Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Newbie Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

This is my first post here, please be gentle...

I am seriously contemplating buying a Model 3 Long Range, but I have a couple of questions.

1. What's the typical tyre life? Do owners routinely rotate their wheels? (I've never bothered to do this in 45 years of driving, but I've never owned an AWD vehicle before).

2. What's a good charging point to buy in the UK? I've heard that the Tesla unit doesn't attract the £500 government grant.

Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

Hi,

I am seriously contemplating buying a Model 3 Long Range, but I have a couple of questions.

1. What's the typical tyre life? Do owners routinely rotate their wheels? (I've never bothered to do this in 45 years of driving, but I've never owned an AWD vehicle before).

2. What's a good charging point to buy in the UK? I've heard that the Tesla unit doesn't attract the £500 government grant.

To your first question, seriously? It’s even more important to rotate tires if you don’t have AWD. Jeez.

A good charging point? Your car should come with the mobile charger or you can install Tesla’s own wall connector.

In the UK I previously installed an EO mini pro for my i3. I just upgraded to a M3 but will keep the EO charge point.

the only benefit for me to upgrade would be if I had the electrics to support multi-phase charging, but most UK address will only support single phase without a very costly upgrade.

I recommend EO and the installation company Mr Charger, the price was £495 with grant. If Tesla is no more expensive I might have gone for a Tesla.

Hi,

Welcome to TMC!

Since tire life (tyre life) depends at least partially depends on the roads you drive on, and you are asking about charging in the UK, I suggest you ask UK specific questions in this section: The UK and Ireland

I have a newbie question :)

I was trying to fit a screen protector at lunch today, but when I sat in the passenger seat to fit it the only thing the screen would tell me is “charging complete”.

The only way I could get to any menu was by opening a door. As soon as the door was closed it would revert back to “charging complete” full screen.

I didn’t have any key card on me, but did have my phone key.

Is this normal behaviour? How can I get access to the car features from the passenger seat?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Hi John
I am a new Model 3 owner so can only speak from a limited knowledge.

Clearly tire life is very dependent on the way you drive, tire pressure (recommended 42psi) and road surfaces so I think it impossible to answer that question but I can tell you that the acceleration is so unbelievable you should allow to change tires more often than on a traditional vehicle of similar size and weight .

I ordered my Model 3 long range AWD on 1st of March (on line for delivery to Birmingham UK) and it was delivered on 25 March, incredible just 25 days and with all of the Corona virus limitations in place. I was expecting to wait 3 months but with the virus I assumed it would be more like 6 months. It's such a lovely car but not sure when I will be able to drive it.

The grant of £3500 is taken off the price so you don't have to install a charger. It charges fine off a standard 13 amp 3 pin UK plug socket taking about 24 hours to charge from empty to full. So topping up over night is so easy.

PS First post too. If you do buy one please use my referral code Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award because you will get 1000 miles of Supercharger for free and I will as well.

Hi John
I am a new Model 3 owner so can only speak from a limited knowledge.

Clearly tire life is very dependent on the way you drive, tire pressure (recommended 42psi) and road surfaces so I think it impossible to answer that question but I can tell you that the acceleration is so unbelievable you should allow to change tires more often than on a traditional vehicle of similar size and weight .

I ordered my Model 3 long range AWD on 1st of March (on line for delivery to Birmingham UK) and it was delivered on 25 March, incredible just 25 days and with all of the Corona virus limitations in place. I was expecting to wait 3 months but with the virus I assumed it would be more like 6 months. It's such a lovely car but not sure when I will be able to drive it.

The grant of £3500 is taken off the price so you don't have to install a charger. It charges fine off a standard 13 amp 3 pin UK plug socket taking about 24 hours to charge from empty to full. So topping up over night is so easy.

PS First post too. If you do buy one please use my referral code Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award because you will get 1000 miles of Supercharger for free and I will as well.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have now taken the plunge with my model 3 and I'm loving it (see my avatar photo :) ). I suspect that the AWD option is going to even out the tyre wear, so I won't have to do anything like rotating the tyres.

I've just had solar panels fitted to my roof and a Zappi V2, along with it. Prior to that I just used my local supercharger. I collected my car on 19th March, just before lockdown, so I haven't been doing much milage, just to the shops once a week and I chauffer the dog to the park most days, so a run out the the supercharger provides a nice diversion for me. In fact, I've never once used the 3 pin plug! But there's still time. One day I will be allowed to visit relatives, etc.

Good luck with the forum.

John