Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model Y owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally took delivery of my Model Y after some 'fun' from Tesla around delivery - the first vehicle was written off the day before delivery....

I have two questions about the charging and the battery. I could not necessarily find a Model Y owners thread, only delivery. Sorry if I missed it (feel free to move/merge/delete).

1.) What level do people set their max battery charges to? I thought the newer cars can be set at 100% is this still correct?

2.) I have noticed that our car's charge is dropping rather quickly whilst on the drive. Lost 30+ miles overnight. We have set up Sentry mode though set it to off whilst at home address - does this still suck the battery?

cheers all

1 - only the Model 3 RWD can be charged to 100% constantly because it has the LFP battery. Yours is Lithium and should be kept between 20-90% ideally, certainly don't let it sit at 100% for any length of time but charging to that for trips etc is fine, just try to use it as quickly as possibly after it reaches 100%

2 - sentry mode does suck the battery, i don't use it at home for that reason. Check it really is off at home as it sounds like it isn't.

Last edited:
1 - only the Model 3 RWD can be charged to 100% constantly because it has the LFP battery. Yours in Lithium and should be kept between 20-90% ideally, certainly don't let it sit at 100% for any length of time but charging to that for trips etc is fine, just try to use it as quickly as possibly after it reaches 100%

2 - sentry mode does suck the battery, i don't use it at home for that reason. Check it really is off at home as it sounds like it isn't.
Excellent thank you - I will make the changes to the charge level.

I need to do more digging on the charge decreases.

One more question (sorry new to Tesla); I used a Supercharger on the day of delivery and then got an email from Tesla saying I have been blocked as no payment method on the account - yet within the Wallet section of the app I have an AMEX. Is this just a timing issue?

We’re My owners three weeks in.
Sentry mode eats ~1% an hour and the cold adds to the drain. We don’t use sentry at home.

We charge our MY to 60% as that’s more than enough range for our daily needs. ~ 180miles We may drop it to 50%. We charge at home and in a pinch (emergency trip) there are fast chargers near us that can get it to 100% in about 40 mins. Or a Tesla v3 charger on our route down south and 50-60% will get us to it comfortably.

We have the luxury of parking in the garage so no need for sentry mode. Make sure that you don’t keep checking the app as that wakes the car up. Use the Tesla widget as that will show you “last seen” which shows its asleep.

If you search on this forum you’ll find a lot of people discussing battery. Some say enjoy the car and don’t worry and others nannying their battery. However, have a search as it’s interesting reading as some owners have taken this battery care discussion to pure geekdom!

I can’t remember the user on here but he keeps his around 30-40% as it never drops below 20% by the time he gets home and he’s had barely any degradation after 2 years.

We use the % indicator as miles/range is not a good source of truth for us in Scotland. Heating the car in cold weather drains the battery. If you’re use to the battery indicator on your phone it’s an easy way to get used to how much charge you need.

I would recommend not worrying as you’ll get used to it.

I need to do more digging on the charge decreases.

You could have a look at TeslaFi if "data" is your sort of thing. It will log the car's data every minute (every 30 seconds when driving I think), and of the loads of things it logs you should be able to see when it is sleeping / not, and anything that is using juice.

If you use a referral you get month trial instead of two weeks. You can use my username if you don't have a better offer.

We charge our MY to 60% as that’s more than enough range for our daily needs

I've read loads of threads, over the years, about best battery charging strategy etc. and I have come to the conclusion that there is so little in it might as well charge to 80% or 90%. I only charge to 100% shortly before "trips", and I always charge immediately on arrival (rather than waiting for overnight cheap rate) if below 20%, but that's it.

First car I had did 95K miles in 3.5 years, was supercharged at least twice a month, had the 90-battery (arguable the worst chemistry Tesla have had) and lost 6% range.

in a pinch (emergency trip) there are fast chargers near us

For me, in that situation, I wouldn't want to have to stop and charge ...

he’s had barely any degradation after 2 years.

Seems improbable to me (or an outlier) as I would expect a brand new battery to have some loss of range early in its life. But I'm no expert.

Reactions: teaston
Teslafi is what many people use but you can also use Teslamate which is free and self hosted so in theory more secure. (I have a personal downer on Teslafi as I tried to do some basic checks on them as a company and found virtually no information, you can't find a contact address, you don't even know what country they operate out of, but I know others like them, just do some research first on security).

