Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC granny charging speed - 3 pin plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
I'm quite surprised that I'm getting 10miles every hour! (SR+ version)

Not bad especially for a Sunday charge or a slow top up. Was expecting half that speed.

Screenshot_20190825-101018.png

For 10A at 234v, thats 2.34kW. Say you get 200Wh/mile in a SR, thats 5 miles per kWh (or 4 miles at 250Wh/mile for less efficient car/driving/conditions, 3 miles at 330Wh/mile for car/winter/spirited driving).

I suspect the numbers will not be taking into account charge losses, so keeping numbers simple, but not unreasonable, you might have 2kW going into the battery, or 2kWh per hour on charge.

So your 4 - 5 mile drive consuming 1 kWh will take ~30 minutes to top back up, or 8 - 10 miles per hour charging, conditions permitting - probably less in winter especially short journeys.

• Informative
Reactions: Fraank and davidmc
I'm quite surprised that I'm getting 10miles every hour! (SR+ version)

Not bad especially for a Sunday charge or a slow top up. Was expecting half that speed.
Not bad, is it :)

if you’d watched any YouTube videos from America that may be where you got the impression to expected half that speed. Generally they have 110v, although they do sometimes have a 220v socket for tumble drivers and other high load things.

e.g.

Last edited:
I've also been fairly happy with the charge speed using the home charger. It's kept us topped up every night without any trouble, though we haven't done any crazy long drives since getting the car.

I'll still be glad to get our Andersen charger installed, as we won't have to open the garage every time we want to plug in, but from a speed perspective (for normal daily use) the 9 mph charge has been fine.

I’ll be mostly charging at work because it’s free, and I haven’t bothered ordering a home charger. If I do need to charge at home during holidays etc I’ll use the UMC. And if I need extra juice faster there’s a 50kW station less than half a mile away and an eight bay supercharger six miles away.

Reactions: davidmc
I rented out a Model S 90D a couple of years back and I was touring Devon and Cornwall with it. At the time there were no superchargers but the hotel very kindly provided an extension cord, a rock and a bucket (to keep out the rain). I was getting 6-7 mph with it (you get more on the Model 3 due to its efficiency). Still it was enough for my daily touring - it was a life saver.

I've been happy with my 3 pin charging so far (moving soon so not worth installing a proper charger). But on Sunday night, a warning on the screen said that it was throttling back to 5A due to the heat! And indeed it did.

S

Having got the car faster than expected I'm going to be relying on the UMC for the next two months. I'm cautious of leaving it running overnight because it's having to run off an extension lead, but so far the charging speed seems like it will be manageable for daily driving.

Although plugging in yesterday when I'd driven down to 30% and being told it would be over 15hrs to charge was enough to make me look forward to the wall charger!