Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to drive - Authentication required alerts every hour/two hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE = "Wratran, post: 5331836, member: 96610"] Why would you keep passive entry off? ... isn't this a convenience item ... walk up door open ... walk away door locks ...

no chance of forgetting to lock or pull the key fob out [/ QUOTE]

Theft prevention here in the UK along with pin to drive. Stops the key fob relay attacks that are quite popular in the EU.

[QUOTE = "Wratran, post: 5331836, member: 96610"] Why would you keep passive entry off? ... isn't this a convenience item ... walk up door open ... walk away door locks ...

no chance of forgetting to lock or pull the key fob out [/ QUOTE]

Theft prevention here in the UK along with pin to drive. Stops the key fob relay attacks that are quite popular in the EU.
That make sense...I thought Tesla update the key fob firmware to combat relay attacks

Reactions: rickyjb
That car menu can only update v2 fobs, you need to change your v1’s to v2 at Tesla SeC. It costs app. €141.- plus taxes for one fob. Back to the subject, it still does something odd if not in use, here is another example - car not used since 12:48

32B75DF5-B2BA-405A-A885-E11F80ECBB08.jpeg

This what I found out yesterday, car was charging on UMC and I was away. These intermediate notifications has been always around but I had nothing to connect to the event, except dodgy wall plug. At my workplace they are with the mechanical timer that user can set on-and-off times. So perhaps there was some faults on the dial... But now here are some other events that occur only if car is not in use. For @airborne spoon I believe your AP failure is not in connection of the PS issue you had. As on the notifications page it warns me one time I start to drive and then next time nothing...
710E13D4-3123-4253-B36A-82AD6195339D.jpeg

EEAD9645-CC6B-4D76-83C8-F2D5990D8BA6.jpeg

This what I found out yesterday, car was charging on UMC and I was away. These intermediate notifications has been always around but I had nothing to connect to the event, except dodgy wall plug. At my workplace they are with the mechanical timer that user can set on-and-off times. So perhaps there was some faults on the dial... But now here are some other events that occur only if car is not in use. For @airborne spoon I believe your AP failure is not in connection of the PS issue you had. As on the notifications page it warns me one time I start to drive and then next time nothing...
View attachment 637817
View attachment 637818
Dude, you might want to get that checked out. If my power gets interrupted I do not get the "Vehicle may not restart" error. it seems like the BMS is faulting and stopping the charging, not a problem with the power.

Not to worry, I believe this has been noted here in TMC as some phantom behaviour of the car while not been in use (I’m on SW 2020.48.12.1). I have had no such messages on the car while I have used it on daily basis. On top of that I had service appointment scheduled last month and Tesla did some pre-evaluations remotely to confirm my concerns. They found nothing that makes them to worry about, my concern was about DC fast charging and the use of CHAdeMO adapter, not related to this phenomenon. They even cleared my accumulated eMMC memory to fresh up the performance and fixed remote climate control issues that I had.

Not to worry, I believe this has been noted here in TMC as some phantom behaviour of the car while not been in use (I’m on SW 2020.48.12.1). I have had no such messages on the car while I have used it on daily basis. On top of that I had service appointment scheduled last month and Tesla did some pre-evaluations remotely to confirm my concerns. They found nothing that makes them to worry about, my concern was about DC fast charging and the use of CHAdeMO adapter, not related to this phenomenon. They even cleared my accumulated eMMC memory to fresh up the performance and fixed remote climate control issues that I had.
Yeesh that'd give me anxiety and I'm not an anxious type.

Hello!

New Tesla Owner here (CPO March 2017 Model S 75D bought in November, upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in early January).

I've noticed in my alert history that I seem to be getting the "Unable to drive - Authentication required" (GTW_w358) alerts approximately every hour or two hours. This happens when I am definitely not using the car, especially in the middle of the night when the car is parked and locked.

Does anyone else see this or know why this happens?

View attachment 632614
When I had my 2015 S in for service and it was completed, in order to take the car I had to double tap the unlock button on the fob and this error went away.

When I had my 2015 S in for service and it was completed, in order to take the car I had to double tap the unlock button on the fob and this error went away.
Yeah, I mean the referenced error will happen if the the car's on and you get out with the key in your pocket. However, that's not what I was referring to in my original post. I was referring to those alerts occurring when the car is parked and locked.

Hello!

New Tesla Owner here (CPO March 2017 Model S 75D bought in November, upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in early January).

I've noticed in my alert history that I seem to be getting the "Unable to drive - Authentication required" (GTW_w358) alerts approximately every hour or two hours. This happens when I am definitely not using the car, especially in the middle of the night when the car is parked and locked.

Does anyone else see this or know why this happens?

View attachment 632614
Go to security panel and enable the passive entry then try again.

I know it's a while back, but did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same errors (not quite so frequent) and also do not want/have passive entry on.
Nope, I still get them as far as I know. Haven't looked lately. This seems like a relatively easy bug for Tesla to fix, but I suppose not that important in the overall scheme of things. I guess most people probably have passive entry turned on.