Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: Essential charging attachments?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve used a granny charger exclusively since December and it’s worked fine. If we do a really big travel day then it might take 2 days to get back to charge target but it can put enough in overnight to more than handle our average days.

There are some safety downsides to the granny charger in that they may stress your house wiring and expose pre-existing weaknesses because they draw a lot of power for a long period, and there are also scenarios where they may not be earthed effectively which are I only relevant in fairly obscure circumstances but are real.

I'd only buy the commando adaptor for your granny charger if you're likely to need it. All the public AC chargers that I've seen have been type 2, I only use my commando adaptor when I'm charging on the small industrial sites that I visit with work. I think it's frowned on to use the hook ups on caravan sites for charging a car as it can overload the supply and is beyond fair use.

I think it's frowned on to use the hook ups on caravan sites for charging a car as it can overload the supply and is beyond fair use.
If the supply is metered as a lot are these days and you dial the amps down then it's fine. Just check first how much it is per kwh as it may be cheaper to use a public charger, e.g Podpoint at 28p