Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unable to Drive" Remove charge cable ERROR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance we have a link to a video that shows how to check this? The service center is saying the charger is failing yet it shows no signs when it is charging the car.
Go to service.tesla.com, register (it is free) and you will have the access to the "shop manual" on how to proceed not only for your actual issue but any issue with your car. This is not a hard task to make sure that drain is clean. I have a 2013 which does not have the same charge port as yours but I did replace the port by myself once with a used one and saved about 600$ in total. Back then I did not have access to the above mentioned "shop manual" (it has not always been free) and relied on posts in this forum to change it. Now with the "shop manual" directly from Tesla, it's even better. Obviously, you have to have a few tools and be somewhat handy but nothing out of this world. Good luck.

It’s quite hard to make a evidence video if you have that issue. If you get to the door and can see the sensor housing then it’s clear the the sealing did not lasted that long. Yes, there are now the official manuals available but my quick guide is a combination of the several sections available there. Bear in mind that there are different items, one is charge port and another is charge port door. Both can trigger dedicated errors. That door does exist as non-motorised and motorised version. Obviously now also for the refresh car.

Good evening all, I’m revisiting this topic as I have a 2016 Model S 75 that started having this problem. After having the car towed over an hour away, the service center said the error had cleared and thought it was the charge port, so I agreed to have them swap it out. Fast forward one week and the car got the same error today. Thankfully after a couple of reboots and a manual release cycle of the charge port, the error cleared and I was able to drive the car home, where it charged like normal and will drive without error now. After speaking to the service center again, they are stating the car will need a new charger. However, the car has never failed to charge and charge at the full 48 amps at home without error. Any thoughts before we invest $2k in a charger? As it appears the service center is guessing.
Absolutely they are guessing! One has nothing to do with the other

Absolutely they are guessing! One has nothing to do with the other
This was might thought as well. It did appear that water was trapped in the charge port, although it be a very small amount. They stated on the service report they unplugged the drain port but it appeared to me it was stopped up again and now I have it flowing good. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

So I checked and no water in the housing. Yet today, I received the same error after driving the car for a week without issue. This time though I manually opened the charge port and inserted the mobile charging wand (no power to mobile unit). The car locked on the wand, and I clicked the button. The car unlocked form the mobile wand and the car started and drove as usual. I still struggle to think the tech is right that this car needs a new onboard charger as there are zero issues charging. Any thoughts?

I still struggle to think the tech is right that this car needs a new onboard charger as there are zero issues charging. Any thoughts?
Did the service had a thought to change the charge port (it’s not the door with the sensors) instead as this might be cheaper compared to charger. I had an issue with the wand not wanting to unlock few years back and after they changed the the charge port it started to work again. It was under my warranty but the invoice showed something around €850.-

Did the service had a thought to change the charge port (it’s not the door with the sensors) instead as this might be cheaper compared to charger. I had an issue with the wand not wanting to unlock few years back and after they changed the the charge port it started to work again. It was under my warranty but the invoice showed something around €850.-
Yes the first time the car showed the error, I had it towed to Tesla and they diagnosed it as a faulty charge port and swapped it out. A week later, which was the first day I ran it through a car wash, it gave the error a couple of trips after the car wash (not the next startup after the car wash). The car hasn’t gotten rained on or washed sense that day and it hasn’t given the error sense till yesterday after the attaching the charging wand and removing it fixed it first time. It’s almost as if the car has a sensor to tell if a wand is attached, and this one seems to be misreading.