some swapped from black to white. Those that originally paid £££ for white were even more happy as they got a double discount. # as an example of not all Tesla rules being applied equally, some allegedly still managed to keep their fsd discount and benefit from discount too.

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood
I doubt it will be implemented as demand is already there and they won't want to give up another 20%

Yes, clearly much of the motivation for some to move to EV is cost savings. So I doubt that the government will incentivise even more considering how well current incentives seem to work. Also, I doubt VAT would instantly change - see 'Tampon tax' argument.

I could see the VED additional cost being adjusted for EV - possibly a shift in the point where it is applied (maybe, finger in air, £5k?) - likely to only benefit some SR+ vehicles though. But possibly not retrospectively. However if EV grant reduced £1k, that would have the same effect, so maybe one should be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Out of touch when the budget is, but Tesla seem to (and I have personally experienced this) in a round about way*, honour price cuts on orders, and honour old pricing when prices rise.
Thanks for the info.

Budget is on the 11th March at 12.30pm. I am due to collect my car by 5pm the same afternoon. If the VAT cut is announced I will be on the phone to Tesla straight away to clarify the situation.

Norway is one of the richest countries with a small population ... They can afford to do that kind of thing.

The Norwegian government stuffed their North Sea Oil tax revenues into a Sovereign Wealth Fund, whereas our government squandered it.

Then scale it back as they see price differences narrow

personally I think there is a case for not doing that. Putting a price on the "harm" of Oil, and what it will then cost, long term, to fix means that subsidising EVs to the point where no one will buy an ICE may well be the best Pound that government could spend. They aren't renowned for making decisions on that basis, but are sadly much more influenced by lobbying and party-donations.

Taycan and Model S/X owners would save tens of thousands. Do those people really need help to buy those cars?

I changed from a Golf Blue-Motion to a Model-S because no other EV had the range for the journeys I do. Would you rather I was driving around in an ICE for 30,000 miles a year, or an EV? The assumption that people who pay way more tax than the average person should forgo any help, and instead face a further financial penalty, is wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: x-rm and Blueskye
Thanks for the info.

Budget is on the 11th March at 12.30pm. I am due to collect my car by 5pm the same afternoon. If the VAT cut is announced I will be on the phone to Tesla straight away to clarify the situation.
If there are any tax changes announced in the budget the earliest they can come into effect is 6pm on budget day, so after you’ve collected your car...

Talk about bad timing!

Reactions: pharwood
I went out to PC World and bought all the Norton Anti Virus they had in stock today.
I'm going to put them on Amazon for £500 each.
2ff56bf8-ab83-440a-bb7b-4c8d8c86a99c.jpeg