Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC doesn't unlock from charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Has anyone been having issue with their UMC not unlocking from their car upon pressing the button? I have started to have this problem over the past few weeks - a real pain.

I usually have my phone with me in my pocket and previously this was enough to enable the cable to unlock and release so that I can put it away before I start my journey.
However, over the past couple of weeks I have had to physically unlock the car (via opening the rear passenger door) - only then does the UMC release from the charge port.

Before I give Tesla a shout I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this issue?

Cheers,
TN

Hi guys,

Has anyone been having issue with their UMC not unlocking from their car upon pressing the button? I have started to have this problem over the past few weeks - a real pain.

I usually have my phone with me in my pocket and previously this was enough to enable the cable to unlock and release so that I can put it away before I start my journey.
However, over the past couple of weeks I have had to physically unlock the car (via opening the rear passenger door) - only then does the UMC release from the charge port.

Before I give Tesla a shout I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this issue?

Cheers,
TN
I think that's the designed behaviour, as mine has always done that, perhaps because of deep sleep.

You don't have to open the rear door fully to wake the car. I've found the half-depressing the rear door handle, without actually opening the door, is enough to wake the car.

Reactions: MrBadger
I think that's the designed behaviour, as mine has always done that, perhaps because of deep sleep.

You don't have to open the rear door fully to wake the car. I've found the half-depressing the rear door handle, without actually opening the door, is enough to wake the car.
Thanks Roy,

Strangely, mine hasn't always done that. Previously I have been able to walk to my car and as long as I had my phone with me I could press the button on the UMC and it would release without any drama. But recently it's been a pain (first world problems o_O).
It may be due to deep sleep though (as you say), as I am not driving it as much for obvious reasons.

I'm due a mobile visit to sort one of my tail lights out at the end of the month so will ask the technician to see if he can shed any light.

Reactions: Roy W.
Happens if the car goes into a deep sleep. Keep sentry mode on and it will stay awake. Or wake it/turn on air conditioning before you get to the car
That makes sense! I used to warm the car up before i left for work in the morning so that obviously woke it up! I haven't done that the past few weeks because I haven't been driving it, or if I have been driving it I haven't needed to precondition.

Thanks chaps :)

I also think the behavior has changed over the last couple of months.

Previously I would only charge each night from 00:30 to 04:30, I would then be able to release the cable with the button at around 09:00 without a problem. Now I can’t do that, I have to unlock the charge port from my phone.

Reactions: TM3PTN
I also think the behavior has changed over the last couple of months.

Previously I would only charge each night from 00:30 to 04:30, I would then be able to release the cable with the button at around 09:00 without a problem. Now I can’t do that, I have to unlock the charge port from my phone.

It is odd.
But think the issue is because my behaviour has changed (i.e. i used to precondition in the morning and then take the cable out when i left the house therefore the car is already awake, whereas the past few times i haven't preconditioned and I have barely used the care so it is in deep sleep - as the kind gents have advised above). I'll try the preconditioning and then taking out the next time I leave the house (maybe in a few days time).