Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] used value of their Tesla cars plummeting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not worried as wet fueled cars are being fazed out. They’ll be a strong secondhand market for well cared for EV models like the MY during the next few years. Regardless, of newer non Tesla brands hitting the market over the coming years. Teslas charging network is reliable.

It’s a shame the Elon/Twitter noise spoils the brand IMO.
Looking at more established EV SUVs released 2018 and 2019 like iPace and Etron, they've taken a huge residual hit recently. Ballpark, just like ICE cars at about 50% drop after 3 years.

Newer SUVs like MY, Skoda Enyaq and ID4 are holding up well at the moment, but likely to go the same WAY after 3 or 4 years IMO

A whole 50 cars?

That’s literally a rounding error in their sales numbers.
When you only produce 5 colours, 2 seats and 2 wheels, 50 different cars covers the range. They are hardly likely to publicise that they have 10,000 cars at Avonmouth are they?

They need to get orders for 1.9m cars this year, an increase of 800,000 from last year, to cover their anticpated production capacity. Yeah, right.....Not unless they give up at least half their current margin and even then I think it would be a stretch

Reactions: MashinBenzin
No I didn’t proceed with the Y. Still have my 3
I see. Thought you did as remember you asking about model Y wheel covers a couple of times. Did you not use make use of the 20k loan you took last year?

I fear any discounts now won't work well for you and you lost the golden era of pre price rises and high prices from the likes of WBAC. Im sure you had your reasons. Good luck :)

Looking at more established EV SUVs released 2018 and 2019 like iPace and Etron, they've taken a huge residual hit recently. Ballpark, just like ICE cars at about 50% drop after 3 years.

Newer SUVs like MY, Skoda Enyaq and ID4 are holding up well at the moment, but likely to go the same WAY after 3 or 4 years IMO
Fair. I suppose a 50% drop after three years is typical for most cars. The supply chain issues have thrown a curve ball but it will be sorted in a year or two and then I’m sure there be a big correction in used car prices. The fear of battery degradation and people believing they need a huge range on one charge will have an impact.

I’ve never been one to think of a car as an investment, so have very low expectations on used value.

I'm with @Undecided_2, I expect a drop in value and 50% is indeed about right after 3 years - but does no one consider the pleasure of having and driving the car as a value?
You've lost not a penny until the day of the sale and used prices fluctuate so much. If you bought a 2019 LR model brand new and sold last year you would have made a huge profit (circa £45K - £48K)- but back in 2019 the buyer had no idea of that and would have expected circa £20 -£25K in normal times.

I see cars as my hobby, all hobbies cost money - but hobbies bring so much joy into your life - so to me its worth it. Once I've spent that money on buying a car its gone - its dead money - forgotten about. Everything else I've bought, apart from a house brings nothing back, like a suite, or white goods, buy them, use then scrap them. Holidays - thousands of pounds and are forgotten within a month of returning home, apart from the posed photos showing your having a wonderful time, I don't like holidays as I see them as completely wasted money - no value - but each to their own
I don't buy a car to trade up and make money, I'm not trying to work towards a Veyron or Bentley, cars just satisfy my desires at the time, and pleasure always costs something money wise.

Given the state ( and cost) of public charging at this point in time I am not sure they are wrong if they plan to do regular long journeys in the UK over the next few years.
Especially, those that do not have a home charger. The government needs to remove the ridiculous 20% vat on public chargers and invest in more charging infrastructure.

However, stats that I’ve found is the average daily journey using a car in the U.K. is ~ 20 miles.

I’d happily have a 150 mile range if it charged fast and there were plenty of chargers. We do a long travel trip ~ 1500 miles once a quarter. We’re about to do in a few weeks so it’ll be interesting comparing the cost from our last trip.

Well petrol is much cheaper than super chargers for distance travel now. Needs sorting out if they want to get people switching and make it fair..

Should push back the road tax introduction to balance I feel.. but we all know they don’t do nothing..

They have the worst of both tbh. Inefficiency is crap without electric charging to balance out mpg on small journeys. Otherwise the car is just wasting petrol to lug around the motor and battery etc
I tried telling that to someone I know and they were really sold on getting electric...When he went to the dealer and they done him a very, very good deal for a new hybrid o_O. I honestly felt like telling what a muppet he was but he was my manager at the time...still told him he was silly though😬

They have the worst of both tbh. Inefficiency is crap without electric charging to balance out mpg on small journeys. Otherwise the car is just wasting petrol to lug around the motor and battery etc
Very much depends on the usage.

We ran a Golf GTE for 4 years / 36k miles.

Most usage 20-30 miles / day.

Averaged 186mpg during our ownership.

PS "...inefficiency is crap..."....surely that's a good thing?!

Yeh for small journeys they are good same as normal bevs. They aren’t good for long journeys just like bevs aren’t now due to electricity costs at rapid chargers vs petrol

I dont know what Im missing here but here is me thinking "we will agree to agree"

As for " inefficiency is crap" = thats bad.... "inefficiency is good" = thats also bad...Efficiency is crap = bad....efficiency is good= good... Its a bit of a mind boggling thing 🤣

Reactions: Whyone
Again that is a gross simplification.

If you are able to charge at home, even if you then have to use a rapid charger to complete the journey, you are almost certainly going to spend less than something using petrol or diesel.

By long journeys I mean those that need multiple charging stops where the pen home charge adds little.

Small and medium journeys still are better with home charging in the mix

Status
Not open for further replies.