Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 - OLEV EVHS and Tesla Home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I ordered my UK Model 3 already and am attempting to get a charger so I can be ready when it arrives.

A few questions that I hope you all can answer.

1. Why doesn't Tesla apply for its charger to be covered under the OLEV scheme?

2. Given that all new installations of a home charger after 30/6/19 need to be 'smart' chargers, I assume the Tesla charger will be obsolete. Are they having a flash sale of them?

3. Why isn't the Model 3 on the list of approved vehicles so I can get the £500 OLEV home charger grant?

Thanks.

No idea what OLEV is as I am in the US, but I would be shocked if the tesla home wall connector does not qualify under whatever law you are talking about for "smart chargers" for a tesla.

For one, its the Original equipment solution from the manufacturer.
For two, the CHARGER is in the car, not on the wall. The third party solutions that have wifi etc in them might be nice, but wifi in your wall connector is not needed for operation, and does not improve efficiency of the device (so I can not imagine that some government agency mandated that it had to be there).

No idea why tesla is not on whatever list that gives you that 500 pound rebate. Give it time, it likely will be on there. How long has it been available there?

Given that all new installations of a home charger after 30/6/19 need to be 'smart' chargers, I assume the Tesla charger will be obsolete. Are they having a flash sale of them?
You're making reference to some kind of policy we've generally not heard of, so it's hard to respond to it usefully. Could you post a link to an article or announcement of some kind about it, so we can see what it really says?

I just read through that document and the page it links to about the EVHS program, but that is saying something entirely different.

That is describing how it needs to comply with that if you want your installed charging device to be eligible to receive the reimbursement from the EVHS grant program.

That is an entirely different thing than the statement:
Given that all new installations of a home charger after 30/6/19 need to be 'smart' chargers, I assume the Tesla charger will be obsolete

(Emphasis mine on the word need.) This statement doesn't seem to be true. They don't "need' to be smart chargers. Everyone is still welcome to keep installing non-smart chargers. They just can't get the grant money for them, since they don't meet those qualifications. So don't start with a false premise and then ask people to respond to that.

I just read through that document and the page it links to about the EVHS program, but that is saying something entirely different.

That is describing how it needs to comply with that if you want your installed charging device to be eligible to receive the reimbursement from the EVHS grant program.

That is an entirely different thing than the statement:

(Emphasis mine on the word need.) This statement doesn't seem to be true. They don't "need' to be smart chargers. Everyone is still welcome to keep installing non-smart chargers. They just can't get the grant money for them, since they don't meet those qualifications. So don't start with a false premise and then ask people to respond to that.
Fair enough. I'd like the £500 assistance though. The Model 3 was OLEV approved as a vehicle capable of the home charge grant on 22/May 2019

Fair enough. I'd like the £500 assistance though. The Model 3 was OLEV approved as a vehicle capable of the home charge grant on 22/May 2019

I wouldn't hold your breath in them making the Wall Connector smart. They really focused on cheap.
They have chaining on them for multi-Tesla set-ups, but that's it.
They're more likely to make the cars smart.

Given that European Teslas have Type 2 sockets, you should have plenty of other options.