Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MG4 - 5 Minute test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Just though some of you might be interested in my 5 minute take of the MG4. The dealer down the road had one on display as I passed and I thought I would take a look and a quick spin. Not looking to purchase, just curious of what I think is the first Chinese EV that might appeal to the masses.

The Model on display was the top of the line "Long Rage 77" model which I also drove. Initial impressions of the car are great, its decent looking car for sure, fits into the traditional Corolla/Golf type space. Looks are subjective of coarse, but its certainly not in my mind dorky like the BYD Atto. Back seat and front seat comfort excellent and overall build quality of the vehicle seemed pretty good, sold door shutting etc. Great news that it is RWD rather than the lazy FWD engineering.

Once we get too the boot, its 'OK' but no extra deep sub boot or anything like that, feels just like a regular ICE hatch. No frunk either or any kind, not even enough for charge cables. Interior tech however, its terrible, the UI, both in its look ands execution remind my of a cheap Chinese brand TV, no graphic artist or UI expert to be seen. Almost unusable. Quality of the buttons below the screen and the ones on the steering wheel remind me of a 90's car, creaking and with little if any mechanical feedback. The 2 spoke steering wheel, which looks odd to me is oversized and isn't circular, its some odd squarish shape that is a total annoyance when exiting corners, I guess at least its not a yoke. The gear shift is also odd, why they thought it needed some huge piano back 'platform' sticking out of the dash rather a simple control somewhere on the column is beyond me, Not only is it unnatural to twist a drive elector on a horizontal plane, it takes up way too much room.

Drive wise, I only had 5 minutes so its hard for me to make any specific judgements, ride was very good, acceleration adequate, once 1 pedal drive was switched on seem similar to a Tesla. When reversing, I noticed a shudder almost like an ICE engine about to stall, not good.

Value. I can''t see any value in the long range version at $60k D/A, its only $2k more for a Model 3. Mid range at $50k, still too high for the quality of the vehicle.` I feel the best value for this vehicle is the base model at 42K D/A, its enough money for a vehicle that could be used as a 2nd car, a runaround town that can be used long distance in a pinch. Perhaps many buyers would be better off with a 2nd hand 3.

PS, charge port in the same location as Tesla, which is nice.

MG4_EV_Automesse_Ludwigsburg_2022_1X7A5920.jpg

"MG4 EV Automesse Ludwigsburg 2022 1X7A5920" by Alexander Migl is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Oh, and I'll just add that the base and mid-spec models only have 6.6kW single phase onboard AC chargers. Sure, this might be fine for overnight charging, however I find it kind of insulting, if anyone isn't aware, that means if you plug into a 16A three phase charger somewhere you are only going to get a charge rate of 3.3kW let alone the 11kW that should be normal now. What a joke.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
Oh, and I'll just add that the base and mid-spec models only have 6.6kW single phase onboard AC chargers. Sure, this might be fine for overnight charging, however I find it kind of insulting, if anyone isn't aware, that means if you plug into a 16A three phase charger somewhere you are only going to get a charge rate of 3.3kW let alone the 11kW that should be normal now. What a joke.
Charge speed is of course no issue for anyone that doesn’t do road trips in their car and can charge from home, or anyone wanting to maximise solar

Agree, I don't see the slowish AC charge speed as too much of a concern for an entry level car.

Road trippers will be primarily DC charging anyway.

I just think tis a silly thing to leave out, why have multiple chargers? Just have one 11kW 3ph module and put it in all the cars. At 3.3kW, that's 12 hours for a full charge. Annoying when the onboard charger is rated at 6.6kW.

I just think tis a silly thing to leave out, why have multiple chargers? Just have one 11kW 3ph module and put it in all the cars. At 3.3kW, that's 12 hours for a full charge. Annoying when the onboard charger is rated at 6.6kW.

It's built to a price-point.

They have to leave things out or use less expensive components otherwise a $40K EV is no longer a $40K ev. There are higher specced offerings at higher price points.

How many 16A 3P power sources are there? I thought most were 32A 3P.

