Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to send or receive texts - 23 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I had 22 Model Y and was able to send and receive texts. Now that I have 23 Model Y I'm unable to do so. I've rebooted car and phone. Repaired phone numerous times. When I try to send message car replies Message not delivered. Phones are Samsung. Before you tell me issue is due to Samsung email app and to delete the app, you can not do so as app is a system app and you can not delete it or disable it. So, can someone help or yell me how to get support from Tesla? Thanks!

Reactions: Carol525
On my galaxy S21 on Verizon running android 13 (oneui 5.1) I was able to remove the app as it is not a system app in my case. Samsung Email is downloadable from the Samsung app store. Maybe you have a different phone model, carrier, android Verizon, or are not in the US. But removing the app fixed the text messaging issue for me. I understand there are variations of the same phone with slightly different ROMs with different restrictions out there. Sorry, but that's just from my personal experience. Hopefully you can find a solution that works for your setup.

Hi heavymetalm8r,
Thanks for the reply. I have an S9 on T-Mobile. Not sure why it worked on my 22 Y. Perhaps it was because the 22 was not AMD. Glad you were able to delete the app. Maybe the best solution is for me to upgrade my phone.
Again many thanks for your reply.

Anyone else have an idea?

I have samsung a32 and can't send or received texts through my 22 MY. Should I upgrade my samsung phone to fix this? I run a rideshare business and desperately need to communicate via talk to text while driving.

Hi rayshare,

If possible delete the Samsung email app and use a different app for email. I did this after I upgraded my S9 (I couldn't delete the Samsung email app on my S9 phone). I now use Bluemail on my new phone and things work. If you can't delete the Samsung app then you should probably upgrade.
Hope this helps.

Hi rayshare,

If possible delete the Samsung email app and use a different app for email. I did this after I upgraded my S9 (I couldn't delete the Samsung email app on my S9 phone). I now use Bluemail on my new phone and things work. If you can't delete the Samsung app then you should probably upgrade.
Hope this helps.
Ok. Will try deleting email app and report back. Thanks much.

I never had problems with my Model 3 & Samsung S23, but no luck for my new 2023 Model Y. I unpaired & re-paired my phone several times, checking all permissions & settings but still no go. Mobile Service came today & said it's a known issue with (new?) Ys & Samsung phones. He then paired his Apple phone with my car & it worked, so it wasn't the Tesla. He googled fixes & the comments were saying it was the email app that comes with Samsung phones, like the one I was using for my hotmail account. He didn't have any suggestions so I put my email account onto the Outlook app, wiped out the Samsung app & it worked!

Hi,
I had 22 Model Y and was able to send and receive texts. Now that I have 23 Model Y I'm unable to do so. I've rebooted car and phone. Repaired phone numerous times. When I try to send message car replies Message not delivered. Phones are Samsung. Before you tell me issue is due to Samsung email app and to delete the app, you can not do so as app is a system app and you can not delete it or disable it. So, can someone help or yell me how to get support from Tesla? Thanks!
I just had the same problem with my new 2023 MY & Samsung S23. No problems when I had same phone and M3. Long story short, I put my hotmail account onto the Outlook app and deactivated the Samsung email app. It worked perfectly!

I'm confused. I thought this blog was about not being able to receive texts in the 2003 model Y, yet I see people talking about deleting "e-mail applications" to fix the problem. I have the same problem with being unable to get text messages in my 2003 model Y. I have a Samsung S21 plus phone. How does deleting an e-mail application fix a text problem?
And I'm not trying to be "that guy", I just really wanna know.

I'm confused. I thought this blog was about not being able to receive texts in the 2003 model Y, yet I see people talking about deleting "e-mail applications" to fix the problem. I have the same problem with being unable to get text messages in my 2003 model Y. I have a Samsung S21 plus phone. How does deleting an e-mail application fix a text problem?
And I'm not trying to be "that guy", I just really wanna know.
Well, how about that! I just went outside "after deleting the Samsung e-mail application on my phone, which I don't use anyway", and low and behold my texting now works. I absolutely would not be able to have ever figured that out without using this Tesla community. That is really crazy that an "e-mail" application would gum up the works trying to text using a Samsung phone. Thanks everybody for the help!

Yes. You can send them through your phone like normal. For convenience if someone sends you a text you will see it on the display in the bottom left corner with a question press to read your text while you are driving. If you press it the car will read it to you. Here in California you are not supposed to be reading or sending text from you phone while you are driving. If you do have the car read it to you, you have an option on display to dictate a reply to the text. And when you are done you can send it. Of course you probably should be in FSD so you don't get into an accident. I'm sure there is more to it that someone else can explain.