Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK firm to launch 'world's most power-dense' EV motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was not Equipmake that used those units. It's the
www.autocar.co.uk
Notice UK in that address. Some say they still ride horses.

Also you guys start with Metrics before barking on neighbours.
This forum is Imperial based s**t. Mostly.:D

Equipmake announces the world's most power-dense electric motor
Better source.
Well, that is indeed a better source. At least the wrong terminology (bhp = brake horsepower, which is nonsense on a standalone motor with no car or brakes attached) is absent.

However, the company's claims are still highly suspect. Namely, they claim a motor with 20kW/kg of output as being " four times as much power as a similarly sized permanent magnet motor". Then destroy their own argument by stating that the Model S 6-year old motor is 8.4 kW/kg (which is only a factor of 2.4, not 4). And they obviously don't want to compare to the Model 3 motor, which is newer and more efficient. And the Equipmake electric motor can only get heavier when components/structures, reinforcement required for real-world application/installation at high powers are included in the Equipmake weight numbers. On balance, I don't think this is going to be the breakthrough that is being implied.

BTW, I wasn't criticizing the term "hp" as a unit (although I certainly could). I was commenting on the unit "brake hp". And just to seal the deal, I actually live in a country using the metric system, so you can stop the "you guys" nonsense. Also, remember that Tesla, the world leader in EV technology, was started in a country still using the "backward" Imperial system of measurement.