MG would have some research behind it, such as most buyers at the price point will be city commuters doing under the average 30km per day, and as they are cost conscious buyers they wont want to buy and pay an electrician to install a wall connector. I know someone with a ‘cheap‘ byd with batman tyres that have no grip. He drives half the range daily, but he has worked out that he can plug into a power point every night and on weekends rather than buy a wall box.

Reactions: Vostok
MG would have some research behind it, such as most buyers at the price point will be city commuters doing under the average 30km per day, and as they are cost conscious buyers they wont want to buy and pay an electrician to install a wall connector. I know someone with a ‘cheap‘ byd with batman tyres that have no grip. He drives half the range daily, but he has worked out that he can plug into a power point every night and on weekends rather than buy a wall box.

I here what you are saying, I am not talking about home charging, I am talking about AC charging in places like hotels, shopping centers, work etc. They will *generally* be wired at 16A/3ph should a 3ph supply be near. That's when the charging is going to be more of an issue. Most new EVs incorporate an 11kW onboard charger, it's penny pinching.

This reminds me of the options DCFC port in Chevy Bolts in the US... "Why pay for what your don't need?" You don't know you need it until you do, this is tiny amount of money in the scheme of a car, its not the thing people are looking for when they check the spec sheets, especially the average person.

Most new EVs incorporate an 11kW onboard charger
Quite a few don't. And the cost matters. Indeed in the US base Teslas 3/Ys are only 7kW.

But why not have a 22kW charger (which user to be a $10k option on Model Ss) or 63kW as some European Renault Zoe's came with (admittedly they didn't have DC)

It's like saying your roof can only fit 4kW of solar panels, but no you must purchase the 20kW inverter.

Quite a few don't. And the cost matters. Indeed in the US base Teslas 3/Ys are only 7kW.

But why not have a 22kW charger (which user to be a $10k option on Model Ss) or 63kW as some European Renault Zoe's came with (admittedly they didn't have DC)

It's like saying your roof can only fit 4kW of solar panels, but no you must purchase the 20kW inverter.

It matters simply because commercial AC charging is, like I said, is generally wired at 16A 3ph. Sure its easy to say that a US Model 3 only has a 7.6KW AC charger, that's fine, but you will always get the maximum charge rate that the EVSE provides simply because it will always be single phase in the US.

The 22kW AC "dual" charger option on the old Model S made a little more sense when EV's were in there infancy, DCFC was basically unavailable. 22kW was the 'fast charge 'of the time. 22kW is just not a common method to wire AC chargers in today's world and I don't see that changing unless enourmous battery sizes become more common. Need more than 11kW? Then just DCFC.

In terms of the ZOE, i think that was an experiment to see if the charger could be off loaded to the vehicle to reduce the infrastructure required by others. It turned out it wasn't the direction that the market headed. I assume those first chargers cost a fortune, but I am also certain that were 44kW, not 62kW.

The solar panel analogy doesn't fly for me, you don't randomly plug solar panels into an inverter on a day by day basis. And besides, the price difference of solar inverters from one kW rating to the next actually doesn't vary that much. That is my point overall, across all the 230/400v markets (that's all of Europe and more), a single 11kW on board charger makes sense.

As far as I am aware. I can't be bothered trawling through all the vehicles available, all the current Hyundai, Kia, BMW, MB etc vehicles are 11kW, only BYD and MG choose to skimp on this important issue.

BMW, MB etc vehicles are 11kW, only BYD and MG choose to skimp on this important issue.

I think you’ve answered your own question here.

BYD and MG are in a cutthroat contest for Australia’s cheapest EV. Even knocking $100 off the price makes a difference.

This means they have to find ways to keep the costs down.

BMW and Merc are clearly in a completely different market.

Reactions: paulp
I think you’ve answered your own question here.

BYD and MG are in a cutthroat contest for Australia’s cheapest EV. Even knocking $100 off the price makes a difference.

This means they have to find ways to keep the costs down.

BMW and Merc are clearly in a completely different market.

