Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All much more complex than I'm asking for, just a simple stop charging at xx:xx if still charging at that time.

Absolutely agree, but your "just" brings all those issues to light.

Power Cut and desired SOC% not reached (assuming you are still asleep and carrying on charging would have been your preference, because on that day you need the expected range)

The times when you want to charge extra (or even just the SOC% expected at that time) and it isn't achieved because of the STOP limit (e.g. you forgot to cancel, or it was cold that night)

Also probably frustrating when you do remember to cancel the STOP on such an occasion, and then forgot to reinstate it on subsequent nights and wind up charging at Peak Tariff

I have no answers, just perceive complexity, and having personally fallen foul of all of those then in the situation where my charging would normally be done before Off Peak finished my preference is to just let it carry on, at Peak, on the rare occasions when it overruns. I am presuming that for most people the Off Peak period IS long enough to charge their car on most occasions (otherwise ... Natch! they are using more than they are charging ...).

As always, I am sure there are some exceptions.

I am certainly not adverse to Tesla adding it ... no idea why they haven't, but maybe a reason is because of perceived user complaints of "I didn't get the charge I wanted because it stopped charging at 4AM [as I set it to ...]"

it hardly ever needs to stop a charge

So what would it cost you to let it carry on?

Its the marginal price difference between Off Peak and Peak TIMES the number of kWh you overrun (in, say, a month)

For me I reckon it is about 10kWh a month. Lets assume Off / On Peak of 5p and 15p, so those 10 kWh cost me 10p more than Off Peak. Its £1 a month ... and I never have the risk that I forgot to cancel the STOP on the night before I have a long journey ...

... and then I have to put those 10kWh in at a rapid charger, at 25p per kWh.

So what would it cost you to let it carry on?

Its the marginal price difference between Off Peak and Peak TIMES the number of kWh you overrun (in, say, a month)

For me I reckon it is about 10kWh a month. Lets assume Off / On Peak of 5p and 15p, so those 10 kWh cost me 10p more than Off Peak. Its £1 a month ... and I never have the risk that I forgot to cancel the STOP on the night before I have a long journey ...

... and then I have to put those 10kWh in at a rapid charger, at 25p per kWh.

You can't get enough sleep! :D

Reactions: WannabeOwner