Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how people cope with the high early evening Tariff ?

Static Battery is a solution of course, maybe dining-out is another - the Bachelor Option perhaps? :)
I just try and move as much as possible out side of the peak 4-7pm window. Works out generally cheaper overall outside of that.
Good website Home - Energy Stats UK for comparing Go and Agile tariff

53667813-A128-45E6-A41B-86DD1DD627C8.jpeg

I’ve switched to Octopus too. Even without an EV it’s cheaper than my current leccy/gas both in terms of unit costs and standing charges.

I was with Outfox the Market - only 10.1p all day, but that deal was coming to an end. The Octopus Go deal is 14.1p peak, so 40% dearer but I'd have been hard-pressed to beat that and have 5p for four hours off-peak.

Getting our Tesla and switching to Octopus will mean about £600 more per year in electricity - maybe less, but I've banked on £600. We're now running the dishwasher off-peak and some of the laundry washing as well, though this might only save £30-odd a year.

I just try and move as much as possible out side of the peak 4-7pm window.

I haven't done any sums, but seems pretty difficult with cooking the evening meal. Personally we could delay the start of that until 7PM (in fact it probably is usually after that), but I wonder if that is common? Our kids have sprung the nest ...

We're now running the dishwasher off-peak and some of the laundry washing as well, though this might only save £30-odd a year.

Although not much £ for you the planet is happier :)

Reactions: vitesse
I haven't done any sums, but seems pretty difficult with cooking the evening meal. Personally we could delay the start of that until 7PM (in fact it probably is usually after that), but I wonder if that is common? Our kids have sprung the nest ...

Although not much £ for you the planet is happier :)

A bit of a moan about dishwashers! Our nice AEG broke in the summer so I replaced it with a NEFF that looked nigh-on identical (I'm sure they are made in the same factory).

The 7-year old AEG had a nice programmable time you could set to half-hourly intervals as a start time, so 00:30 - easy-peasy. The NEFF only offers 3 hour intervals from the current time! grrr.

Remembering to set the timer at around 21:30 is a right pain!!!

The washing machine (LG) is also a pain - you set the finish time, not the start. But the programme never finishes when it estimates it will :(

I'm curious how people cope with the high early evening Tariff ?

Static Battery is a solution of course, maybe dining-out is another - the Bachelor Option perhaps? :)
My meter readings started showing up on 25/09 since then my stats are as follows (I am on the Go tariff)

562kWh used total
204kWh used during Go off peak
46kWh used during 4-7PM
Agile from 4-7PM would have been £4.08 dearer than Go
As a total Agile would have been £10.81 cheaper

I do have a gas cooker though

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
My meter readings started showing up on 25/09 since then my stats are as follows (I am on the Go tariff)

562kWh used total
204kWh used during Go off peak
46kWh used during 4-7PM
Agile from 4-7PM would have been £4.08 dearer than Go
As a total Agile would have been £10.81 cheaper

Agile FTW. Especially when the price plunges. Nearly did on the 11th.

I haven't done any sums, but seems pretty difficult with cooking the evening meal.

Got an induction cooker, so if I use all of it, which is unlikely, for an hour I'd use 2 kwh. so 30p vs 14p only really looking at maybe ~20-30p extra during that time period. However, the rest of the time I'd be saving.

Once I have the smart meter installed I can look at the average daily consumption and go from there.

The powerloop concept is also very interesting - it's an old concept, but first time I see it actually being trialed outside of a Tesla Powerwall

https://www.octopusev.com/powerloop

Essentially If I get a Tesla powerwall with agile I'd benefit from that, but at £7.5k it would never return on investment....

Currently I use about £500 a year on electricity, now with a Tesla I probably use an additional £50/month, so £600 extra. If I "saved" that entire amount it would still take 12 and a half years. Which is "wil probably sell the house" and "there wont be power peaks by then as everyone will have an EV" territory.

But if you can use the car, which you have already, that's different.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The NEFF only offers 3 hour intervals from the current time! grrr.

How Shiiiite is that ... How do these moron "usability testers" come up with such rubbish. And JUST the sort of thing you only find after purchase and JUST the sort of thing that makes you never buy anything from that company every again and JUST the sort of thing to make you tell all your Internet Mates AVOID (Thanks for that :) )

Ah! You and most of the country of course. I'm out in the sticks here so didn't consider that, thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: vitesse
Got an induction cooker, so if I use all of it, which is unlikely, for an hour I'd use 2 kwh. so 30p vs 14p only really looking at maybe ~20-30p extra during that time period. However, the rest of the time I'd be saving.

Once I have the smart meter installed I can look at the average daily consumption and go from there.

The powerloop concept is also very interesting - it's an old concept, but first time I see it actually being trialed outside of a Tesla Powerwall

https://www.octopusev.com/powerloop

Essentially If I get a Tesla powerwall with agile I'd benefit from that, but at £7.5k it would never return on investment....

Currently I use about £500 a year on electricity, now with a Tesla I probably use an additional £50/month, so £600 extra. If I "saved" that entire amount it would still take 12 and a half years. Which is "wil probably sell the house" and "there wont be power peaks by then as everyone will have an EV" territory.

But if you can use the car, which you have already, that's different.
Given the reputation Nissan have for battery degradation I think I'd be reluctant to do anything to add additional stress if I had a leaf. Now when Elons million mile battery arrives, then I'm all in!

why does the planet care if you run your dishwasher peak or off peak?

My assumption is that there is spare capacity on Off Peak, so a device on a timer will be using that. At Peak more devices needing power may force Peaker Plants to be started to meet demand (the "Adverts dual a TV Soap" power-surge conundrum)

That should also hold true of future Time-of-Use tariffs too - if e.g. Wind is in excess and being curtailed then price will fall. Might be a bit hard to run Dishwasher though if the TOU metering is in 30 minute segments ...

I'm confused? why does the planet care if you run your dishwasher peak or off peak? is there more non renewable power during peak? given that the sun does not shine at night during off peak I not know that was a thing?

In the UK, most renewable power is wind rather than solar, and it's most likely to be surplus at night. Different strategies might apply in sunnier latitudes.

But also, not all fossil power is equal. In times of extreme grid load, they start up open-cycle gas turbines - which are very quick to start, and quite cheap to build, but very inefficient. Otherwise, there's combined-cycle gas plants which are much more efficient, but achieve their best efficiency if they are running at constant load. Likewise things like coal plants that take a long time to warm up from cold before they start generating power. So having any of these started up (or throttled up to a higher level) just to cover the peak hours has an efficiency cost; and lower efficiency = more fossil fuel burned to deliver the same amount of energy. So the closer we can get to constant demand throughout the day/night the better.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
How Shiiiite is that ... How do these moron "usability testers" come up with such rubbish. And JUST the sort of thing you only find after purchase and JUST the sort of thing that makes you never buy anything from that company every again and JUST the sort of thing to make you tell all your Internet Mates AVOID (Thanks for that :) ).

For the sake of public service I should note that our Bosch dishwasher also has the same Neff-esque timer set up of 3 hour delay increments. Which means setting it at 21:30 to start at 00:30 to hit the Octopus off peak rate.

In my defence when the dishwasher was acquired, a Tesla and off peak energy was not remotely on the agenda.