Still disagree,

Nice to see you cut off Kia and Hyundai there. All these inverters are more than liklely made in China anyway. And like you said its $100, just add it to the price, Stock one inverter rather than 2.

They didn't save money by putting in halogen headlamps instead of LEDs, not painting the mirror caps, making the dash out of hard plastic etc etc etc.

The 22kW AC "dual" charger option on the old Model S made a little more sense when EV's were in there infancy, DCFC was basically unavailable. 22kW was the 'fast charge 'of the time. 22kW is just not a common method to wire AC chargers in today's world and I don't see that changing unless enourmous battery sizes become more common. Need more than 11kW? Then just DCFC.

It’s interesting that EVX (of PoleCharger fame) built their units to support 2 x 22 kW AC charging. I asked them why they did this at Fully Charged Live earlier this year, since the vast majority of BEVs support 11 kW or less.

They said it was for “future proofing” but I agree with you, the trend for AC charging is not up. As the DCFC network expands, there is less and less need for “fast” AC charging, and I think a dwindling proportion of BEVs will support > 11 kW AC.

Having 2 x 22 kW EVSEs in their unit probably substantially increases the cost, possibly increases the size of the unit, the level of electrical protection required by Ausgrid, and reduces the number of poles it can be installed on since it would have to be dimensioned for 44 kW draw. I’m not convinced they made the right call, but I’m not the expert 🤷‍♂️.

Exactly

And looking at the price difference between 5, 10 and 20kW solar inverters, tends to suggest we are talking more than $100.

I've also only ever found AC chargers (or EVSEs) marked as 7kW or 22kW. (Including those EVX ones)
Indeed doing a quick scan on Plugshare in Sydney majority are 22kW, and I can only see Leppington Park & Ride at 11kW.
Of course charging a TM3 with a 22kW cable I'm never able to tell if it's actually 11kW or could go to 22kW if I had a larger charger in my car.

The original Hyundai Ioniq (no longer on sale, not the Ioniq 5) was only 4kW, later upgraded to 7kW.
And I think the 2021 EQC was only 7kW AC (and 110kW DC), 2022+ versions are 11kW AC.

Indeed it has been suggested in some places (mostly charging manufacturers) that cars could go DC only to save costs.
Don't think I'd be totally comfortable with this right now in Aus (but it is becoming more viable for city only cars, particularly if you could get say a $5k 11kW DC Home charger)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: OzVic and paulp
Having 2 x 22 kW EVSEs in their unit probably substantially increases the cost, possibly increases the size of the unit, the level of electrical protection required by Ausgrid, and reduces the number of poles it can be installed on since it would have to be dimensioned for 44 kW draw. I’m not convinced they made the right call, but I’m not the expert 🤷‍♂️.
If they want to be able to charge single-phase cars at 7kW - and they do, because those are fairly common - each voltage converter has to be built for 32A. If they want to be able to charge three-phase cars are 11kW, they need three of them. That means you end up with a 22kW charger. If the pole supply is a problem they could software limit the total draw to 11kW, though.

Don't think I'd be totally comfortable with this right now in Aus (but it is becoming more viable for city only cars, particularly if you could get say a $5k 11kW DC Home charger)
If you're going to be buying an 11kW DC charger anyway, you might as well buy it as part of the car, because then you don't need to pay for installation and it's available anywhere your car is, not just at home.

I think we will all just have to agree to disagree about the cost and usefulness of an 11kW charger. But my prediction going forward not far into the future, is that I expect even the cheapest EVs to start shipping with 11kW 3ph on-boards (That being 16A/11kW 3Ph and 32A/7.2kW 1ph).

But my prediction going forward not far into the future, is that I expect even the cheapest EVs

My prediction is that the majority of the base model, sub $40K EV's will be charged with a 10amp granny cable.

It's a very price sensitive end of the market and I can't see a lot of owners forking out for any type of wall charger install other than a powerpoint.

These cars have batteries around 50kwh, and even a granny cable can add half a tank overnight.

Reactions: paulp