Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under what conditions would you refuse delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked mine up today (Sat). It looked beautiful! There was 1 little bubble in the paint and a few little nicks, but nothing else. They said they'd set up an appointment and fix it so I took the car. It was raining when drove home and pouring most of the rest of the day so I didn't really get to go out and enjoy it much yet.

Reactions: 1 person
I rejected delivery yesterday. Would you have done the same?

Small issues, and maybe if I hadn't read this forum I wouldn't have rejected, but rather fix it when I can check the work, rather than later.

DA (Delivery Adviser) said it might not get fixed in Q2. I said if that's the case, then I'll make a decision on the car at that time.
DA came back and said I won't be getting this car, and the next car I get won't be in until Q3 and can't promise it won't have issues.
I'll probably wait a few days and then ask for a deposit refund if car can't be delivered in Q2

Some photos:
OneDrive

Issues to be fixed:
Paint chip on edge of drivers door
Scratches on front passenger door trim

Issues DA took note of:
Small Panel next to driver side mirror, dull paint -- maybe not properly polished/waxed

Issues DA said won't be fixed:
Rear trunk slightly misaligned. I can slightly notice it. DA said it was within spec
Random bulges in door/trunk rubber trim. I noticed the floor model had these too, in different spots. DA said it would be left as is

Non Issues but annoyances that should be cleaned prior to delivery
5 or so spots where I thought there was a scratch... DA said these were wax residue.
A lot of white powder in rear trunk well, wax residue.
Car could've used a wash before presenting -- pollen/dust from sitting outside

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I rejected delivery yesterday. Would you have done the same?

Small issues, and maybe if I hadn't read this forum I wouldn't have rejected, but rather fix it when I can check the work, rather than later.

DA (Delivery Adviser) said it might not get fixed in Q2. I said if that's the case, then I'll make a decision on the car at that time.
DA came back and said I won't be getting this car, and the next car I get won't be in until Q3 and can't promise it won't have issues.
I'll probably wait a few days and then ask for a deposit refund if car can't be delivered in Q2

Some photos:
OneDrive

Issues to be fixed:
Paint chip on edge of drivers door
Scratches on front passenger door trim

Issues DA took note of:
Small Panel next to driver side mirror, dull paint -- maybe not properly polished/waxed

Issues DA said won't be fixed:
Rear trunk slightly misaligned. I can slightly notice it. DA said it was within spec
Random bulges in door/trunk rubber trim. I noticed the floor model had these too, in different spots. DA said it would be left as is

Non Issues but annoyances that should be cleaned prior to delivery
5 or so spots where I thought there was a scratch... DA said these were wax residue.
A lot of white powder in rear trunk well, wax residue.
Car could've used a wash before presenting -- pollen/dust from sitting outside
Is this the bar you’ve set for other cars you’ve purchased in the past?

• Disagree
Reactions: samk579

So what if that's the bar that he has or hasn't set? I'm still baffled that so many of you are willing to accept a brand new car that has paint chips and scratches and obvious panel alignment issues. I definitely have set this bar for the previous cars I have purchased, new. Can these issues be fixed by a third party? Yes. Should consumers have to drop off a brand new car at a body shop to have paint defects fixed? No.

Everyone should be rejecting any new tesla that has paint chips and dents, imo. It's a new car, not a used car.

My DA kept saying "It's within spec" also and then said Tesla wouldn't send them a car for delivery if it wasn't "within spec". I asked him what the "spec" was and he said he didn't know, only that it was "within spec"...... They must teach them the "within spec" phrase on day 1 of new employee training...

My DA kept saying "It's within spec" also and then said Tesla wouldn't send them a car for delivery if it wasn't "within spec". I asked him what the "spec" was and he said he didn't know, only that it was "within spec"...... They must teach them the "within spec" phrase on day 1 of new employee training...

mine is also saying 'within spec' . lol i haven't asked what spec is though.

I've only bought a few cars. None came with visibly obvious defects, or wax residue, wax dust, and pollen at delivery

I don't think I've ever looked over a new car quite as critically as I did this one. I think that's because as a new car I expect it to have panels/doors/trunk that line up correctly and be free of dents and scratches so I never worried about it. I trusted it was ok. Because of posts on this forum I knew I couldn't trust that with Tesla so I went in with a more critical eye. I never would have seen the things that I did notice if I hadn't been paying attention to the paint job. They were barely noticeable and I only saw them because I was looking for anything that might be wrong. If there had been panel/trunk alignment issues or dents, I definitely would say something and reject the car no matter the brand because it's a new car and shouldn't be like that.

Reactions: samk579
I was ready to walk away from delivery last month if there were issues, the ones I found were minimal and within my Specs. I still debated walking away. Delivery team not helpful at all but the service team was great. It is definitely the best car I have ever owned by a large margin on all fronts. I did the most through review I have done for a new car by a large margin and had two others helping me.