For charging don't do many miles so I let mine happily slowly decrease over a few days/week and charge up only when I know I'm going to need a lot the next day or when it's dropped below about 45%. You don't need to be a slave to it. Overall my car is generally in the 40-70% state of charge which is where batteries are most comfortable. Part of the reason is BMS calibration which can drift and appear as degradation. Don't worry about that either, its the type of thing you can look into if you become worried your car has lost loads of range. On a related note, your car will never show the rated range because of a bunch of technical factors, the biggest one the display is based on the US rating system, not the one we use.

Sentry mode, just to pick up on what a few others have said, you can automatically have it turn off at home and/or work, although these locations do need to be set in the Nav. If you live somewhere fairly safe and/or have CCTV outside your house you might not need it anyway.

Other than repeatedly charging an NCA battery to 100% there isn't much you can do that will harm the battery, charging to 60% or 80% doesn't seem to make any difference. Personally I would rather have a little more than what I need available for unexpected trips.

The Model Y doesn't yet have a version that used the LFP type battery, that's the one that should be charged to 100% weekly.

What most call 'degredation' is often largely miscalibration of the BMS, this will happen if the battery is kept at just a fairly narrow range of SoC, e.g. being recharged to 80% every night. It's not doing any harm, and using it differently will reverse it. If I look at my TeslaFi Battery Report ..

1648377632072.png

Realistically after the first 10K miles it's just a wavey line caused by BMS calibration, unsurprising as my use has been fairly sporadic. In the last 6 months it's been as low at 280, and as high as 298. That's a 6% variance against a 7% loss.

If I look at my TeslaFi Battery Report .. That's a 6% variance against a 7% loss.

In case of interest ... I charge to 100% when I'm going somewhere distant (which, unless something has changed?, rebalances the cells). Tends to be once every month or two.

Using the filter on the TeslaFi Battery report to restrict to 100% charges gives me a much less wiggly line. Also changes the degradation from 8% on the wiggly line (worst case) to 5% on the "balanced" line.

TeslaDegredation.gif

No idea why the scale is different, I just changed the Percentage, and left the Start/End dates alone ... That was the 90-battery chemistry, which wasn't great.

So after < 1 week of ownership we had 1 Keyed light fitting (the right side equivalent of a port cover), and someone was going to key our bonnet.
Thinking of getting cosmetic insurance as we can claim upto 18 times.
Anyone else experienced this?

We’re My owners three weeks in.
Sentry mode eats ~1% an hour and the cold adds to the drain. We don’t use sentry at home.

We charge our MY to 60% as that’s more than enough range for our daily needs. ~ 180miles We may drop it to 50%. We charge at home and in a pinch (emergency trip) there are fast chargers near us that can get it to 100% in about 40 mins. Or a Tesla v3 charger on our route down south and 50-60% will get us to it comfortably.

We have the luxury of parking in the garage so no need for sentry mode. Make sure that you don’t keep checking the app as that wakes the car up. Use the Tesla widget as that will show you “last seen” which shows its asleep.

If you search on this forum you’ll find a lot of people discussing battery. Some say enjoy the car and don’t worry and others nannying their battery. However, have a search as it’s interesting reading as some owners have taken this battery care discussion to pure geekdom!

I can’t remember the user on here but he keeps his around 30-40% as it never drops below 20% by the time he gets home and he’s had barely any degradation after 2 years.

We use the % indicator as miles/range is not a good source of truth for us in Scotland. Heating the car in cold weather drains the battery. If you’re use to the battery indicator on your phone it’s an easy way to get used to how much charge you need.

I would recommend not worrying as you’ll get used to it.
Sentry shouldn’t use anywhere near 1% per hour! I left my M3 in a busy airport carpark with sentry on for a week in November, it used 7% per day.

It was around 4c during the night and about 10c during the day. The car was humming all the time. I can only assume that it was warming the battery as well as running the cameras.
sounds more like camp mode than sentry that will use that much but sentry on its own no way Not an M3 anyway. If your car is using that much even with sentry whatever the temp then there is something wrong with it. Car does not warm the battery unless you tell it to preheat. fan can run to cool the cpu. but sentry should not require that normally. MY has a more powerful Ryzen CPU for the entertainment system surely its not that?
There was one person on here with a main CPU that was running too hot who complained of the fan running all the time and it was a fault. Not an My though. If yours is normal though and using 1% on sentry that is insane and almost unusable.